how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to geokilla

Re: [Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

I'm wondering why you haven't left to Start?
Their 25/2 package is the same price as TSI's and you can move there today, at NO COST.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

And how much would it cost Teksavvy to eat that $5? Not a lot, unless as I said, you got people switching packages every month just to troll Teksavvy. Having said that, I will pay that $5 if I have to.

I thought competition was supposed to bring about lower prices and better packages. And please read my restocking fee analogy.

As Marc has already said, the $5 is direct cost from Rogers, so it costs the whole $5 you pay. I'm not sure where you came up with this "doesn't cost them a whole lot" bit.

And again why does TSI have to race to the bottom to match everyone? You said it yourself, this is about competition, not everyone being the same as everyone else. As well, competition does not guarantee lower prices, there's always the value you get what you're paying for. If the dollar amount is all you care about, I'm sure Acanac with their rate limiting should look appealing then.

Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why don't eat the install fee for anyone signing up?). But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges. So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it, give the whole picture.

Also I don't see why you're bringing up re-stocking charges, I worked a successful computer store and dealt with Canada Computers on a daily basis, neither would budge on re-stocking fee hardly ever if nothing was wrong with the return, if it happened it happened rarely and I have first hand knowledge of that. It costs money to sell an open box item, because the next customer will demand a discount. The store shouldn't have to pay for a customers mistakes in buying a item that didn't work out for them. There's Best Buy for that with their huge profit margins on everything but big ticket items like TVs, consoles & computers.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Eug

Re: More than fair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

said by Eug:

I think even $10 or $15 would be fair, to be honest. If the mandated charge is $5 for Rogers, then TSI is essentially doing this for free at $5.

It's good that others are doing this for free though. Competition is good, to keep TSI's fee down at $5, which to me is pretty much inconsequential. Seriously, how many times a year would you plan on changing the speed? Even if twice a year, that still works out to less than $1 per month.

If you really want to change your speed 10X per year, there are other options, but I would guess some of those options would get pretty irritated with you as a customer after a while.

+1.

Without TekSavvy Canadian Internet access would be in a hell of state.

As my wife says, paying TekSavvy for Internet access is as much about getting access to the Internet as it is about paying someone to make sure we -can- get access to the Internet.

Rogers, I'm quite sure, would be happy to sell us a "lite" version of the Internet, sans streaming video, P2P and VoIP. Companies like TekSavvy have helped keep that commercially unviable.

If TekSavvy wants to earn a profit on the change fee I'm happy to pay it should I choose to change tiers. Passing the $5 cost on means they're spending time and effort for no reward... and -that- would actually be "unfair".

Consider the alternatives.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

And how much would it cost Teksavvy to eat that $5? Not a lot, unless as I said, you got people switching packages every month just to troll Teksavvy. Having said that, I will pay that $5 if I have to.

I thought competition was supposed to bring about lower prices and better packages. And please read my restocking fee analogy.

It would cost a lot. TekSavvy has over 100,000 cable subscribers, and pretty much everyone will want a free upgrade (going from 28/1 to 25/2 saves a decent amount of money). That's over half a million dollars in service changes fees to Rogers. So, if you're Marc, is that the best use of $500,000? Might it be better spent on network upgrades? Lower monthly prices? Rolling out new services? ATPIA migration costs? Profit? It's only fair Marc makes some money with all the hours he works.

Marc has clearly looked at it, and the handful of customers they'll lose over a $5 change fee aren't worth $500,000+.

Competition is also about ISPs offering differentiated service. This entire battle was fought so that TekSavvy and other independents had the freedom to set their own pricing and packages. Start offers lower change fees, but they don't offer unlimited. There's also differences in customer service and so on. If TekSavvy doesn't meet your needs then switch, competition isn't about every provider offering the exact same thing. Another provider may better serve your needs.
--
Taylor Byrnes

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

How much would it cost them? $5 per person per switch. How much would it cost you to swallow it? Or how about they raise the monthly rate by $2 and give you the switch for free?

Would you be happier to pay less up front and get jammed long term? I have a 3 year cell phone contract for you to sign.

some1tek

@teksavvy.com
reply to geokilla

I don't think $5 is big deal at all. I will gladly pay this one time fee if I was on 28/1 to save some cash every month or even 18/0.5 if I want higher speeds. I think it's very reasonable price, especially as it's direct cost to Teksavvy from what I read and it's won't be fair for them to swallow the cost instead of using it to pay back the fee to Rogers.

Plus, the fee is optional, no one forces anyone to pay it if you don't want to save on monthly bills or for faster speeds.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why don't eat the install fee for anyone signing up?). But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges. So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it, give the whole picture.

Well for one, they probably don't need Rogers to send a technician over. Teksavvy never sent one over when I switched from Rogers even though there was someone coming. In the end, I don't remember what happened but I got Teksavvy Internet up and running. Plus, promotion to bring in more customers.

Ok let's shift the discussion a bit then. Can't the CRTC decision be appealed to get rid of this $5 fee, and other bogus charges that Robellus are charging the IISPs? I mean, how can MTS cost like $300/100mbps while Cogeco charge... $3000? Or whatever the amounts were. Clearly, something wrong happened. Same for $5 fee about switching packages. Retail customers don't have to pay that, but I'm sure Rogers would love to charge it to their own customers if they can. It's more money in their pockets, and they have to pay for the CSRs that answer the calls.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to geokilla

How is it a bogus change? Say the person on the other end of the phone gets paid $25 an hour, plus benefits which make it an effective (say) $35 an hour, plus overhead (employee needs a computer to use, etc). So let's say the total cost for the company to employ this person is $50 an hour.

Now, they're asked to change a sync rate. $5 gives him 6 minutes to get the request, find the right line in the system, validate the line can support the speed (still applies even to cable, need the right modem, the right area, right line stats, etc), bump it up and potentially validate that the modem has successfully reconnected at the higher speed.

$5 seems perfectly reasonable to me. Expecting them to do work for free is unreasonable. Rogers is a business.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

$5 seems perfectly reasonable to me. Expecting them to do work for free is unreasonable. Rogers is a business.

This.

The fact that TekSavvy is passing on the $5 charge without adding anything for their time and effort in the process is what's 'unfair' about this.

It's $5. Starbucks charges that a LATTÉ. Not a lot to pay to involve a TekSavvy rep, a Rogers rep, and the technical skill from both to the do the job properly.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to geokilla

All this over a $5 charge passed on from Rogers, really?

Would you rather pay an extra $1/month every month so that they can suck stuff like this up? I wouldn't.

You're in the Start thread talking about this same thing, but their plans are not as good. Lower caps and the same or higher prices. I'll take a $5 one-time fee over $5 more every month on 45/4, or 100GB less cap on the 35/3 plan for the same monthly price, or half the cap on the 25/2 plan for the same price.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to bbhog

said by bbhog:

I'm wondering why you haven't left to Start?
Their 25/2 package is the same price as TSI's and you can move there today, at NO COST.

Ay, can you save-a more money than free ? (old Speed Muffler TV commercial)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

....Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why [not] eat the install fee for anyone signing up?).

But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges.

So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it - give the whole picture....

It's MY understanding that START is not eating their normal $50 setup fee for cable, rather that the cableco does not levy it to START on a transfer of another active cable Internet service at the same jack, as long as a truck roll is not needed.

I do not have a tariff reference at my fingertips ATM, but there MUST be one.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

[to geokilla]....You're in the Start thread talking about this same thing....

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to NBomb

said by NBomb:

....Would you be happier to pay less up front and get jammed long term?

I have a 3 year cell phone contract for you to sign.

FTTHTechie

@axxent.ca
reply to geokilla

"That's why we like choice and competition. You can choose not to change speeds or choose the other guy's offering."

Competition in Canada doesn't exist. Even Third Party Internet Service providers are forced to use the Oligopolies lines and services and sell-last mile. This isn't Sweden or South Korea where they actually care about the consumer and don't have ridiculous fees and caps. It's a first world country with third world IT and Infrastructure and Third world corruption/influence of lobbyists. It's quite a shame because broadband Internet access is a necessity in this modern world and we are being nickle and dimed to death. That's not including that everything else we pay for as well is overpriced. It's as if we don't have enough to worry about.

Some may argue that this is a small cost but remember it all adds up. Especially in this country it adds up to all the other exorbitant costs for Gas , Food , Internet , etc... and nothing is done about it.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to geokilla

Seriously...??? 4 freakin' pages(and counting) over a 5 dollar charge.... marone...

callous

join:2012-06-25
Toronto, ON
reply to geokilla

While I was hoping teksavvy would upgrade everyone for free, hearing that CRTC allowed rogers to charge teksavvy for the service, I would say it wouldnt be fair for teksavvy to eat the cost.

Is teksavvy denying you your internet service if you dont pay? No. You keep your old speed profile. Nothing has changed. You do however get 2am-8am unlimited use, but if you're on unlimited get charged more (but that's Roger's fault).

Upgrade for faster speed or pay nothing and keep your current speed. Why is it unfair? I bet the admin cost to upgrade each client IS costing teksavvy money. None of the $5 goes to teksavvy yet they have to spend time which costs money to move everyone over.

Expand your moderator at work

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to FTTHTechie

Very good post FTTHTechie +1 thumbs up!

bparanoid5

join:2009-07-17
reply to geokilla

Spend $5.00 & Save $79.00 in the first year. It's that simple.
Shoot if the cost was $50.00 to switch I would pay it without skipping a beat.(Marc, pretend you didn't read that)
Who is making the $5.00 and why should be irrelevant to you.

This short term type of thinking is why there are millions of people out there still renting water heaters.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

said by bparanoid5:

Spend $5.00 & Save $79.00 in the first year. It's that simple.
Shoot if the cost was $50.00 to switch I would pay it without skipping a beat.(Marc, pretend you didn't read that)
Who is making the $5.00 and why should be irrelevant to you.

This short term type of thinking is why there are millions of people out there still renting water heaters.

If you think about it, you can upgrade to a D3 + pay $5 to switch and almost break even within a year

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Heh i was kinda happy last week that i was renting my water heater p:) yes its A waste but The one i had went belly Up The Vent died complety repairs would have run me 800ish though i have had it 4 years so i could have bought a new one for what i rent for.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.