spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zdani
join:2013-03-12

zdani

Internet speed spiking

Hi all,
I'm having a strange issue with my ASUS PCE-N15 network card. Every 5-10 minutes or so my connection speed spikes for about 10 seconds.
I've ran speedtest.net, sometimes it goes as low as 0.8 Mbps. Although it's usually closer to 4Mbps. Oddly, the upload speed is usually double the download speed at 9.5 Mbps. The download graph constantly plumets very low and then goes back up

On my laptop with the same connection it stays pretty constant at 13Mbps and 9.8 upload (placed right on top of my desktop to ensure it has the same interference).

About a month ago, I gave my Apple Airport router (hooked up to bell modem) a hard reset and reconfigured the internet connection. I had no spikes for about 2 weeks, then they returned. I'm guessing here but could it be some buffer issue?

Appreciate all the help, thanks!

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

#1 Do you have any computers that have a wired connection to your router?

#2 What software firewall is on your desktop computer with this issue?

#3 Does this happen on other WAPs? For example at a Hotspot
zdani

zdani

#1 No wired computers and when the spiking happens, I've ensured I was the only one connected.

#2 ESET Smart Security 4

#3 THis is my desktop so I don't usua;;y use other WAP, however it happened at my previous apartment with a different router and modem.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to zdani

Premium Member

to zdani
#1 Which bell modem?

#2 The reason that I asked if you have a wired computer: Is to see if the same thing, happens on your wired computer - because if it does, it might not be a wireless issue.
zdani

zdani

Bell/ Sagemcom 2864 modem/router combo
Also connected to an Apple TimeMachine (which I believe is the active router)

I can't wire my computer directly unfortunately.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall

MVM

said by zdani:

Bell/ Sagemcom 2864 modem/router combo
Also connected to an Apple TimeMachine (which I believe is the active router)

I can't wire my computer directly unfortunately.

Why can't you wire your computer directly? No access to a physical port or the router?