uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

[Laptop] Changing Hard drive

I am planning on buying a Dell Refurbished 14" D620 Laptop from Newegg. It is dell or gateway that you have to buy hard drives from them? If not Dell how hard is it to change the hard drive?

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dEQFnbqU

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 2l9XXOrQ

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks that was fast. The one showed are they ssd drive or laptop drives?

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne

Premium Member

It doesnt matter. It should be the same size.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by AlphaOne:

It doesnt matter. It should be the same size.

Ok I never have messed with laptop just desktops.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
The first one is a rotating disk hard drive, the second one below is a SSD.

Every make and model is a little different, with some, like my new laptop, you remove two screws and the cover over everything comes off. With some others, just the cover for the HD comes off. For others, such as in the above, no cover comes off but the HD slides out. Working on laptops involves delicacy, care, being methodical, and writing down where each screw came out from. Some laptops are held together with literally over a dozen screws, maybe even 20 of them! Most every laptop has a factory manual that explains in detail how to open and remove parts, such as the keyboard and mainboard. Search for your manual and get to know it.

Changing drives is pretty easy, but changing mainboards is difficult.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks I will not be messing around with main board
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Usually Latitudes are easy to work on, especially the D-series (great laptops IMO, I have a D410 at work). Newer Inspirons can be trickier to replace hard drives on, some of them you have to remove the keyboard or get nearly down to the motherboard just to access the hard drive.

If you're thinking about it, an SSD would work great with that laptop. It would run way faster than any drive that it would come with.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Caddy, sorry, I realize now that my statements might seem to cause one to think changing hard drives is too hard to do, but to amend, with most laptops it's pretty easy. So's changing RAM. Some are easy to change optical drives and even the wireless controller.

In any event, if you can, take some time to find and download and presuse the manufacturer's manual, most such manuals will detail how to work on the given unit, making life a lot easier.

Personally, I think they need to start making laptops use only a max of 6 screws to do the entire device, it could be done.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

If it was a lot involved I probably not buy that model.
I probably used for 12 days and that all. I am planning on going to my grandson high school graduation in June. I will not be needing a laptop until youngest grandson graduates in 2018. This depends on my daughter she may move back to Washington from Hawaii next summer.
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Caddy, sorry, I realize now that my statements might seem to cause one to think changing hard drives is too hard to do, but to amend, with most laptops it's pretty easy. So's changing RAM. Some are easy to change optical drives and even the wireless controller.

I don't know why you need to apologize. In reality the complexity varies a lot depending on the make and model. I have run into ones (the first Acer Aspire One, for example) which require stripping everything out, keyboard, touchpad, memory, WLAN card, antennas, etc, before you could get to the hard drive. Some poorly-designed models have cases that are snapped together using flimsy clips (in addition to screws), that are guaranteed to break upon disassembly even if you know their locations. Some even have the hard drive secured using adhesive. And more and more laptops use 7 mm tall drives that are not as common as traditional 9.5 mm tall ones. While these might not necessarily apply to the OP, they are still things to watch out for when working on portable computers.

In my experience, usually the bigger/bulkier the laptop is, the easier it is to work on.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

said by broccoli:

In my experience, usually the bigger/bulkier the laptop is, the easier it is to work on.

Agreed. My Inspiron E1705 is stupid easy to take apart. More room to spread the components out or give them their own access door.