spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

[Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

So in order to get one of the proposed new packages, I have to pay $5 to change speeds from 28/1 to 25/2 once APOI launches. Why the hell am I getting charged this, when the competition is offering speed changes for free?

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
That's why we like choice and competition. You can choose not to change speeds or choose the other guy's offering.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
reply to geokilla
Welcome to the new world of TSI hidden fees where they nickle and dime us to death.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by neuromancer1:

Welcome to the new world of TSI hidden fees where they nickle and dime us to death.

You need to mature up a little and grow up, there's no hidden fees. If there were, they'd never tell you about them and they'd just show up on your bill. Please learn the definition before throwing out a wild accusation.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to geokilla
*sigh*

I'll be nice and explain why...Because Rogers charges them for account changes (IIRC) so go talk to ROGERS.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TypeS
You're calling me immature yet, you're insult me because I disagree with you. " Pot meet, kettle." $5 for an upgrade that we didn't ask for is a hidden fee. You must have your own definitions for everything. The it's Rogers fault blame game is old news, we pay TSI for service, not Rogers, it's not are problem.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by neuromancer1:

You're calling me immature yet, you're insult me because I disagree with you. " Pot meet, kettle." $5 for an upgrade that we didn't ask for is a hidden fee. You must have your own definitions for everything. The it's Rogers fault blame game is old news, we pay TSI for service, not Rogers, it's not are problem.

Then why are you upgrading if you didn't ask for it and don't want it? Not making any sense. Complaining just for the sake of complaining?

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
reply to neuromancer1
Do you have to upgrade? I didn't think so, stay where you are and pay nothing extra. Hidden fees by definition are hidden without anything changing.

Etobicoke, ON
said by vikingisson:

Do you have to upgrade? I didn't think so, stay where you are and pay nothing extra. Hidden fees by definition are hidden without anything changing.

Exactly, and there is nothing hidden about the fees either.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to vikingisson
said by vikingisson:

You don't have to upgrade, if you're content with your present package and speeds and pricing. Your service will remain the same.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

Nobody will be forced to upgrade, TSI simply won't allow any new users to sign up for the TPIA rates once the ATPIA migration is completed.

ps: "are" and "our" are different words.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

said by vikingisson:

You don't have to upgrade, if you're content with your present package and speeds and pricing. Your service will remain the same.

We don't have to say the same thing too many times. Brad and I posted the same idea at the same time so it doesn't need to be said three times in a row. I know you don't have to upgrade, I said exactly that. Perhaps you mean to quote someone else.

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to geokilla
I think this fee is unfortunate, and it's unreal that Rogers is getting away with charging this to TSI for each user that changes to the new packages. There should be an exemption for this.

However, I'm not sour with TSI because I understand how they do business. They choose to make prices as transparent as possible. They do whatever they can to bring us the lowest possible prices for the most possible "internet". Because they go this route they don't swallow any fees. This is always been the way they price things and it is not new. If you don't like it then I suggest you consider alternatives.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla
Putting aside obvious posters with an axe to grind. . .

geokilla's observation is still value, other TPIA ISPs are not charging the $5 charge. Although I think we need a bit of clarification, is the $5 charge just for switching from POI to APOI packages or in general for all speed changes on cable packages? If the former, it's not comparing apples to apples with another ISP, Start launched on APOI.

If the latter, then that is a consideration when evaluating IISPs. TSI is choosing not to eat that cost. That being said, most of TSI's packages are more generous on price & data caps than Starts. TSI also offers unlimited where START will not take that risk and is not capping overage charges either. START wins on some aspects of their service and TSI on others. The consumer now has to choose which are more important. This is what competition is supposed to create, different offerings, different choices. TSI does not need to race to the bottom.

Personally, I will take the $5 charge and get 35/3 or 45/4 unlimited, although my usage is usually under 300GB, so I could just get 35/3 300GB for the same price as START but 100GB more usage. Price with TSI has never concerned me, they could charge the same rates as Rogers, just as long as I never get dinged on overage usages. But that's my take on it.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to geokilla
I have to agree with OP on this one. TSI should give old customers an one-time waiver on the $5 charge for those to adopt their ATPIA within the first month.

Those who *will* be grandfathered should given a chance to switch without a fee. A sign-up form of sort..

$5 isn't much but TSI got burned using their TPIA structure vs ATPIA and should eat some costs for migrating.

Not going to lose any sleep or saliva over this debate.

The $5 speed change charge has been there a while. It's to stop people from switching back and forth between tiers recklessly. i.e. 28/1 to 18/1 one month and back.. This situation is different.

Etobicoke, ON
said by xdrag:

I have to agree with OP on this one. TSI should give old customers an one-time waiver on the $5 charge for those to adopt their ATPIA within the first month.

Those who *will* be grandfathered should given a chance to switch without a fee. A sign-up form of sort..

$5 isn't much but TSI got burned using their TPIA structure vs ATPIA and should eat some costs for migrating.

If customers were being forced to switch tiers and pay the fee then I could understand the bitching but they're not. People want to switch and are just bitching about the fee. That's all.

They didn't get burned at all. TPIA allowed them to offer lower rates and better packages. The customers bitching now would have been bitching even if TSI was using ATPIA.

dlinker

join:2012-03-02
Mississauga, ON
reply to TypeS
+1

don_quixote

join:2008-04-17
Toronto, ON
reply to geokilla
Since Tek tends to read emails on this forum, I wonder if they ever have the compulsion to throw their monitors out the window? I know I would.

hmph

join:2012-10-23
reply to neuromancer1
neuromancer1,
He is calling you immature since you are. You do not understand what is going on and keep complaining about it like you know. Teksavvy is charged $5 by Rogers for you to change your package. You keep finding every little thing to complain about that is out of Teksavvy's hands. First you complain about you picking the wrong modem, now you are complaining about paying fees for making an account change on a TPIA. If you don't want to pay the fee then don't change your package. If you can't accept the costs being passed on to you, and any of the other facts then there is nothing anyone can do to help you.
Expand your moderator at work

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to TypeS

Re: [Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

said by TypeS:

....most of TSI's packages are more generous on price & data caps than Start's.

TSI also offers unlimited where START will not take that risk and is not capping overage charges either.

START wins on some aspects of their service and TSI on others.

The consumer now has to choose which are more important.

This is what competition is supposed to create, different offerings, different choices....

That about says it, and this $5 charge is not worth the whining it has received, no matter in WHICH circumstances it is to be charged.

However, for those who simply MUST make that particular noise, might I suggest a fine aged Eastern Townships Cheddar as an optimum pairing.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to geokilla
If people could keep the insults down that would be good. Otherwise mods have to start deleting stuff, which we'd rather not do.

Thanks.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to xdrag
said by xdrag:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your wording but, TSI never had the choice of POI or APOI. It was only POI when the jumped in. As I understand it CNOC has bee working towards APOI for sometime now. That's kind of a bitter pill to ask them to swallow, they jumped in early to offer Ontario consumers a choice on Cable but should blame themselves because they need to migrate to APOI that will better serve cutomers?

They could eat the $5 costs, but they could also do a lot of other things differently too that would make customers less pleased.

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON
reply to geokilla
you know, it could be a $25 fee.. and not 5
Expand your moderator at work

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to geokilla

Re: [Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

IMHO, there should be one time free speed change only because of the New Package Launch.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla
Are we sure there is a charge for speed changes? Why I log into my world it seems to show there is not.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Nowhere on Teksavvy's site does it say that you will get charged for changing speeds. Yet they say they will charge you $5 to change speeds. And they have been charging this fee for the longest time, before they released a new logo and new site.

And please, enough with the "Rogers is screwing us over." I've said it a long time ago with the congested POI and will say it again. I am paying Teksavvy, or Start, or Rogers, or Bell for a service. The blame game should only go so far.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by geokilla:

Nowhere on Teksavvy's site does it say that you will get charged for changing speeds. Yet they say they will charge you $5 to change speeds.

And please, enough with the "Rogers is screwing us over." I've said it a long time ago with the congested POI and will say it again. I am paying Teksavvy, or Start, or Rogers, or Bell for a service. The blame game should only go so far.

I dunno man. kind of a bummer for me to read this thread. with everything else going on.. just seems like.. really? they couldn't find anything else to harp on.. so we're talking about a $5 one time charge that's a direct pass-through approved by the crtc?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to geokilla
well its a Incredibly minimal Fee, Which is completly Optional to every single one of you folks on Cable, Noone is forcing a package change on you, some of you will not even qualify for it as you Decided to Chinze out and buy a d2 Modem and are now regretting your Saving $20 dollars. then to now spend 70 or more Replacing it and then 5 for the new speed package.

if teksavvy offered free speed changes to the several thousands of Cable cx they would be eating a very large bill. lets see assuming they have at least 20 thousand cable users Likely more thats 100 Grand right there Myself i would rather they pass it on to the users and focus on keeping monthly fees lower.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.