Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger

Re: [Laptop] Changing Hard drive

The first one is a rotating disk hard drive, the second one below is a SSD.

Every make and model is a little different, with some, like my new laptop, you remove two screws and the cover over everything comes off. With some others, just the cover for the HD comes off. For others, such as in the above, no cover comes off but the HD slides out. Working on laptops involves delicacy, care, being methodical, and writing down where each screw came out from. Some laptops are held together with literally over a dozen screws, maybe even 20 of them! Most every laptop has a factory manual that explains in detail how to open and remove parts, such as the keyboard and mainboard. Search for your manual and get to know it.

Changing drives is pretty easy, but changing mainboards is difficult.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks I will not be messing around with main board
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Usually Latitudes are easy to work on, especially the D-series (great laptops IMO, I have a D410 at work). Newer Inspirons can be trickier to replace hard drives on, some of them you have to remove the keyboard or get nearly down to the motherboard just to access the hard drive.

If you're thinking about it, an SSD would work great with that laptop. It would run way faster than any drive that it would come with.