Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Thermaltake Intros New Non-Interference Cooler Series

said by Tom's Hardware :

Thermaltake Intros New Non-Interference Cooler Series
9:00 AM - March 9, 2013 by Kevin Parrish
Source: Thermaltake

On Thursday Thermaltake said that it has finally solved the issue of CPU coolers getting in the way of RAM slots thanks to the introduction of a new series of CPU coolers, the NiC Series.

In many cases, traditional "tower" coolers aren't ideal in a desktop because they're just too tall or wide. They can also get in the way of RAM slots that are positioned too closely to the CPU socket. Thermaltake claims it has cleared this obstacle with its new NiC Series of CPU coolers which use a slim tower side-flow form factor.

NiC actually stands for "Non-interference Cooler", and the series itself consists of four models: the NiC F3 (160W), NiC F4 (180W), NiC C4 (200W) and NiC C5 (230W). Thermaltake claims that they are fully compatible with all kinds of RAM, even the towering, high-end overclocked sticks inserted by power users.

According to Thermaltake, the slim coolers feature curved aluminum fins, each measuring just 0.4-mm thick, allowing for reduced backpressure and maximized overflow. The base plates are made of nickel plated copper which sends the processor's heat to the fin arrays through three to five 6-mm U-shaped heatpipes.

As for fans, the F3 model features one 120-mm PWM fan and the F4 model sports two -- both of these models use automatically adjustable silent fan blades with speeds between 800 and 1,600 RPM. The C4 and C5 models use VR fans that are hooked up to an adjustable fan speed nob, allowing users to manually adjust the spin from 1,000 to 2,000 RPM.

"Convenient tool-less fan clip design makes installation a breeze," the company said. "This [new series] brings the air cooler industry another level towards silence, performance and compatibility."

So far an actual launch date and pricing haven't been provided, so stay tuned.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

how long has this been a problem and now one company offers a solution?
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Just shows how many companies care about it, or I guess they expected people that care to use liquid cooling. Really great to see this, If it cools good enough it will sell like hot cakes.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by me1212:

Just shows how many companies care about it, or I guess they expected people that care to use liquid cooling. Really great to see this, If it cools good enough it will sell like hot cakes.

Agreed, I'm not really keen on Liquid Cooling, but was considering a closed loop. This would be a good alternative to a closed loop.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Ditto, the pump goes out then its not as easy as just changing the fan motor. Having said that I do have a closed loop cooler because I don't want my ram slots covered and at the time I had no choice.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

Funny I was just going to say the Corsair closed-loop units solved this problem several years ago. Still I can see the appeal of this, not everybody wants to have tubes around and mount a radiator.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla

said by pnjunction:

said by Blockgorilla:

Funny I was just going to say the Corsair closed-loop units solved this problem several years ago. Still I can see the appeal of this, not everybody wants to have tubes around and mount a radiator.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Blockgorilla:

said by pnjunction:

said by Blockgorilla:

I'm not sure what your point is. The tubes and radiator are a solution. If you're saying some people don't like them, well that's exactly what I said.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
This was a huge problem for the growing size of non OEM air coolers.

However I can see how this would appeal to someone who does not even want one of those completely contained water systems.

I think the biggest advantage for liquid cooling is the heat removal capacity while not having a major increase in noise production.