Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

All ZyXel Equipment

Click for full size
OK, I am posting this here primarily because all the routing equipment is ZyXel. I have been having some strange problems lately. The address shown for the I-Drive is obviously not that of my router. But from your experiences do you believe this is a USG router issue? Or a GS1510 switch issue? Or could it be a problem with the I-Drive? I am going to trouble shoot this tomorrow but your thoughts are desired. Firmware in my router is 3.00 (AQQ4.0).

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

What is I-DRIVE? Is it on your network? What's it's IP?
What's your USG's IP?
Output from the machine you're doing tracert from: ipconfig /all and route print and arp -a?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
Burlington, WV

The IP of the I-DRIVE is 192.168.1.48. USG's IP is 192.168.1.1 and the IP of the PC I am using is 192.168.1.34.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Hank

Even if the GS1510 switch were misbehaving (forwarding packets intended for the router to the I-Drive instead), it could only be a contribution to the problem and not the sole cause.

Of primary concern is that windows thinks that the IP address of the I-Drive is 192.168.1.1 (which is the IP address of your router).

The response "Destination net unreachable." makes sense if a traceroute to an Internet destination is indeed sent to the I-Drive instead. The fact that the I-Drive sent a response at all however means that it assumed that the packet was intended for it (the response should not have been from the real router since it would have known to forward the traceroute packet).

I would start by checking the I-Drive for misconfiguration. Do not only check for the 192.168.1.1 IP address in the I-Drive config but also for the possibility that the I-Drive has the same mac-address as the router (those are supposed to be globally unique, but that isn't guaranteed).

Of course an even simpler test is to disconnect the I-Drive and see if the problem goes away (it should as soon as the arp cache in your pc is cleared).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

superataru

join:2004-12-07
Kearny, NJ

1 edit

Hi.
Maybe arp poisoning?
It's possible also to fix, searcing for misconfiguration and so on, to run as admin:
arp -d *
arp -s 192.168.1.1 MAC-LAN-USG (turns this entry to static).

And check it again.

Dunno why switch should be the cause.

superataru

join:2004-12-07
Kearny, NJ

said by superataru:

Hi.
Maybe arp poisoning?
It's possible also to fix, searcing for misconfiguration and so on, to run as admin:
arp -d *
arp -s 192.168.1.1 MAC-LAN-USG (turns this entry to static).

And check it again.

Dunno why switch should be the cause.

I missed a part:
I don't know i-drive. Does it allow to clone other mac-addresses, for security reasons, and so it happens what Leibold was talking about, as it toke USG's mac?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to Hank

Click for full size
I believe it is definitely the NAS causing the issue. First off I removed the NAS from the network late last night and ran without errors. I then returned the NAS to the network this morning and the problem began to occur again. The NAS MAC address is the one ending in A7.

I moved the NAS to a different bank of ports on the GS-1510 and the problem followed the NAS. When I loose connection to the NAS the MAC address reverts back to the correct one for the router on either port tested on the GS-1510.

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
reply to Hank

Although fixing the NAS [somehow] would seem to be the best solution, you might try MAC binding in the USG to assign the NAS MAC to the desired IP address and see if the NAS can still capture .1.1.

kirby

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Hank

Good: I-Drive and Router have distinct mac addresses like they should.

The next step is determining why the I-Drive uses the 192.168.1.1 IP address. If the address configuration for the I-Drive is dynamic (DHCP client) then check whether there is any DHCP server on your LAN (there should only be the one in your router, but when strange things with address assignments happen it is a good idea to see if there is more than one) that includes the router IP address 192.168.1.1 in the pool of addresses it issues.
If the address configuration of the I-Drive is static it should obviously be changed. I don't know the I-Drive product but in general it is possible to assign multiple IP addresses to a single network interface. Therefore the primary IP address of the I-Drive may indeed be 192.168.1.48 but one or more of the services on the I-Drive is using the 192.168.1.1 address instead. It will have to be something that communicates frequently with your windows pc (perhaps a SMB/CIFS fileshare) since it manages to dominate over your router with regards to the arp table entry for 192.168.1.1 in your pc.
--

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1
reply to Hank

To verify that the devices are actually using the same ip, use "arping". I think its available for all platforms, its at least available for Linux.
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Hank

I was able to reset the NAS and gain access after several attempts. The default IP is 192.168.1.1 the same as the USG. I set everything back to the settings I normally use IP, admin user information, user, etc. I could access as the admin after several attempts, but could not log in as a user. Reset everything again and the results were the same. Then I could not get back in as admin. So I will check the drive internal out, if not something simple it will be retired.

Thanks for the input and assistance from all.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

NOOOO!!!

Don't try configuring the NAS while both it and your router are attached to the same LAN. Just like the NAS interferes with your router the router will interfere with configuring the NAS.

Just connect a PC or laptop directly to the NAS (or at the very least disconnect the router for the duration of the reconfig).

Depending on whether or not configuration changes on the NAS take effect immediately or only after a restart you may loose connection to the NAS when you change the IP address.

If the NAS defaults to 192.168.1.1, have you considered moving the router to a different address ?
--

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

I used my laptop to reconfigure the NAS. IP addressing sets up ok in the NAS, admin sets up ok, in the NAS, it is currently the users I am having a problem setting up.

OK, after several attempts I was finally able to gain access as a user. I'll see if it last without causing any problems before I finally retire this drive.