share rss forum feed

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Snuffbox

Re: ATT Uverse DSL - Good Speed, poor performance help?

Is anyone able to decipher if any of that information is normal/abnormal?

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to freakout9903

said by freakout9903:

and UNCHECK(to disable the 3801 from touching anything):
Stealth Mode
Block Ping

Why?

Unchecking two options make you visible on the internet. And no your little linksys router will not solve that.

Keep in mind that even in DMZPlus mode, it's still the 2Wire which connects to the internet. It just shares that connection with your linksys.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Snuffbox

said by Snuffbox:

Seems normal to me. Don't see any errors or not many at all.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

said by David:

said by Snuffbox:

Seems normal to me. Don't see any errors or not many at all.

The screenshot of the errors page is misleading because there is only 42 minutes worth of data.

Snuffbox can you post an updated screenshot of the error page from UVRealtime that has at least 24 hours worth of day since the last time the RG was restarted. This will give us a much better idea if you are having a lot of errors over a period of time.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to Snuffbox

I was comparing the 3/15 and 3/19 images. Pretty much looked the same.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Snuffbox

Click for full size
Sorry, I double attached one of my pictures and missed this one. (This one was taken at the exact same time as all of the others.)

It had been going for almost 5 days in this screen shot.

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk
reply to Mangix

said by Mangix:

said by freakout9903:

and UNCHECK(to disable the 3801 from touching anything):
Stealth Mode
Block Ping

Why?

Unchecking two options make you visible on the internet. And no your little linksys router will not solve that.

Keep in mind that even in DMZPlus mode, it's still the 2Wire which connects to the internet. It just shares that connection with your linksys.

If you have used a third party firmware you would know its pretty much like having linux firewall between the gateway and the rest of your devices. I can be very specific with iptables, so yes essentially it opens me up to the Internet but unwanted traffic is still filtered out just by my tomato based router instead of the gateway. As long as all my devices are connected behind my dmz device and not directly to the gateway, nothing is "wide open" to the Internet .

Mangix

united state
reply to Snuffbox

Wrong.

Go to »grc.com and run the ShieldsUp! scan. Without the Block Ping option, you are pingable through the internet. Without the Stealth mode option set, there were two ports that were listed as blocked instead of stealthed when that option is unchecked.

These options do not really impact the fact that you have a router behind the 2wire. They're just basic stuff that most if not all routers have enabled by default.

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk

These options do not really impact the fact that you have a router behind the 2wire. They're just basic stuff that most if not all routers have enabled by default.

Exactly....and your gateway is essentially a modem with a built in router/bridge, by disabling these features your basically turning the gateway into a modem and then putting a router behind it. Ping and ports and everything still gets blocked as it would if the gateway was the acting router, ill give you my public ip if you want to see. You won't get a response from any computer on my network I guarantee it.

Mangix

united state

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. The 2Wire is a computer. When I ping your public IP address, I am pinging the 2Wire. There is currently no way to bridge the 2Wire.