travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to rmdir

to rmdir

Re: Post info here about speed upgrades predicted/not here yet

Just out of curiosity, aside from the justifiable bragging rights, what does 205 down get you? None of the more mainstream commercial servers will send more than about 5% of that at best. I suppose if you had 9 roommates, you could all watch different HD streams at the same time. Other than that?

You'd have to take a good look at your router. Aside from the obvious wireless throughput limitations, the LAN-WAN interface can be a bottleneck on the cheaper can be an issue.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

Will have to wait and see. Since it's less costly than my 27/7 business plan, if it at least hits those speeds I'm still ahead.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
Does CC increase the speed of their tiers every year? How often do they do this?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

Does CC increase the speed of their tiers every year? How often do they do this?

In my experience, yes, they do. Or every year and half. What the NE section gets this year, my area would get almost a year from now.

A most recent example was the current round of upgrades going on over the last few months and still ongoing.

These upgrades happened in the NE almost a year ago.
utcappy
join:2005-02-28
Hastings, MI

utcappy to Oregonian

to Oregonian
In my statement was a flier stating my speed had been doubled.
Still nothing, so it should be any day in Battle Creek, Michigan.

TooLazyMakeA
@comcast.net

TooLazyMakeA to Oregonian

Anon

to Oregonian
Pay for Comcast 50/10 residential, West Palm Beach FL. I got all mad when my internet died late Sunday night. Rather then call and ask what was going on, I decided to go to sleep and woke up to this:

EmilGolen2
join:2000-09-25
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2 to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

Rebooted my modem and my router last night, and no change here yet either.

I'm on Performance, so the "change" that I'm looking for is the removal of Power Boost, and my actual speeds to be either 20/5 or 25/5 (I keep seeing different reports of what Performance will be once PB is removed).

My latest ShaperProbe is below. As you can see, it still detects PB on both the upstream and downstream.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.87.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4263 Kbps.
Downstream: 22710 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4511-4581 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9778-10135 KB;
Shaping rate: 15941 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

My latest speedtest shows this as well, and also posted the picture.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0609.png

--Brian

Virtually identical to my results!
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir

I was told by my sales person who I was referred to by our business rep the upgrade is to come on the 17th. I don't know if that's regional or nationwide. Take it with a grain of salt-I can't vouch for her level of knowledge as she's new to me. OTOH, she's higher up the Comcast food chain than the idiots you get when you call in, so she may have better intel.
quantux
join:2011-07-07

quantux to Oregonian

to Oregonian
Got an email in the comcast.net account yesterday saying speed had been increased, power reset modem and router to see the difference. I ran a speedtest and got ~25 down ~4 up consistently to several servers. Rebooted the modem/router as instructed in the email, now all speedtests cap at exactly 22 down and 4.5 up. Powerboost is definitely gone, I downloaded the latest ubuntu iso from a local mirror at 2.6 MB/sec from start to finish, before it would have started at 2.1 and evened out at 1.7 or so. Feel bad for the majority of people who don't even know they have a comcast/xfinity email address...

Location is Salt Lake City, UT

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

(topic move) Confused by speed upgrade, which wasn't for me

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Speed] Confused by speed upgrade
Sunny

Sunny to Oregonian

to Oregonian

(topic move) My bill says I have the speed increase, but I don't

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »My bill says I have the speed increase, but I don't see it
MikePWV
join:2010-09-08
Martinsburg, WV

MikePWV to donkeywaffle

to donkeywaffle

I've had 4 downs and 2 up channels for a couple weeks now. Just the other day I rebooted the modem and now I only have 1 up channel. My upstream speed has gone from 4-5 on avg to 10-11 so it looks like they are upgrading our area. Download speed still not 50 Mb/s

donkeywaffle
Serf
join:2000-09-25
Winchester, VA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO

donkeywaffle

Well you're halfway there Mike! Now they need to work on the downstream.

I've have Blast here (Winchester, Va) and have had 36/5.5 for quite some time. No increases still.

I purchased a Zoom 5314J and get 8 channels on downstream, but only two on upstream, like you had. Even with your single upstream channel you have faster ups.

Did you apply an actual reset to the modem or just an off/on reboot? Some OPs are getting results after a reset as opposed to a off/on power cycle.

Good luck!
MikePWV
join:2010-09-08
Martinsburg, WV

1 edit

MikePWV

I have no idea what caused me to lose my 2 upstream channels. Normally i'll restart my modem from the configuration menu on the modem webpage. I have a Motorola SB6120 which i think only does 4 down. I tried asking tech support when the upgrade was coming and they are clueless.

[att=1]
utcappy
Hastings, MI

utcappy to Oregonian

to Oregonian
Over a month of waiting since hearing news of Michigan getting the speed upgrade, I am still waiting for the upgrade in Battle Creek, Michigan.
The flier came with my bill a couple weeks ago, still nothing.

4 channels down, 2 up.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

I didn't receive the flyer until after the upgrade had occurred.

Are you sure that your area hasn't already been upgraded but your equipment just doesn't support it?

What modem are you using?
Expand your moderator at work
utcappy
Hastings, MI

utcappy to Oregonian

to Oregonian

Arris WBM760A, it supports the new speeds, just not getting them here still.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Oregonian

to Oregonian

(topic move) [Speed] Got upgrade notice, but afraid to reboot my

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Speed] Got upgrade notice, but afraid to reboot my router
Big Hurt
join:2004-02-26
Battle Creek, MI

Big Hurt to Oregonian

to Oregonian

Ok now May 1st and still no upgraded speeds in Springfield, MI.

rcarovano
join:2000-10-07
San Diego, CA

rcarovano to raffoutroud

to raffoutroud

Re: [Speed] Post reports of speed increase not yet received

I am currently at the Performance tier in Seattle, getting 20+ Mbps down and 4+ Mbps up. Do I take it that I will be in for another increase later this year?
utcappy
Hastings, MI

utcappy to Oregonian

to Oregonian

Talked to online support, which was completely pointless. Asked when I would be getting the speed upgrade, and I pointed out that blast is now 50/11 on the products page.

They said there was a problem with my line, however my modem stats are fine. Sent a rep out, told him it was a waste of time, and he agreed.

He said he would look into why our area is not getting the upgrade, still nothing from him a week later.

sda
@comcast.net

sda

Anon

Speed increase confirmed! My network connection started getting a bit wonky so I reset the modem. When I ran the speed test I noted the increased download speed to 55MBps and upload over 10MBps. Nice upgrade....finally!!

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by sda :

Speed increase confirmed! My network connection started getting a bit wonky so I reset the modem. When I ran the speed test I noted the increased download speed to 55MBps and upload over 10MBps. Nice upgrade....finally!!

You might want to note your location.
utcappy
Hastings, MI

utcappy to Oregonian

to Oregonian
After starting a new promotion I asked the loyalty department when Battle Creek, Michigan would be getting the upgrade. He said the third week of August, The 19th they will be starting.
System

to Oregonian

Anon

to Oregonian
This topic has been un-stickied by Sunny See Profile
stalbanswva31
join:2003-03-24
Fort Myers, FL

stalbanswva31 to Oregonian

to Oregonian

In Philadelphia, PA I have Performance Starter. typically 5/1.
I got a letter saying my Docis 1.1 modem would be EOS in December. Bought a Docis 3. In the process of getting it to work.
Anyway, when I connected it, I got two blue lights, supposedly indicating bonded channels? And one channel is ...how many mbs?
Fios was installed in the neighborhood about a year ago. Comcast may have lost customers.
Waiting to see what happens.