share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Defiance: Apr 2, Buy the game F2P

The game launches April 2nd, and there will be no monthly fee.
My understanding is there are four levels to purchase, a 60 dollar level, 100 dollar level, and a 150 dollar level.

»blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/···hly-fee/

quote:
Let’s get to the nitty gritty of today’s announcement. As of today, you can preorder four different editions of Defiance for the PlayStation 3. And to confirm, Defiance does not have a monthly subscription. Grab the game, jump into the world, and enjoy.

I guess they figure by offering different levels to purchase, they'll make money that way.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4

Has anyone been playing this? Im curious if its just a $ tie in with the TV show or an actualy legitimate game.

I know this was made by the same people that made Rift, so I am hoping its a decent game, as I actually liked Rift.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

As of right now, I know Snakeoil and I play. I play on the xbox, not sure his system of choice.

I've never played Rift, but have read some of the similarities. Arkfalls are pretty much just like Rift events.

The game is definitely legitimate, great and hella fun. It's been likened to a Borderlands MMO with Firefly tie-ins, if that makes sense.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

said by Grimm:

As of right now, I know Snakeoil and I play. I play on the xbox, not sure his system of choice.

I've never played Rift, but have read some of the similarities. Arkfalls are pretty much just like Rift events.

The game is definitely legitimate, great and hella fun. It's been likened to a Borderlands MMO with Firefly tie-ins, if that makes sense.

I wish they had a free trial, I wouldnt mind checking it out, but I am hesitant to drop $40-$60.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit

I play on the PC. The game is fun, but has it's moments. Meaning unless you are good at shooters, then you'll find yourself getting frustrated often. I tend to be ok at shooters, not great. So I get frustrated a lot.

They had a big patch on Tuesday, and it seems a few issues were cleared up. The chat system still sucks, so it's like you are playing a solo player game with a lot of other people you can't interact with.

They had 3 TV missions in the game, that are gone now. They had to be completed before the show aired. They now have a couple other things in game, that goes along with the show.
One is lighting 10 candles [balloons] in remembrance of those that had fallen in combat, for armistice day.

greenman gaming has Defiance discounted by 30%
»www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p···efiance/

I hang out at the Defiance forums, and the opinons seem to be evenly split: 50% for the game, the rest wishing they never purchased it.

If you've ever joined a MMO at it's birth [Think WOW expansions], then you know the problems that can occur. And basically that is where Defiance is at now, still in the birthing stage. But still it's pretty damn good fun.

*edit* Besides missions and arkfalls, there are a lot of random pop up missions that you stumble upon as you drive around.
You can also add mods to your weapons. Sights, Mags, barrels, stocks. They can increase the damage, speed up reload, various sorts of effects.
And the variety of weapons is vast. Everything from a pistol that shoots viruses at enemies, to a launcher that you can detonate the warhead in the air, and get several smaller bombs to rain down on a target area. Then there is the friendly BMG. It can drain enemies shields and health, Or you can use it on yourself or allies to heal them, restore shields.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Snakeoil

This game has gotten very bad reviews.

If you want a fair, in-depth review, check this one out:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZz_KKGpgfk

If you want to see more gameplay and opinions, here is another:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGU4_k3q1Y

TLDR: The game is extremely boring and repetitive. You do the same basic quests over and over. It looks like a crappy knockoff of Borderlands with a lot less content.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Snakeoil

I can't do Socom style camera. Over the shoulder 3rd person whatever it is, no likey. I wish there was a solid FPSMMO that was PVE based. I liked Planetside 2 but I can't do pvp all the time.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Kaltes

I've played Borderlands, I don't get the comparison. I've also played Rage.

Tell me what MMO ever got rave reviews in the early stages of it's launch?
Tell me what MMO isn't boring and repetitive? Go here kill 500 of these things, go there and capture one of so and so.

Shit even COD, and other shooters with online play get boring and repetitive. They all basically do the same thing. Aim at target, shoot, or toss a 'nade.

Plus another problem is, you have a lot of World of warcraft babies, running around trying to find the best gear for a boss, or wondering what skill they should select.
They have problems understanding that Defiance is a 3rd person shooter and not a game like WOW where you grind skill. And rush to the end game.

I've been playing since beta, and I've just now gotten to the point where I'm nearly entering San Fransico. I still have a few side missions to knock out before I do.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Phantasee

Have you tried Warface?
It's not a true MMO, but it is a shooter. I played for a while during beta. It's PvE or PvP, your choice. I enjoyed what little of it I had played.
--

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Snakeoil

Its F2P after the initial purchase, correct? Or do they have some other model of game play?
--

Dalionath

join:2013-03-06
Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB

corect after you buy it, its free but theres a cash store but only cosmetic

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Snakeoil

I might check it out..

Im at work so I cant watch the videos, but what is the game play like? Jump in, start shooting shit and level up?

Are there classes, raids, dungeons? Healer tank DPS?
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Savious

It's F2P after purchase.
They do sell bits for cash. Bits are used to buy things from the in game store. So far the only useful thing has been inventory slots.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Savious

said by Savious:

I might check it out..

Im at work so I cant watch the videos, but what is the game play like? Jump in, start shooting shit and level up?

This is where it gets confusing.
At the start of the game you select Race. So far there are just two, and no racial advantages.

Then you select "class".
Veteran, Survivalist, Mechanic, Nomad.
There is a description about each one, that you can read before selecting it.

Then you hit the starting area. Where you meet Cass [an alien] and Eddy [a AI]. Eddy walks you through a quick tutorial, and then you at the start of the missions.
During the tutorial, you get to select a power. Decoy, Cloak, blur, Overcharge. Decoy puts up a decoy of you, it draws the aggro. Cloak allows you to sneak behind enemies and get a close up head shot, or escape. Blur speeds you up. You reload faster, hit harder. I use Overcharge. Overcharge boosts weapons damage, melee damage. They all have a timer and expire after a while and have to recharge.
And you find out that it doesn't matter what you picked at the start of the game, because what you are doesn't apply. The EGO you selected can be helpful, however.

"Raids" and "Dungeons". I've only done Arkfalls and side missions. Some of the side missions are dungeon like. You end up in tunnels and fighting hard to kill Mobs. But, it seems the majority of the main missions are solo events. So you are your own tank/dps/healer.
You are given two equipment slots:
There is a device called the BMG that can heal you/restore shields, or drain shields and life of your target.
That takes up a slot.
Second slot could be pistol, shot gun, rocket launcher, sniper, LMG, SMG.... what ever. Heck, many don't use a BMG, instead they carry a second weapon.
Thing to remember though, some weapons draw from the same ammo pool. So you will burn through ammo if you carry two weapons that use the same ammo.

I have seen shadow wars pop up on my map. Shadow wars are PvP events.
They have co-op missions. It's sorta like dungeon finder in WOW. You select a co-op mission, and you get to do it, when enough people have picked that mission.
I think there are PvP type events like that as well, I haven't looked.
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

said by Snakeoil:

said by Savious:

I might check it out..

This is where it gets confusing.
At the start of the game you select Race. So far there are just two, and no racial advantages.

Then you select "class".
Veteran, Survivalist, Mechanic, Nomad.
There is a description about each one, that you can read before selecting it.

Then you hit the starting area. Where you meet Cass [an alien] and Eddy [a AI]. Eddy walks you through a quick tutorial, and then you at the start of the missions.
During the tutorial, you get to select a power. Decoy, Cloak, blur, Overcharge. Decoy puts up a decoy of you, it draws the aggro. Cloak allows you to sneak behind enemies and get a close up head shot, or escape. Blur speeds you up. You reload faster, hit harder. I use Overcharge. Overcharge boosts weapons damage, melee damage. They all have a timer and expire after a while and have to recharge.
And you find out that it doesn't matter what you picked at the start of the game, because what you are doesn't apply. The EGO you selected can be helpful, however.

"Raids" and "Dungeons". I've only done Arkfalls and side missions. Some of the side missions are dungeon like. You end up in tunnels and fighting hard to kill Mobs. But, it seems the majority of the main missions are solo events. So you are your own tank/dps/healer.
You are given two equipment slots:
There is a device called the BMG that can heal you/restore shields, or drain shields and life of your target.
That takes up a slot.
Second slot could be pistol, shot gun, rocket launcher, sniper, LMG, SMG.... what ever. Heck, many don't use a BMG, instead they carry a second weapon.
Thing to remember though, some weapons draw from the same ammo pool. So you will burn through ammo if you carry two weapons that use the same ammo.

I have seen shadow wars pop up on my map. Shadow wars are PvP events.
They have co-op missions. It's sorta like dungeon finder in WOW. You select a co-op mission, and you get to do it, when enough people have picked that mission.
I think there are PvP type events like that as well, I haven't looked.

Sounds very solo like =/
--

Dalionath

Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB

sadly it is solo kinda type, i played for a while i was never with a team i was always soloing but you can team up with friends.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to Savious

It is. I joined a clan, but have yet to get an invite from them in game. I'm a member on their web site.. lol.

But supposedly, once in a clan, with teamspeak, it's easier to get a group together to do arkfalls and shadow wars.

I, and I know others are as well, are kinda hoping that the next content they add is more group friendly.

It's nice to have players drop in on a mission and help you out, you help them.

But I have to admit, I like the looting system
Loot [ammo, scrip, items] drop to the ground and "glow". You are the only one to see it, so it's your loot.
There is none of the "Need, want" "I did the most DPS", bullshit that occurs in other games.

Even after the big patch, people are still unhappy with the ingame chat system. It doesn't feel like a social game at all.

My understanding is that there is a pursuit [achievement] of having a certain number of friends, playing with them, rescuing them, completing missions with them.

There is also a pursuit of reviving other players. Many are unaware of it, and those that are, are ticked because players have a tendency to hit E [self revive, has to kool down], or T [changed from X. Extraction. You are rezzed by an extraction point and some scrip is taken away]. They want a new indicator system, so they know who is injured and can heal them. Currently you have to look for players crawling on the ground. And when the shit is flying, the last thing you want to do is stop and heal a player. Unless you have back up.

--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to Snakeoil

Couldn't give 2 shits as this is not the console forum.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

said by Cthen:

Couldn't give 2 shits as this is not the console forum.

I guess thats why Snake said he is playing it on the PC.

Then again, maybe you missed that?
--

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

I was replying to this one:

said by Snakeoil:

The game launches April 2nd, and there will be no monthly fee.
My understanding is there are four levels to purchase, a 60 dollar level, 100 dollar level, and a 150 dollar level.

»blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/···hly-fee/

quote:
Let’s get to the nitty gritty of today’s announcement. As of today, you can preorder four different editions of Defiance for the PlayStation 3. And to confirm, Defiance does not have a monthly subscription. Grab the game, jump into the world, and enjoy.

I guess they figure by offering different levels to purchase, they'll make money that way.

After I had read that one I stopped reading the dribble.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

Then why bother replying to the post?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Cthen

Pardon me, Mr. High and mighty thread crapper.

Defiance is a PC, Console game.
So what if I used a playstation blog link?
As the information applied to all the versions of Defiance, I felt it was ok to use.
--

Dalionath

Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB
reply to Snakeoil

dont worry about it snake some people love to troll and be huge shit disturbers.

Annyway back to the game, even it feels like a solo games its prety fun and would be awesome to play with other people!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

said by Dalionath:

dont worry about it snake some people love to troll and be huge shit disturbers.

Annyway back to the game, even it feels like a solo games its prety fun and would be awesome to play with other people!

Agreed. I enjoy doing Arkfalls and missions where there is another player assisting.
--

Dalionath

Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB
reply to Snakeoil

to think the game is most solo its still a VERY fun game i have no sadness of buying it, havent played it for a couple of weeks but i know i will come back time to time to play it, what would be awesome if we did a clan for this forum for that game so we players can have someon to hang out with in game

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I don't have the patience to do a clan ... lol.

I've read the issues some have had with that task in the WOW forums.

Dalionath

Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB
reply to Snakeoil

oh :P

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I'd join a clan, but I lack the skills to run a clan.

Dalionath

Dsl De Saint-Andre, NB
reply to Snakeoil

yeah and i dont play that much so yeah :P i would do it just dont play it much :S