share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to NetFixer

Re: [Connectivity] Is this how Comcast treats a customer of 10 y

said by NetFixer:

In this case, the person should have a business class connection, and be able to get priority same day service to get the connection restored.

Sorry, but residential class internet service is considered to be an entertainment service, not an essential lifeline service. Yes, customers don't always think of it that way, but that is the way that most ISPs and regulatory agencies see it.

BS.. Business customers get no such thing. I keep hearing all this talk about priority service for business but in the times I have had to get a truck roll it was at the very minimum the next morning and most of the time two days out. This has happened in two different markets so it isn't a local market thing.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

said by PeteC2:

I am not sure that there may be a better way to handle this, as the guys in the truck aren't there to fix problems at any residence, just eliminate the noise.

you mean its tough to try to get a maintenance tech to spend an hour at a house fixing a shotty install??

What Shotty install? The designated drop was installed 5 years ago and has 1 split for grounding purposes. It's intention was to run all the way straight to my modem to alleviate any chances for a deteriorated out of spec connection. The only thing I can think of causing noise is my recently swapped modem. What's the coincidence that I get a new modem and then a week later my line gets cut for "noise leakage"?

And according to speed tests I'm still waiting for the 25/5 upgraded speeds to arrive..

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

BS.. Business customers get no such thing. I keep hearing all this talk about priority service for business but in the times I have had to get a truck roll it was at the very minimum the next morning and most of the time two days out. This has happened in two different markets so it isn't a local market thing.

Not trying to thread-jack. I do concur this same experience with Business Class and needing two business days. My last issue was on a Friday night and the earliest they could get someone out was Tuesday afternoon.

It may be a regional thing though. NetFixer may be in one of the few regions that actually provide business grade response times.

mario02423

join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by noc007:

It may be a regional thing though. NetFixer may be in one of the few regions that actually provide business grade response times.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and would usually get next day rolls, never same day.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by NetFixer:

In this case, the person should have a business class connection, and be able to get priority same day service to get the connection restored.

Sorry, but residential class internet service is considered to be an entertainment service, not an essential lifeline service. Yes, customers don't always think of it that way, but that is the way that most ISPs and regulatory agencies see it.

Sorry to hear about your poor service experiences, but that has not been the case for me. I have not had any problems getting same day service even on holidays/weekends.

Also, you neglected to post the rest of my quote on that subject:
said by NetFixer:

A person in that situation should also have their own emergency backup plan, such as perhaps a tethered cell phone or cell phone modem that could be used as a backup.

Anyone who depends on a service or device for business or for personal emergencies should always provide their own backup for that service or device.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CUBS_FAN

Sorry about your experience.

Not that it helps you at all, but a couple of years ago I was visiting a friend (who lived somewhat near an airport) when the same thing happened. In fact I was using the connection at the time. Called in and after some troubleshooting, they scheduled a truck roll for late the next day.

The CC tech was a very nice guy. He checked a couple of things inside, then went out, grabbed a ladder (leaned it against the utility pole out back), and checked things out. He came back down and said that a tech must have been out yesterday because the line was cut by the connector, which was damaged, and tagged for RF noise.

He just put a new connector on the line and hooked it back up. Everything was good.

He told me that the tech should have seen that the line was in use (it is tagged) and replaced the obviously damaged connector. Even if the line wasn't tagged as in use, he was supposed to knock on the door to check before just cutting the line.

Anyway, he said that the FCC was really getting on each cable company's case for RF interference near airports, and CC was stepping up their efforts to eliminate the interference.

As it turned out, my friend said he had noticed poorer internet performance when his neighbor had CC hook her up a couple of months before. He assumed it was her kids sucking up bandwidth, but as long as it didn't affect him much (he's just a light user) he didn't check it out further. He figures that was when the connector on his line was damaged.

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
reply to PeteC2

They most certainly do have very easy methods to determine where the noise is coming from. All they have to do is disconnect the cable and measure both sides... either it's on Comcast's side or the consumer's.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

said by gar187er:

you mean its tough to try to get a maintenance tech to spend an hour at a house fixing a shotty install??

Nope. Meant exactly what I said. They are sent out to cut the noise out of the system where it is being introduced. They have no way to discern if it is caused by Comcast, or if some customer has loopy connections, equipment, or splitters inside.

you missed my

and yes they have a way to tell.
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to CUBS_FAN

OP im willing to bet the connector on the back your modem is loose.
--
I'm better than you!

LoneStar

join:2013-03-13
Huffman, TX
reply to CUBS_FAN

CLI, cumulative leakage index is a measurement of radio frequency signal interference egressed, or leaked, or emitted out from a cable line. It is necessary and mandated by the FCC that the interference be maintained below a certain threshold, in order to protect frequencies used by airports for various communications. Your residence obviously exceeded the threshold for the safe operating range and therefore was disconnected. Usually the technician will attempt to make customer contact but if they fail, then a door tag will usually be left indicating that you need to call the cable company to schedule an acceptable time when a tech can come to the house or business to find and fix the problem.

This talk about noise in the system is not the same as egress, RF interference emitted out, but rather ingress, which is unacceptable amplitudes of RF signal introduced into the cable system. Noise and leakage are two different things, but commonly share the same fix or repair. In other words if you have a cracked cable, a torn sheath, a loose connector, etc. then noise could be introduced into the cable network, but not always, or cable signal could be leaking out from, causing unwanted interference with air traffic, but not always.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

OP im willing to bet the connector on the back your modem is loose.

I checked the connection at the back of the modem and its tightened by hand pretty well where it won't get any tighter. I didn't use any wrench just in case something breaks it's not my fault.

Orlando 57

@comcast.net

Cubs fan,

You say you changed your modem because of packet loss.

A major cause of packet loss is noise in the cable.

You may want to check all your connections to see if they are tight?

Also check for cable damage. dog chewed cable? Cable near a baseboard heater? (It can damage the cable by the heat of it.)

The connections at the wall? Any other outlets in the house not connected or loose?

The tech should be able to find it.

Good luck

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to CUBS_FAN

Around here policy is if you have a business account and call by 11am you get a tech that day. After 11 next day. Friday to monday is best attempt at earliest time. If you want business time arrangements dont call the residential help lines.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CUBS_FAN

More better to ask not how do you treat a customer of 10 years but how do you treat a customer of 10 years that is having adverse effects on as many as 150 current customers with some who might of been a customer for 20 years. The answer than seems pretty clear.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to CUBS_FAN

First I will tackle your mention of being bumped up to 25/5, meaning you are on performance internet? If so there have been several posts referencing that only those on Blast & Extreme 50 have received the boost. Those on performance will not receive the boost till late March or April, for precise dates, search those threads. Second, the reason they may have cut the line, is having people removed, or otherwise get around the devices they put on the line to degrade the signal, or just cut it off there right after the device, remove it from the tap, and put a new connector on. You profile says Chicago, so either not wanting to state where you live, in the burbs, or you actually live in Chicago. If it's Chicago friends of mine who work for Comcast say that such things aren't out of the ordinary for people to go and reconnect the cable, 10 years or 2 weeks. Yes, the old adage, one bad apple. Their thought is, there is only so much they can do, in some instances, they put "trap" type devices on the on the tap so that can only be removed with special tools, so as people cannot just reconnect themselves. Plus there are all kinds of techs, such as techs that just go around and figure out where noise/ingress is happening. They "may" know how to fix the issue, but that's not their job. That's the job of the techs that the CSR's setup to come out between 10 & 2, on Saturday. Just like there are line techs, who job it is to work on the cables, and wires on the lines, or below ground. As has been previously stated this "new" drop that was put in 5 years ago, is just off the spool perfect from where it connects to Comcast, to the back of your modem? No, nicks, tears, water inside, etc........?

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to James_C

Or on some other companies side. We had a streetlight here that was dimming out every ~5 minutes or so and creating enough noise through the electric lines that modems were losing sync.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

BS.. Business customers get no such thing. I keep hearing all this talk about priority service for business but in the times I have had to get a truck roll it was at the very minimum the next morning and most of the time two days out.

Maybe they made some notes about you in your account?

I get same-day tech dispatches as a business customer -- even on weekends and holidays.

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to CUBS_FAN

Click for full size
When I added Comcast Business Class Internet service the installer added this tag. I was told this was to stop other Comcast employees from disconnecting the line.
--
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

I need to get one of those!
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

Maybe they made some notes about you in your account?

Doubtful. I've gotten the same craptastic residential level grade service from day one. Half the time the CSR has a bad attitude. I'd like to get the direct number to the call center you're being routed to.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to aabaaf

said by aabaaf:

You profile says Chicago, so either not wanting to state where you live, in the burbs, or you actually live in Chicago. If it's Chicago friends of mine who work for Comcast say that such things aren't out of the ordinary for people to go and reconnect the cable, 10 years or 2 weeks. Yes, the old adage, one bad apple. .... As has been previously stated this "new" drop that was put in 5 years ago, is just off the spool perfect from where it connects to Comcast, to the back of your modem? No, nicks, tears, water inside, etc........?

I'm on the north side of Chicago. We'll just wait and see what the tech find tomorrow if he does find anything. If there is some "noise" I'm all for the changes required to get it fixed. As I've said before, it's been 5 years since a truck roll and its unfortunate that it took a cut of my cable line to have someone come out. I'm very patient to wait and see if any problems fix themselves and not so quick to call a tech out of paranoia.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
reply to CUBS_FAN

Funny I just cut one today. Huge leak and had no time to mess with it (was working on the neighbor's drop). Yes it sucks but it's nothing personal. They cut it multiple times to prevent some jerk from reconnecting it (a lazy employee not you). I hate doing it (sometimes people come out wanting to know what's going on and can't blame them). 10 year or 10 day customer means nothing when it comes to signal leakage.

My company (Mediacom) will usually send you a letter before this happens but it all depends on how big the leak is. There are FCC mandated rules on how to handle leaks and it does not matter if you have VOIP or not. Not sure how Comcast handles repairs but Mediacom will never charge you for a leakage related service call. And they will give you credit for the downtime.

You guys have to remember that sometimes there is no time to fix it. Our system techs are driving around with their leakage meters on all the time and if they find a leak they will try to fix it but if the leak is huge and they have other jobs they need to get to, your line will get disconnected. If the leak is small they will note the address and the customer will get a letter informing them about the problem.

One funny thing about this is sometimes you get people that are never available but if their line gets cut they are 'home' within 24 hours
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by Anonymous:

You guys have to remember that sometimes there is no time to fix it. Our system techs are driving around with their leakage meters on all the time and if they find a leak they will try to fix it but if the leak is huge and they have other jobs they need to get to, your line will get disconnected.

But why should the customer suffer if the company does not have enough workers?

And doesn't it cost more in the end, for the company to have to send out another employee on a different truck roll?

Not to mention causing bad feelings by the customer (they may just decide to go to a competitor).

I know that the tech has to keep to schedule, but in a given region they should have a couple of extra guys to respond to urgent situations.

One day the company will be badly sued for having cut off someone's 911 service, and then all this cheap penny-pinching of being understaffed, will come back to bite them.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by PX Eliezer:

One day the company will be badly sued for having cut off someone's 911 service, and then all this cheap penny-pinching of being understaffed, will come back to bite them.

Not going to happen! Comcast's legal beagles have already got that possibility covered in the Subscriber Agreement.

»www.comcast.com/Corporate/Custom···ent.html

said by Comcast :

12. INDEMNIFICATION AND LIABILITY OF CUSTOMER

YOU AGREE THAT YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS COMCAST AND ITS EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS AND BUSINESS PARTNERS AND SHALL REIMBURSE US FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COSTS) INCURRED BY US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIMS, SUITS, JUDGMENTS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF (a) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR XFINITY EQUIPMENT; (b) VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PROPRIETARY RIGHTS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR ANY UNAUTHORIZED APPARATUS OR SYSTEM; (c) ANY CLAIMS OR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE LACK OF 911/E911 OR DIALING ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME SECURITY, HOME DETENTION, OR MEDICAL MONITORING SYSTEM; AND (d) YOUR BREACH OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT.

And the above extract is only one of many such disclaimers scattered throughout that document. This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

said by NetFixer:

Not going to happen! Comcast's legal beagles have already got that possibility covered in the Subscriber Agreement.

This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.

This is perfectly legal, until a judge decides it isn't. Simply putting a disclaimer in a TOS doesn't make it settled law.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL

True it does not make it settled law. But has anyone checked that throughout all the different companies, landline, Bell South, Pacific, Baby Bell, Media Com, Time Warner, Brighthouse, that someone hasn't tried to sue said company for this type or a similar sort of situation before. So that yes, there is a 1%, just a number could be a bit larger, but not much; chance that they could get sued for this reason, but here again, they would exam every single legal avenue available to them. No cell phones, no next door neighbors, no neighbors with cell phones, no mom's walking the family dog chatting to other soccer moms about what little Suzy should bring to the party on Friday at school. Trust me they would find an out, or find someway to for sure minimize the "damages' by suggesting any or multiple of the above. I am not saying that it is right, correct, or moral, just saying what would be argued by a multibillion $ company, also saying we warned you in the fine print, but you still signed up for our services.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to PX Eliezer

said by PX Eliezer:

But why should the customer suffer if the company does not have enough workers?

And doesn't it cost more in the end, for the company to have to send out another employee on a different truck roll?

Not to mention causing bad feelings by the customer (they may just decide to go to a competitor).

I know that the tech has to keep to schedule, but in a given region they should have a couple of extra guys to respond to urgent situations.

On Tuesday I found the wire cut around 1:00pm and not around 5pm or whenever their quitting time is. There's no reason why the tech who cut the line could of taken to time to knock on my door and investigate the leakage. Instead I have to wait 48 hours to find out what the problem is.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06

Yes there is, as was stated in this thread already.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by PX Eliezer:

said by Comcast :

12. INDEMNIFICATION AND LIABILITY OF CUSTOMER

YOU AGREE THAT YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS COMCAST AND ITS EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS AND BUSINESS PARTNERS AND SHALL REIMBURSE US FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COSTS) INCURRED BY US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIMS, SUITS, JUDGMENTS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF (a) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR XFINITY EQUIPMENT; (b) VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PROPRIETARY RIGHTS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR ANY UNAUTHORIZED APPARATUS OR SYSTEM; (c) ANY CLAIMS OR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE LACK OF 911/E911 OR DIALING ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME SECURITY, HOME DETENTION, OR MEDICAL MONITORING SYSTEM; AND (d) YOUR BREACH OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT.

And the above extract is only one of many such disclaimers scattered throughout that document. This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.

They can't disclaim liability that easily. And if it's negligence, then they can't disclaim it at all in most cases (though they may try).

You can throw whatever crap you want into an indemnification clause, but that doesn't mean it's going to stick in court, as Thespis said.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to CUBS_FAN

He checked the signal going downstream to the modem to be good and flat. He then went up to the telephone line and found out that a squirrel chewed through the wire and into the shielding just as it leaves the line and towards my house.The 1st original drop has some chewing damage as well. The tech left it as a decoy and combined everything onto the new drop. He said my modem signals would be too high connecting to a direct line to the modem without some splitters.

love to shoot whoever did that!