kudos:15
reply to andyross

Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released

notes

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I wonder of those last two bug fixes may fix the issue with T4 timeouts on upstream channels.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by andyross:

I wonder of those last two bug fixes may fix the issue with T4 timeouts on upstream channels.

I don't know about T4 timeouts (I have not been seeing that problem), but the first reboot after the FW update did not have a T3 timeout in my logs (that is the first time I can recall seeing a reboot that did not have an initial T3 timeout in the log).

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

N.M.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

I don't know about T4 timeouts (I have not been seeing that problem), but the first reboot after the FW update did not have a T3 timeout in my logs (that is the first time I can recall seeing a reboot that did not have an initial T3 timeout in the log).

That's interesting - I will check that this weekend when I get home. I see T3 every time on restart and a missing center uplink channel.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by travelguy:

said by NetFixer:

That's interesting - I will check that this weekend when I get home. I see T3 every time on restart and a missing center uplink channel.

FWIW, Sometimes I see them on my SB6141 and sometimes not. But today I saw one after each reboot.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to NetFixer

I'm still waiting for the forced restart trigger from the CMTS, that is if Comcast knows how to use it.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to DrDrew

how about a url or link to the notes Dr.Drew

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

I'm still waiting for the forced restart trigger from the CMTS, that is if Comcast knows how to use it.

Don't hold you breath while waiting. Comcast does sometimes do forced firmware loads, but that is usually only done for emergency firmware changes when the existing firmware in the field is severely malfunctioning. NetDog See Profile has posted that this firmware upgrade is using the "attrition method": »Re: [Connectivity] New SB6120/6121 Firmware Released
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

how about a url or link to the notes Dr.Drew

Neither are available unless you have a Moto login... »digitalcm.motorola.com

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to NetFixer

???
I got the new firmware as well, although it showed a T3 timeout after a reset/reboot a couple of minutes ago like it has previously for me. I didn't see what happened immediately after the upgrade, as that was flushed out of the logs already.

One thing I have noticed since then is the list of modulations for my "second" upstream channel (25.3 MHz) have changed. It used to say QPSK and 16QAM, now it says 64QAM as well. I have no idea if that means that particular channel supports all of them.
--
KI6RIT

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by n_w95482:

I got the new firmware as well, although it showed a T3 timeout after a reset/reboot a couple of minutes ago like it has previously for me. I didn't see what happened immediately after the upgrade, as that was flushed out of the logs already.

I probably just got "lucky" on that first reboot after the firmware upgrade, but I won't know for sure for several more days (unless for some reason I have an unscheduled modem reboot). Before this firmware upgrade, I would typically see one T3 timeout immediately after a reboot, and then randomly see others only every 3-4 days. I have a pretty good connection, so I really don't see a lot of modem log entries except after a reboot (my current log looks just as it did in my earlier post in this thread...no new entries).
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to DrDrew

Thanks Dr.Drew

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to NetFixer

It's possible Comcast could just do a rolling "maintenance outage" overnight which would cause the modems to restart automatically which would then download the new firmware upon resynch

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by Mike Wolf:

It's possible Comcast could just do a rolling "maintenance outage" overnight which would cause the modems to restart automatically which would then download the new firmware upon resynch

I can't imagine Comcast doing that just to push firmware to a specific brand/model of cable modem, not when it can be done on a case by case basis if required without knocking an entire area offline.

Try changing your bait, and maybe you will get a big one.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

It's still possible.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Mike Wolf:

It's still possible.

It's possible that the entire east coast will go dark tonight, and the new firmware will install after power is restored. But that has very little relevance to the topic being discussed in this thread.
--

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Do you know something? Anyway good thing for battery backups and generators.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

'fraid not. A couple of well placed EMP events will take those out as well.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Yeah but if that were to happen I don't think a lack of functioning cable modems would be our first concern.