how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dreamwiser3

join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON

Start.ca in the heart of Hamiltoon

Was wondering why the new changes for DSL FTTN that Start offers down't apply for the wonder full city of Hamilton? The Start site only lists two choices. What happened to the higher tiers? Area L8k1k3 and L8m1y7?

Rocca?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
6/800 and15/10 is all bell says you qualify for.Not starts fault

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Yeah, might be an older ADSL2+ SLAM serving the area (or building?) that has yet to be upgraded to VDSL2.

I'm surprised it says 6/800 rather than 5/1, though. Usually anything FTTN (even pre-VDSL2) comes up as 5/1 with areas served only by an old ADSL SLAM showing 6/800 alone.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
reply to Dreamwiser3
Because like Rocca said...

»Updated package preview

The new VDSL FTTN packages won't be available for another week or two after March 11th. (4th point down)

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to andyb
Click for full size
said by andyb:

6/800 and15/10 is all bell says you qualify for.Not starts fault

Actually... you sure about that? He's even good for Fibe TV. Coaxguy is right, got to wait it out from Start.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
It actually said 5/1 I got it in my head 6/800.As for what you see I did run the postal codes again and it then said it qualified for 175/175.Then I checked mine and it said the same thing.Bells tool is fubared again

Dreamwiser3

join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON
Actually member Gone hit the nail on the head. Waiting for package preview update.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Dreamwiser3
50/10 is available in both those postal codes, we should have the packages up on our web site in about a week.

gazer

join:2005-08-23
Richmond Hill, ON
Sorry for the thread hijack but it is kind of related

As listed now I can get 15/1 'FTTN' for $40 and don't have to pay dry loop monthly fee? If so that's a good deal for me! (says available for my location too)

nofalal

join:2013-03-14
reply to Dreamwiser3
February 1st I called start.ca to apply for dsl, they said you must cancel your first isp. I called my isp and told him to cancel on feb 28, then called back start.ca to tell them if they can activate the service on the 25th, they said sure, on the 25th they gave me a username and a password and I was billed 49 dollars. On March 3rd, my dsl service stopped , I called start, they said well your service is not activated yet we just submit your request to bell and it will take 5-7 business days. I was shocked, I said you billed me and provided me with a password and we have emails saying that I will have my service activated on the 25th, they said sorry, someone gave you the wrong information, I questioned them "Wrong information???" and said " Check the emails you send me with the pass word and the user id" they said our fault and we didn't know, I said so how the heck you billed me if my service was not activated , they said because you were with a (((RESELLER))) of us called Tamko and we just swapped the servers, I said but I already paid for Tamko a month in advance. SO I cancelled and requested full refund. Stay away from them and also stay away from primus.ca, if you want to hear the story which is still being investigated I will be happy to tell you.

nofalal

join:2013-03-14
reply to Dreamwiser3
Here is the story with Primus Canada:
After I cancelled start.ca due to the waiting time as they have to submit another order and I have to wait another 5-7 days plus they were dishonest with me as the service should have been activated, I called primus.ca, and this is a really fantastic story. I used to be with them for 5 years (dsl) then two years ago switched to tamko, the after the problem with start.ca I called them to switch back to their dsl service, as usual they said 5-7 days, and that was March 5th, they said call back on Friday to get logging information. I also told them I don't want modem as I used my modem with them before. March 8 got the modem ???? I refused it , took it to Canada post, they stamped it (REFUSED) and gave me copy as prove. I informed primus.ca. On Friday I looked at the modem , no dsl signal, I called at 6:13pm, they opened a ticket, they said wait 24-48 hours. On Monday they said you might have internal wiring problem, I said no way, just last week 9with tamko) I had internet running, they said we have to verify, and if we found a problem you will be charged ( I have emails to prove every think), I said I will no pay for just verification and I don't want my wring be touched, they finally agreed, they said (we have primus field tech and Bell tech and you will not be charged for primus tech but if he found a problem then you will pay for the bell tech). Next day the tech guy from primus came, checked and said I don't see problem, they check the signal and guess what, they can provide signal to me because when they submit the request to bell, something went wrong and they put my circuit on far server. SO I said what to do, they said we have to submit new request and switch your server closer, I told them "But at the beginning you said I am withing 3.5 KM" they said we were not sure. So I have been without internet for 3 weeks and I can tell you now, don't trust any of the companies. And by the way when I asked Primus what is my bill will be ? they said don't worry we will adjust everything, I asked them did you charge me for the internet, they said yes because it was activated on the 5th when you sign up but rest assure we will adjusted when your internet is actually activated. LOOOOOOOOOL, strange and fantastic isn't it ????

But today Tamko offered me Cable 6mbps at 36/month for 144 setup fee that includes installation of new cable, purchasing of Thompson 476 dio3 and activation and is unlimited. still not sure whether to go with them or stay with the dsl, tamko dsl is like 45 for 6mb.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Dreamwiser3
I live close by.

FYI, Bell just conditioned this entire area this past summer and fall for 25/10 and Fibe TV.

You would want to stay away from a 5/1 or 6/1 connection. There are a couple of remotes close by to you (and me, I live in close proximity). But there is an anomaly with the copper in this little area. While it is about 1km to the CO as the bird flies, it's 5km in copper. It runs all the way up Wentworth St to Burlington St, west to John St, then all the way down John to the CO. This, according to Bell dudes conditioning the area.

If you order FTTN speeds, you'll get on a remote and zoom zoom. If you order non-FTTN DSL, you'll get substandard service big time. It's what one of my neighbours has, and what prevented me from ordering DSL a few years ago, prior to the FTTN remote going in.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to nofalal
said by nofalal:

February 1st I called start.ca to apply for dsl...

I do apologize for this mix-up, your particular incident made it's way up to me a couple days ago. It was an odd combination of circumstances and unfortunately resulted in a poor experience for you. Rest assured that's not our normal course of operation and we'll take steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. Thanks and again my apologies.