Search similar:

uniqs
dude34221
join:2002-06-13
Athens, OH

dude34221

Best speedtest down,Please help me find mirror on YOUR local

Click for full size
For years, I have used »speedtest.insight.rr.com/ as my ONLY speed test. Not for the server location, ui, speed of testing, or anything else. It was solely for the DETAILS the test provided. I have never seen any other speedtest come close, other than a few DOS text diagnostic tools during the 2400 or 9600 baud days.

It appears that the speed test might be down/dead. This speedtest helped me win a fight with timewarner over peaktime congestion, here on the direct forum. It left them with NO excuses, and expedited the area's docsis 3.0 upgrade. This test helped not only my connection, but also that of my neighbors and friends. So there is an odd personal connection as well. (A very funny and ironic situation happened to me with a tech during that ordeal, it's at the bottom of this post to stay on topic, PLEASE continue reading though)

I know TWC bought out insight and that could be the reason, and that is why I am hoping to find the test on another local's mirror! My last use was Feb 8th 2013 and this is my first time checking since. Down or me reports down, as well as different DNS servers having no luck.

At the bottom of this post, I will include my latest test verbatim. This is to give you an idea of the extensiveness and usefulness of the test. It literally helped me diagnose and fix hundreds of connections over the years, including my own. I sincerely hope that this speedtest was mirror'd on another rr's local website. PLEASE check your local RR website, and see if you have a test similar to the one I am describing.

These subdomains are acting very weird. rr.com goes to roadrunners website like normal. insight.rr.com redirects to a coupons.com website. speedtest.insight.rr.com gives me a 103 error.

Quick details: It was Java app located on two urls: »speedtest.insight.rr.com/ and »speedtest.insight.rr.com ··· ced.html

My last test:

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_07

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
100 Mbps FastEthernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Good network cable(s) found

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 88.34 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.06% of the time
This connection is sender limited 86.8% of the time.
This connection is network limited 13.20% of the time.

The following TCP settings were detected:
TCP Receive Window (RWIN): 456976 bytes
Selective ACKs: ON
Nagle Algorithm: ON
Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
Time Stamping: OFF
Window Scaling: ON

------ Potential Bottlenecks ------
The theoretical network limit is 126.1 Mbps
The NDT server has a 1024.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 90.56 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 446.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 39.46 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 34.55 Mbps

Client Data reports link is 'FastE', Client Acks report link is 'Ethernet'
Server Data reports link is 'OC-48', Server Acks report link is 'OC-48'

------ Routing Analysis ------
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [184.57.82.163] but Client says [192.168.0.11]

(Quick funny story: The fourth and final tech TWC sent out to my house when I was fighting them literally lived seven houses down the street. He admitted to me he had the same problem I did, and there was nothing he could do other than check the wiring (Which was done the three times prior). He complained to me that he couldn't watch a youtube video without frustration due to the 5-20% packetloss and 1.5-5mb speeds during peak. We were both on docsis 2.0 15/1 "turbo/boost" plans at the time. We shared quite a good laugh at the situation, and he truly wished me the best of luck making a stink to corporate represenative)

(Extended TWC fight details/another funny story: Took 42 days from the initial post in the direct forum to a real fix. Told that two supposed "fixes" happened during that time period. Each did literally nothing.
Had my trouble ticket get created by TWC direct, then found out from them that it was closed without their knowledge. Granted, this happened six days before the fix, but still they only checked because I held them accountable. Eleven traceroutes, twenty-three speedtests, and fourteen line monitors originating from four different servers is what it took.)

However I must say TWC direct did the best job they could, and that's why I am still with them as an isp. I will also ask them about the status of this speedtest in the direct forum, and respond with the results when/if I get them.

A HUGE thank you in advance. Best of karma to y'all.
whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh

While it's unknown to me whether all these links are still active, or how accurate their results are (I haven't tested any of them recently), they do host the same type of test that you're asking for.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Where are the TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool Locations?

Good luck!
dude34221
Athens, OH

dude34221

Thanks a TON! You saved my tech supporting life. They all are the same test/applet per say though. Only one of them was down! These tests even provide more data than the TWC speed test I used.

~80% of the info is presented very raw. As in: issue/setting:value. I agree that more info is better than less. However, the TWC test was much more ideal for troubleshooting.

TWC test displayed results in sentence syntax with the most important info. All but ~10-15 times the TWC test contained the problem or bad setting. Best guess: I used this test to aid in fixing ~130 problems/issues over a five year period.

Yes, the tests provide even more info than TWC's did, and I am truly thankful to have access to additional data! However, quoting the basic TWC tests left many techs confused. I can't imagine a tech properly diagnosing a problem provided with this wall of great info. For example, I would guess they would skim it over, look at what they know, and move on. My monies on they would skip something important, such as CWND results.

Got a reply from TWC direct, they are looking into it. I will update soon as I hear anything. Anyone else know of other java WEB100 tests?

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224 to dude34221

to dude34221
well there's some major changes happening in the company, and I suspect one effect will be the consolidation of the speed-test sites. we've been advising customers to use the official TWC speedtest at »www.twc.com/speedtest for over a year now, and while there are few details available, it will be the most local test once you've input your ZIP.
dude34221
Athens, OH

dude34221

That was my first thought kba, as much as I dreeded it. Where do you input zip at on the speedtest app?

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224

Click for full size
right at the top of the TWC.com site once you've selected 'for your home' if asked, there's a place to put the ZIP in.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to anon_5224

Premium Member

to anon_5224
said by anon_5224:

well there's some major changes happening in the company, and I suspect one effect will be the consolidation of the speed-test sites. we've been advising customers to use the official TWC speedtest at »www.twc.com/speedtest for over a year now, and while there are few details available, it will be the most local test once you've input your ZIP.

But that is the utter crap Flash test. Oceanic TWC used to use the vastly superior Vsualware MySpeed test (partly because I really pushed for them to purchase it). Then eventually, they didn't want to pay to renew the contract and they got the FREE flash test and that is the crap test that TWC in general is moving to use nationwide. That is very sad.

You don't need to put your zip in on that page. It's already there. I use the old local Oceanic link. I didn't know there was a national link. But besides Flash speed tests being crap, I don't have flash enabled in any browser and I won't start it up just for a junk speed test. I only use Java speed tests...Web100 and VisualWare MySpeed.
Mele20

Mele20 to dude34221

Premium Member

to dude34221
»www.internet2.edu/perfor ··· dex.html

Actual signup page for the listserve is:

»lists.internet2.edu/symp ··· dt-users

The list members are mostly those involved with maintaining the Web100 test servers. I read only as much of the discussion is over my head.
Mele20

Mele20 to anon_5224

Premium Member

to anon_5224
My post above this one was meant as a reply to you about the Web100 tests. I accidently replied to dude34221 instead.

The Web100 tests days are numbered. At least that was what I read a year or so ago from the developers but they are still around. There are supposed to be newer tests but the servers are still maintained by the Universities and other scientific endeavor locations.

You know you can email the person managing the server you use? I have done that a couple of years ago. You may not get an answer but you may. I did.
dude34221
Athens, OH

dude34221

That visualware test is very interesting! Thanks. Any idea about the details/names of the newer tests? I would email the server manager, but with the website down I am at a loss as who to contact.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to dude34221

Premium Member

to dude34221
I personally use the SamKnows broadband quality monitoring system.

Not sure they're still taking signups or not.

Where a traditional speed test is generally on demand and only showing you a point-in-time result, the SamKnows router watches all the time. So I can see trends.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Visualware's MySpeed can be purchased and you can set it to run speed tests to any 5 of their main servers. It can be set to run every 10 minutes, every 30 minutes, etc.
dude34221
Athens, OH

dude34221 to anon_5224

to anon_5224
i hope tw has an internal system to lookup locations from their ips. we all know how inaccurate geolocation from ip addresses are in general. From the faq:

Internet >> Speed Test >> How does the Speed Test know where I am?
Question:
How does the Speed Test know where I am?
Answer:
Your location is determined based on your IP address.

can anyone help to trace the ip addresses the speedtest use in your local? this will 100% see if they are different tests in different areas. i am also curious as to where my personal testing location is
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
My test is here: »speedtest.oceanic.com/
It has been here since I got Road Runner in June 2001 (although the test itself has changed several times).

It is the same test as the one that shows up via TWC webpage. It even says HAWAII speed test on TWC page so I think TWC knows where I am.

On the TWC page my zip and city name are already there. I don't need to insert anything.
dude34221
Athens, OH

dude34221

Got my answer: Speed test shutdown to consolidate resources. Was nice having a Web100 test in Ohio while it lasted though!