spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Slappy

@cgocable.net

New laptop can't connect to E3000 5ghz band.

Hi all,
My brother in law purchased a new asus laptop on the weekend and we can't get it to connect to the 5ghz N-channel. We have seperate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and seperate passwords. His iPad/AppleTv see the SSID for the 5ghz and connect fine, but his new laptop can't even see it. Not sure of the firmware version he currently has on the E3000, but I know its not the latest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anymore info is needed just ask.

Thanks...

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Does the laptop support the 5GHz band? Might seem like a silly question, but I bought an ASUS laptop this summer and it does not (I also have an E3000, coincidentally).

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Slappy
A lot of notebooks, even newer models, do not necessarily have dual-band N connectvity. Double-check your notebook's features to see if the wifi connector supports dual band or not. It does not matter what brand the notebook is, it is a matter of what that individual model supports. There are ASUS notebooks that have 5ghz 11n connectivity and there are some that do not.

The E3000 always was dual band, so although he should have the most up to date firmware installed, that should not be an issue. Besides which, you already know that there is an existing SSID for that 5ghz band. If other devices can find it, and the notebook can not...

BTW, if the notebook does not support 5ghz 11N, and if that is an issue, he could opt to put in a dual band usb wireless adapter.
--
Deeds, not words

Slappy

@cgocable.net
reply to Slappy
Thanks for the help. I'll get him to check with speccy and see whats installed. The website where he bought it from says its included:

Model K55A-DH51-CA
Operating System Windows 8 (64 bits)
Type Consumer Notebooks
Processor Intel i5-3210M (2.50 GHz)
Standard Memory 6GB DDR3
Memory Expansion Max. to 8GB
Hard Drive 500GB HDD
Optical Drive DVD-Writer
Display Size 15.6" (1366x768)
Display Technology Active Matrix TFT Color LCD
Graphics Intel HD Graphic 4000
Wireless 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth Yes
Webcam Yes
HDMI Yes

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Slappy :

Thanks for the help. I'll get him to check with speccy and see whats installed. The website where he bought it from says its included:Wireless 802.11b/g/n

Usually this is a pretty good clue that it does not support dual band 11n, becasue most notebooks that do will "brag" about dual-band connectivity in their listed features.
--
Deeds, not words

Slappy

@cgocable.net
reply to Slappy
So I talked to my brother in law and he tried connecting with my nephews laptop (Asus) and it couldn't see it either but he could see it with my nieces mac book. So I think we need to look at the asus laptops.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Slappy
What I've found is when wifi is advertised as 802.11b/g/n, it's 2.4GHz only as b/g only work on 2.4GHz.

When they advertise it as 802.11a/b/g/n, it's dual band because 802.11a is 5GHz only.

N can work at 2.4 or 5GHz, so just having it on the spec sheet doesn't tell you which bands are supported.

Hence if it only lists the 2.4GHz standards (b/g) then its 2.4GHz only. If it lists 802.11a as well (a/b/g) then it supports 2.4 and 5.

99% of the time, if it says b/g/n, its 2.4GHz. There may be a rare exception, but unlikely because they'd like to add a/b/g/n to make the spec sheet look better. Likewise, when buying anything, if it says b/g/n, assume it's 2.4GHz only. If it says a/b/g/n, it'll support 5GHz as well. (This includes smartphones, tablets, cameras, game consoles, anything that uspports wifi).