spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02

VOIP Carriers in Granby QC Canada office, Besides ISPTELECOM

I'm wondering if anyone knows of, or knows a way to find out, exactly what carriers have VOIP equipment in what offices. In my case I'm concerned about the Granby office in Quebec Canada.

As far as I know, the only REAL VOIP carrier in that office, who actually have equipment in there, is ISPTELECOM. For simplicity sake, they SUCK. It doesn't matter who I get trunking from, be it voip.ms, Anveo, VoiceMeUp, etc, etc, and etc.... They all buy their time from ISPTELECOM. The second I go to any other center that is served by anyone, but these boneheads, I don't have problems. Even if I'm with voip.ms, and get a DID from some far flung location, that isn't served by ISPTELECOM, it's beautiful. The second it hits their network, specifically the Granby center, it goes to dogshit.

I've tested with every hardware imaginable, from DSL, to Cable, to Fiber, every provider thinkable, every combination possible... And all with the same results as long as it touches ISPTELECOM. Biggest complaint is either call quality is 75% jittery, or calls don't complete and just hang after dial stage. I've launched tickets with every provider (in the dozens) and all fingers point back to these guys.

I'm at my witt's end because I need DIDs from this office, no exception. But I'm stuck for ever with ISPTELECOM as a brick wall in my face.

Anyone else out there have REAL equipment in this CO and not just renting from these guys?

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

1 edit
I've this Granby number pointed to an echo test: XXXXXXXXXX edit: (number removed) We now have enough test samples thanks

Perhaps some could test it and see if they can experiment the same issue you're having with Granby? I personally can't hear any sound anomalies.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
On a side note, I can get you a Granby DID from a different CLEC. Let me know if you want to test it.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
reply to voxframe
said by voxframe:

I'm wondering if anyone knows of, or knows a way to find out, exactly what carriers have VOIP equipment in what offices. In my case I'm concerned about the Granby office in Quebec Canada.

Here you go. These are all the carriers with equipment in Granby: »www.localcallingguide.com/lca_pr···h=170360

Plenty of choice of CLECs.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

Jimmo04
Teksavvy

join:2005-03-25
Gatineau, QC
reply to voxframe
Here's my experience... from 2009.

»Voip.ms DID quality varies?

I'm still keeping my MTS Allstream DID!

hwittenb

join:2003-12-20
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

I've this Granby number pointed to an echo test: 4503051149

Perhaps some could test it and see if they can experiment the same issue you're having with Granby? I personally can't hear any sound anomalies.

I called the echo test number using a variety of providers from my location in Northern California.

The echo test "lady" was initially received with good audio sound using all providers.

The echo back of my voice was good calling the number using voip.ms. Calling the number using other providers the echo back sound ranged from terrible to fair. The worst was GoogleVoice where the echo back words were broken up and barely legible. The best of the other providers still provided a hollow sounding voice and I would not call any of them good. The other providers I used to call the number were callwithus, anveo, future-nine, localphone, callcentric

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
said by hwittenb:

said by MartinM:

I've this Granby number pointed to an echo test: 4503051149

I called the echo test number using a variety of providers from my location in Northern California.

The echo test "lady" was initially received with good audio sound using all providers.

The echo back of my voice was good calling the number using voip.ms. Calling the number using other providers the echo back sound ranged from terrible to fair. The worst was GoogleVoice where the echo back words were broken up and barely legible. The best of the other providers still provided a hollow sounding voice and I would not call any of them good. The other providers I used to call the number were callwithus, anveo, future-nine, localphone, callcentric

I'm suprised all providers are experiencing issues with ISPT CLEC on Granby.

I now have this Granby number configured for echo test: 4508770650, this is with a different CLEC we deal with, none of the sound quality anomalies could be replicated.

I'll gladly offer Granby numbers to the OP with this CLEC at the same rate, and we'll also switch our offered numbers for that rate center until ISPT resolves their issue with Granb affected numbers.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

tbrummell2

join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to hwittenb
Same results as hwittenb, using GV & CWU, calling the first echo test number the playback of "her" voice is fine in the initial greeting, but then crap. Using the 2nd listed number the whole echo test is good.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
reply to voxframe
Confirmed the other users' results when calling from a Telus PRI in Toronto: 4503051149 sounds awful, 4508770650 sounds good.

hwittenb

join:2003-12-20
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

I now have this Granby number configured for echo test: 4508770650, this is with a different CLEC we deal with, none of the sound quality anomalies could be replicated.

I placed test calls to the new echo test number you posted and the sound was significantly better. I called using the same group of voip providers. There was a minor difference between the different providers however the sound quality was all in the reasonably good range.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to toro
said by toro:

Confirmed the other users' results....

So this brings up a good question that I just can't figure out from a technical point of view:

[Why] should one CLEC sound so much better than another CLEC, in the same rate center?

AFAIK there is only one quality level of electrons....

We know there can be quality issues when we are making an outbound call (termination), some termination carriers may have better routing and lines than others.

But that should not matter when the variation is at the receiving end (two CLECs in the same rate center).

voxframe

reply to voxframe
I'll gladly take you up on that offer Martin. If you guys can give me a breath of fresh air on this issue it'll make my week.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
reply to PX Eliezer
Based on my (limited) understanding of the technology, the PSTN has to be converted to IP at some point. Perhaps this means that ISP Telecom's equipment at the Granby CO is not working properly.

voxframe

reply to voxframe
That's my take on it too.

I know the CO well enough to know there really aren't many VOIP clients in the area. I would be willing to bet voip.ms doesn't have even a dozen clients out of this CO. (I also bet that half of them are my numbers in some form)

The only VOIP provider that uses that office that people know about is Vonage, and I think they use ISPTELECOM as well, but I think they have migrated or are migrating away as SOME Vonage clients out of this CO have flawless service, and some have total garbage. But Vonage is the only provider to somewhat get good service, but it's dependent on the DID. They are either all good or all bad.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
reply to Mango
said by Mango:

Perhaps this means that ISP Telecom's equipment at the Granby CO is not working properly.

That's my bet. Perhaps it's simply overloaded or has partially failed and the remaining components can't handle the full load. Another possibility is that they don't have enough bandwidth and are using compression to maximize the number of channels they can handle. That's a total shot in the dark, by the way.

said by voxframe:

The only VOIP provider that uses that office that people know about is Vonage, and I think they use ISPTELECOM as well, but I think they have migrated or are migrating away as SOME Vonage clients out of this CO have flawless service, and some have total garbage. But Vonage is the only provider to somewhat get good service, but it's dependent on the DID. They are either all good or all bad.

AcroVoice has customers in this rate center using two different CLECs. No reports of problems whatsoever. Neither of these CLECs are ISP Telecom.

I expect any voip.ms customer who takes Martin up on his offer to switch to a CLEC other than ISP Telecom will be happy with the results.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

voxframe

reply to voxframe
What absolutely surprises me, is how other people in this CO aren't screaming. The call quality is horrible, almost all the time. This has been something ongoing for at least a year or two for us. I've launched ticket after ticket, thinking it's us, only to come back empty handed.

I've even done the same tests with my DIDs as Martin did, and send them to audio tests directly on the voip.ms servers, and they sound terrible. So it's obvious the problem is local to the CO/ISPT... But how this has gone on for so long is really baffling.

As a side note, Martin and I have made contact off the forums and he is taking very good care of me and my issues. Thank you very much Martin! I hope we get this one solved. VOIP was turning more into a silly novelty, instead of a communications medium, every second I was using it.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by voxframe:

What absolutely surprises me, is how other people in this CO aren't screaming. The call quality is horrible, almost all the time. This has been something ongoing for at least a year or two for us. I've launched ticket after ticket, thinking it's us, only to come back empty handed.

One observation would be, perhaps there are not that many people in the Granby area using VoIP, and of those many will be using other providers.

But the broader question is: If you as an individual have filed "ticket after ticket", and I presume that you are not totally alone, how come this was not noticed by upper management?

I am not even mentioning the provider's name, as I think this can be a general issue.

Shouldn't the VoIP provider have some kind of system to track unusual or recurring problems?

If two customers each file 5 complaints about Granby (as an example) or if five customers each file 2 complaints about Granby, someone needs to notice that and put it together....

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 edit
let's not fall off topic. We have many numbers in that rate center (Granby). No we never really had complains, or anything taht jump out of the ordinary, however we're working with the provider at the moment.

Back on topic for the OP, as he said, we're communicating via private and have at least 2 solutions to resolve his issue. Meanwhile ISPT is working closely with us.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Yeppers. Martin is taking care of the issue for me and I'm quite pleased.

As a side note, I'm just curious as to what ISPT is saying at this point. Have they identified a problem that could be causing this?

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Any news Martin?

Sent a few PMs and no answer.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
Will reply to it later today as it's a business day.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Coming up to 7PM... Nothing so far

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

Will reply to it later today as it's a business day.

Bet you didn't realize how high you set the bar, after your post from the yacht in Mexico on New Years Eve!

voxframe

reply to voxframe
LOL! I missed that one

voxframe

reply to voxframe
I should add, I'm not pressing the issue, I'm more curious than anything else.

I'm just really interested to know exactly what the problem was after all this time. I've spent months attempting to debug this.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to voxframe
The initial echo test we ran with the members in this thread, was misleading as they (ISPTelecom) use some kind of echo cancellation per their main system administrator. I now have the number 4503051149 setup with a different type of test, which is it does a beep, you can then talk and when you press a digit or wait a few second it will play back what you say. I wasn't able to reproduce issues when doing that. ISPTelecom is also telling us they don't have any reports of issues with Granby. I can also confirm we have a few hundred numbers in the Granby rate center.

Now, I'm not saying that the customer is not experiencing issues, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to have Voxframe satisfied and rule out any issues he may have, even if that means porting the number to a different carrier or any means necessary, and I will follow up with him diligently via PM.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Hmmm very strange indeed!

I don't know what to say, I'm puzzled. I tried the new test and it seems ok for the most part. Gets a little funky when done over a cell phone, but that's a given.

Martin thanks again for all your work on this I truly appreciate it

voxframe

1 edit
reply to voxframe
As an addon, I'm very surprised that you have so many active numbers in that CO. This area isn't very "up to date" when it comes to stuff like VOIP etc.

It's tough to tell just how many COs are actually switched in Granby as well as it's not listed properly on any lookups. You can't tell what towns are remotes off it.

For instance, in my town (Knowlton, 243/242) we have a "full" CO with a DMS-10, but Bell got cheap and never installed a switching matrix. Soooo even though we have a switch here, it's set up to send all the calls to Granby to be switched. Which doesn't show properly in the listing. I know there's a few towns in this area that do the same stunt as well. I'm only familiar with towns and offices to the south of Granby, and I think there are at least 3-4 towns to the south that are remotes on granby, so who knows how many there are in total. The office may be much "bigger" than I think.

EDIT - As an example
Knowlton
450-242
450-243
Is listed as a remote (I know it's hosted by Granby) but that link is never shown

Cowansville
450-263
450-260
450-266
450-306
450-815
450-931
450-955
Is also listed as a remote (And I know it's hosted by Granby) but it's not listed like that.

And there's two more towns that I know of as well in the same situation to the south.

(Which is why some VOIP carriers can claim to get Knowlton numbers, even though I know there is ZERO voip equipment in the Knowlton CO... Been in there many times)

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Hmmm interesting!!!

Just noticed a nice new email from voip.ms with new rate centers! One of them being Knowlton lol!

Sweet! Been waiting for this for years.

Martin, is this with the CLEC or through ISPT? I'm just curious. This is awesome!

voxframe

reply to voxframe
Anything Martin?

As a side note, my order for two Knowlton DID's failed.

Apparently, Knowlton can only be ported, and not ordered from. Which I'm pretty sure is inaccurate as well. Knowing how the setup is for this CO and its host, I'm willing to bet even porting isn't possible.

(This would be the 3rd time I've seen a carrier offer Knowlton, only to withdraw it because as it turns out it's not VOIP capable)