Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[DIRECTV] DirecTV on UPS

Hi-
I have my DirecTV on a UPS. I used to have my Time Warner cable box on it before I switched and it worked perfectly until the power drained. However, with the DirecTV, it isn't working so well. It does work for a few minutes until I get a loss of satellite signal. I have the HR24-500, linked to the internet with my router via the satellite cable. (Modem and router also on UPS) There is a small box that has a cable in/out, just after/before the receiver and that plugs into the wall. That too is plugged into the UPS.
The whole thing will work if I supply power to the UPS with my generator though--- and before you ask. No, the UPS isn't over loaded. The power for everything (TV. DTV receiver, the little box) is well under the 1500 watts it delivers. (PS It is a "pure sine wave" UPS)

So, any ideas?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
VA watts

Most UPS units are labeled with VA ratings as opposed to watt ratings.

If your UPS is rated at 1500VA, the actual capability in watts is somewhat lower, probably around 850 watts.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to Dominokat
SLA batteries do not last forever especially always topped off and not cycled (by semi regular power outages)

Maybe just their time had come and nothing to do with service change?

Even with at end of 150 mile extension cord and fairly frequent outages hour or two outages have NEVER had a UPS last beyond 2 yrs... yes cycled but not ofteen enough for SLA chemistry.

Electric bike with same chemistry... but cycled at least partially every day... keeps them healthy as possible.... just as always just topped off UPS=BAD.
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

3 edits
reply to John97
said by John97:

VA watts

If your UPS is rated at 1500VA, the actual capability in watts is somewhat lower, probably around 850 watts.

True but theoretically should not be the case a Watt is actually mathematically V x A. But guess real world inefficient losses come into play. Again pure math WATTS are VxA.

But there is other odd BS going on of what a watt is especially in audio... peak vs continuous, etc and neither are real.
--

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
reply to Dominokat
What you are talking about is run time (HOLD) after power failure- If you need Extra run time you should get a 1500 ups with extra battery packs- more packs more time.

I use a 650 ups -for a DLP TV,Hr22, AVamp - it is more of a power conditioner when the power flickers- (off-on) during storm it keeps the equipment from feeling or taking the hit.

When the power goes out While in use it will hold for 3-4 minutes allowing me to turn everything off.

When it's off for a long time-Then I wheel out the generator and connect it to the ups and protects the equipment from the generator spikes.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

There is a small box that has a cable in/out, just after/before the receiver and that plugs into the wall. That too is plugged into the UPS.

Unplug that little box from the UPS and plug it into the wall like normal. Then wait a while to see if you lose satellite signal.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dominokat
Where is the power inserter for the LNB? or is that the "small box" you are referring to?

Is the UPS dying when this happens or just the Sat signal message?

If the UPS is still powered up keeping the TV and other stuff alive, then there is another active device in the DirecTV circuit that you need to find and put on a UPS.

When you say " it works on the generator" are you powering just the UPS with the generator?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Ken
said by Ken:

said by Dominokat:

There is a small box that has a cable in/out, just after/before the receiver and that plugs into the wall. That too is plugged into the UPS.

Unplug that little box from the UPS and plug it into the wall like normal. Then wait a while to see if you lose satellite signal.

If it isn't powered, either by wall plug or the UPS, I loose the satellite signal. That is why I have it plugged in the UPS so it keeps power during a power outage.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

Where is the power inserter for the LNB? or is that the "small box" you are referring to?

--- Yes

Is the UPS dying when this happens or just the Sat signal message?

--- No

If the UPS is still powered up keeping the TV and other stuff alive, then there is another active device in the DirecTV circuit that you need to find and put on a UPS.

-- UPS powers only TV, DTV, and the little box.

When you say " it works on the generator" are you powering just the UPS with the generator?

--- Usually the power goes out for no longer then 15 minutes. The UPS usually delivers just under 15 minutes of power. The caveat, is that for whatever reason it looses the sat signal after about 3 minutes.
I don't use the generator often but sometimes if the power is out longer, I will crank up, which will deliver power back to the outlet the UPS is on, and only then will the satellite signal come back. Or if normal power is restored.

--- I don't understand why I loose satellite signal only when on UPS.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to John97
said by John97:

VA watts

The power doesn't last as long as it used to. It used to last near 20-25 minutes not I get about 15.

If it where "over loaded" it would beep and let me know it.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
What you describe sounds like what my DirecTV does when I loose power.

I have Receiver and TV on a UPS but the power inserter is in basement and not on a UPS. When power goes out, TV and Receiver keep showing a picture for a few minutes then see loss of signal message. Not sure why it works this way but I guess either the receiver is buffering the signal ( like XM radio does ) or there are some pretty large caps in the DirecTV inserter that keep DC going to the feed horn for a minute or two. I have noted that when I unplug the inserter, the green light stays on for quite a while.

When this signal loss occurs, has the "little green light" gone out on the inserter?

Any chance the inserter is plugged into a "surge only" port on the UPS? Try putting the inserter plug into a different port, just for shits & grins.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat
I don't think so. But it is possible. I'll have to check tomorrow. I'm posting from bed.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to Dominokat
"That little box" is a power inserter that sends 18v up to the LNB so that the LNB can do its magic of receiving the signal, amplifying it and assigning channels to your receiver's tuners to use to communicate with the LNB.

If you expect to keep reception up during a power outage, you're going to want it plugged into the UPS.

Have you looked to see if the power inserter is staying on when your UPS switches to battery?

Your media gateway doesn't need to remain powered unless you're watching content from the internet.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits
reply to Dominokat
Unless you only have very short outages leave the TV off the UPS.

I had just a DISH receiver on a 500VA UPS alone and it would run for 2-3 hours...more if just in standby. Mostly just so events would get recorded during outages. Rare a outage lasts that long but half hour is not unusually, especially in storm season.

Even rare times I was watching live...I done it enough times I know the routine to record rest of event is hit record, and Select. See the red like go on verifies its doing it.

With Dish recivers I've had the power injection for the LNB come from the receiver not a separate...same with early DTV ones I had... not sure about them now.
--