spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

[OC] (Sometimes) Overclocking Failure

Overclocking newbie here with probably (for you guys) a simple question.

I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard with 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Ares Series DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory.
In the Asus UEFI (BIOS) Ai Overclock Tuner, I have selected [X.M.P.] for my PC3 14900 RAM setting.

This X.M.P. setting supposedly takes advantage of my higher performance memory by overclocking (automatically) to the correct parameters.
This does boost the RAM properly and works (for the most part) as indicated by the newer listed 1866 MHz memory frequency.

The problem is that sometimes when I turn on the computer there are NO POST beeps and I am forced to shutdown by holding the button in and then restarting where upon the computer will POST correctly,
but indicate there was a "Overclocking Failure" and that I should press F1 and enter "Setup" to correct the problem.

I can enter the BIOS ("Setup") take a look around then log out without saving, and continue on to the desktop without issue.
This overclocking failure does NOT occur every time I start up the computer but is annoying never the less when it does occurr.

The quick fix is to enter the BIOS Ai Overclock Tuner and change from [X.M.P.] back to default optimal "[Auto], which brings the RAM frequency back down to 1333MHz.
This is NOT what I paid extra $$ for in this RAM however.

Is there a slight adjustment I should make in RAM voltage? Or what else might be required for consistent start up assurance?

Thanks for any insight into this matter

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

1. What is the voltage at 1866?

2. Can you run it at 1600?

3. You can buy ram rated at 2800mhz, but it does not guarantee your CPU/mobo can run it.

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

The Voltage at 1866MHz (933) is 1.500v
The same (1.5v) as for 1333 MHz

Yes as I said in my post, I can boot and run with NO issue at default optimal [AUTO] setting (1333MHz).

Once past POST and boot up to desktop, my system runs the [X.M.P.] "overclocked" setting just fine!
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I had similar issues with the Asus board in my HTPC (F1A75M-Pro). I found that the secondary RAM timings were set WAY too tight on auto. I'm not sure how extensively XMP profiles set up things other than the main group of timings listed in your picture, but you may want to double-check them.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9 to mattrixx

to mattrixx
Have you tried manually setting the timings? I needed to do that for my Gskill Sniper Series