All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BobBass
join:2008-12-03
Exton, PA

BobBass

Re: Looking for soundbar that can be controlled by Comcast remot

After researching this purchase for WEEKS and now with some thoughts in mind from DSLREPORTS members' input, it looks like I'm going to go with the JBL Cinema SB 200. It has all the features I'm looking for except for EQ, but that is virtually impossible to find. Many reviewers used the word "clarity" in their descriptions, and that's what I'm most interested in. Kinda bizarre that JBL cannot be found at HHGREGG or BESTBUY but is available and in stock at my local...WALMART! I'll be heading there tomorrow.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ADVICE!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Very cool, let us know how you like it

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to BobBass

Premium Member

to BobBass
Reviews on Amazon are very good as long as you don't need the Bluetooth and plan to connect with optical.

»www.amazon.com/JBL-Cinem ··· a+SB+200
BobBass
join:2008-12-03
Exton, PA

1 recommendation

BobBass

Picked up the JBL this morning for the regular store selling price of $248. Stopped by Lowe's on the way home for some black heavy duty cable ties. Brought it in the house, unboxed it, read the instructions, suspended it from the TV mount, made the optical and AC connections, plugged it in, fired everything up and it is working great!

For some reason the remote gave me some agita for about five minutes. It had one of those little plastic shims to prevent the battery from making contact which I removed, but still no response. I removed the battery and it checked out at 3.3V. Put it back and still nothing. Pulled it again and rubbed the battery on my shirt, replaced it, still nothing. Then, I thought it might be an issue with the proximity to the TV. I shut off the TV and then the unit responded. MIXED EMOTIONS FOR SURE. Fired up the TV again and everything was working as it should including the remote. WHO KNOWS?

I then paired the JBL with the volumes & mute of the Comcast remote as per instructions...WORKED PERFECTLY THE FIRST TIME! The Bluetooth streaming is not important to me. I'll give that a shot at a later time.

The sound? HUGE improvement over the onboard speakers. More highs and lows, although the latter will not blow anyone away. That wasn't a major consideration, anyway. What's nice is even after only having it running for a few hours, I noticed that you can keep it at an overall lower DB level than the original speakers and hear dialog just fine. There are also "finer gradation levels" of sound. BTW, I'm a 64 year old musician whose ears have been ravaged by innumerable gigs over the years, and clarity is one of the main reasons we needed this.

So, if anyone is looking to improve the overall sound of their new thin flatscreen and retain use of their cable remote for $250, this is a viable option.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. This is a Fabulous Forum!

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you got a great deal.