floydb1982

Witch iTunes setting will sound best???

Click for full size
MP3 Encoder
Click for full size
ACC Encoder
Click for full size
I have it set to
I know a compact disc will produce the best sound quality. When ripping an audio CD from the photos above witch one will give me the best sound quality???

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you have the space and only use iTunes/Apple devices, use Apple Lossless. Songs will be 30+MB each, but it's exactly the same as listening to the CD (no audio compression).

If you don't have the space and all your devices support M4A / AAC, go with AAC, variable bit rate (VBR). For my ears, anything over 256kbps VBR AAC is overkill, but use the highest setting you're willing to tolerate for space.

MP3 is a last resort, if you have some ancient device that only supports MP3s.

And make sure you turn on Error Correcting for ripping Audio CDs. It'll take more time, but you'll avoid issues if the disc is scratches or has dust on it. I have a few albums in my library that have hisses or artifacts due to having that option turned off when ripping the CD.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

I use Windows Media Audio 10 Professional 192 kbps, 44 kHz, 2 channel 16 bit 1-pass CBR because I didn't know about iTunes at the time. The CD's I have copied in the Windows Media Audio 10 Professional format I was only able to copy them once before giving all those CD's back to who I borrowed them from a few years back and at the time it seem like the best option for what little hearing I have left. I couldn't tell the difference between the original CD 1,411Kbps vs the Windows Media Audio 10 Professional @ 192Kbps, 160Kbps, 128Kbps, 96Kbps, 64Kbps, 48Kbps, or even 32Kbps. I could hear some what of a slight difference at 20Kbps. 32Kbps and above and I can't tell the difference between that of the original CD bit rate.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
It should also be noted that when I buy music from iTunes store ACC 256Kbps is way overkill for my ears. Even ACC 128Kbps is overkill for my ears as well because of how much hearing I have lost over the years.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Sure sounds like it! I think the quality of the speakers/headphones matters as does the listening environment. When I'm listening to music while vacuuming or doing laundry or anything else loud the quality of the music becomes far less noticeable. But sitting on the couch in front of the high quality speakers at night when it's quiet you can pick up so much more if you use high quality sound files (or maybe better stated - you lose so much less!)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
If you are taking the time to rip, rip lossless.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Never tried Witch iTunes before...

Anyway, I like the ACC, if your devices support it.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

1 edit

floydb1982 to skeechan

to skeechan
skeechan I can't tell the difference between WMA Lossless vs the the WMA PRO 10 192Kbps CBR.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to J E F F4

to J E F F4
J E F F the only thing in my house that supports the ACC audio format is my computer and my portable music player has support for the WMA 9.1 & WMA PRO 9.1. Those were the latest Windows Media Audio codes at the time.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Someone else who may end up listening with you may.