Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

no surprise

I'm not at all surprised.
This isn't really drastic, though they could stand to increase the caps on this level of service (if they're even enforcing them??)

I had 6Mbps service at a promo rate for about 6 months ($25/mo.), and being literally right next to a distribution facility (bigger than a VRAD, more like a little closet), service was perfect. They almost got me to be forced into uVerse, but I moved before they forced this.

In any case, it beats the pants off of any form of cellular connection. Not so much for a stable and consistent cable connection, but getting that "perfect" cable connection is probably less common than with DSL.

My parents are still totally screwed - neither cable, nor AT&T want to wire their stretch of road, which is serviced by both within less than half a mile. Literally a dead zone of "we don't care" even with a boatload of fiber less than 100 yards away. The caps on cellular data plans are still completely geared towards "oops, you owe us a lot more than the 5GB, haha" at their current caps.

Let's also not forget the entrenched business accounts that AT&T has. Even if the service is through a reseller, chances are good that tons of fiber is still being pumped through AT&T facilities.

The simple fact is that every ISP, no matter how big, simply must connect with AT&T. Everyone knows this. There is nothing that the home user can do either. Whether it's Verizon, AT&T, or some local outfit (that is likely MORE expensive).
Cable may be faster in lots of places, but there are still vast chunks where the service might be less stable than 6Mbps DSL. In any case, the price increase kind of sucks, but is not unexpected.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

i was setting up an office in an industrial zone in central NJ that was a few hundred yards from Comcast. they wanted $16,000 to light up our street, so i approached the neighbors and shared half the cost with them - contact your parent's local provisioning department, while they survey which effected neighbors may like to pony up for better service. it often pays for itself by increasing the property value as people today actively look for properties served by good ISP's.

BTW - this forced migration from copper pair ADSL to other forms of broadband is really about Union labor busting as your local CLEC is the only low voltage wired service left that still requires a Unionized labor force.