Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to aabaaf

Re: [Connectivity] Is this how Comcast treats a customer of 10 y

said by aabaaf:

You profile says Chicago, so either not wanting to state where you live, in the burbs, or you actually live in Chicago. If it's Chicago friends of mine who work for Comcast say that such things aren't out of the ordinary for people to go and reconnect the cable, 10 years or 2 weeks. Yes, the old adage, one bad apple. .... As has been previously stated this "new" drop that was put in 5 years ago, is just off the spool perfect from where it connects to Comcast, to the back of your modem? No, nicks, tears, water inside, etc........?

I'm on the north side of Chicago. We'll just wait and see what the tech find tomorrow if he does find anything. If there is some "noise" I'm all for the changes required to get it fixed. As I've said before, it's been 5 years since a truck roll and its unfortunate that it took a cut of my cable line to have someone come out. I'm very patient to wait and see if any problems fix themselves and not so quick to call a tech out of paranoia.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to CUBS_FAN
Funny I just cut one today. Huge leak and had no time to mess with it (was working on the neighbor's drop). Yes it sucks but it's nothing personal. They cut it multiple times to prevent some jerk from reconnecting it (a lazy employee not you). I hate doing it (sometimes people come out wanting to know what's going on and can't blame them). 10 year or 10 day customer means nothing when it comes to signal leakage.

My company (Mediacom) will usually send you a letter before this happens but it all depends on how big the leak is. There are FCC mandated rules on how to handle leaks and it does not matter if you have VOIP or not. Not sure how Comcast handles repairs but Mediacom will never charge you for a leakage related service call. And they will give you credit for the downtime.

You guys have to remember that sometimes there is no time to fix it. Our system techs are driving around with their leakage meters on all the time and if they find a leak they will try to fix it but if the leak is huge and they have other jobs they need to get to, your line will get disconnected. If the leak is small they will note the address and the customer will get a letter informing them about the problem.

One funny thing about this is sometimes you get people that are never available but if their line gets cut they are 'home' within 24 hours
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·localphone.com
·Callcentric
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
said by Anonymous:

You guys have to remember that sometimes there is no time to fix it. Our system techs are driving around with their leakage meters on all the time and if they find a leak they will try to fix it but if the leak is huge and they have other jobs they need to get to, your line will get disconnected.

But why should the customer suffer if the company does not have enough workers?

And doesn't it cost more in the end, for the company to have to send out another employee on a different truck roll?

Not to mention causing bad feelings by the customer (they may just decide to go to a competitor).

I know that the tech has to keep to schedule, but in a given region they should have a couple of extra guys to respond to urgent situations.

One day the company will be badly sued for having cut off someone's 911 service, and then all this cheap penny-pinching of being understaffed, will come back to bite them.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by PX Eliezer:

One day the company will be badly sued for having cut off someone's 911 service, and then all this cheap penny-pinching of being understaffed, will come back to bite them.

Not going to happen! Comcast's legal beagles have already got that possibility covered in the Subscriber Agreement.

»www.comcast.com/Corporate/Custom···ent.html

said by Comcast :

12. INDEMNIFICATION AND LIABILITY OF CUSTOMER

YOU AGREE THAT YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS COMCAST AND ITS EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS AND BUSINESS PARTNERS AND SHALL REIMBURSE US FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COSTS) INCURRED BY US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIMS, SUITS, JUDGMENTS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF (a) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR XFINITY EQUIPMENT; (b) VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PROPRIETARY RIGHTS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR ANY UNAUTHORIZED APPARATUS OR SYSTEM; (c) ANY CLAIMS OR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE LACK OF 911/E911 OR DIALING ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME SECURITY, HOME DETENTION, OR MEDICAL MONITORING SYSTEM; AND (d) YOUR BREACH OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT.

And the above extract is only one of many such disclaimers scattered throughout that document. This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
said by NetFixer:

Not going to happen! Comcast's legal beagles have already got that possibility covered in the Subscriber Agreement.

This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.

This is perfectly legal, until a judge decides it isn't. Simply putting a disclaimer in a TOS doesn't make it settled law.
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL
True it does not make it settled law. But has anyone checked that throughout all the different companies, landline, Bell South, Pacific, Baby Bell, Media Com, Time Warner, Brighthouse, that someone hasn't tried to sue said company for this type or a similar sort of situation before. So that yes, there is a 1%, just a number could be a bit larger, but not much; chance that they could get sued for this reason, but here again, they would exam every single legal avenue available to them. No cell phones, no next door neighbors, no neighbors with cell phones, no mom's walking the family dog chatting to other soccer moms about what little Suzy should bring to the party on Friday at school. Trust me they would find an out, or find someway to for sure minimize the "damages' by suggesting any or multiple of the above. I am not saying that it is right, correct, or moral, just saying what would be argued by a multibillion $ company, also saying we warned you in the fine print, but you still signed up for our services.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

But why should the customer suffer if the company does not have enough workers?

And doesn't it cost more in the end, for the company to have to send out another employee on a different truck roll?

Not to mention causing bad feelings by the customer (they may just decide to go to a competitor).

I know that the tech has to keep to schedule, but in a given region they should have a couple of extra guys to respond to urgent situations.

On Tuesday I found the wire cut around 1:00pm and not around 5pm or whenever their quitting time is. There's no reason why the tech who cut the line could of taken to time to knock on my door and investigate the leakage. Instead I have to wait 48 hours to find out what the problem is.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Yes there is, as was stated in this thread already.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by PX Eliezer:

said by Comcast :

12. INDEMNIFICATION AND LIABILITY OF CUSTOMER

YOU AGREE THAT YOU SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS COMCAST AND ITS EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, AGENTS, CONTRACTORS, DISTRIBUTORS, LICENSORS AND BUSINESS PARTNERS AND SHALL REIMBURSE US FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COSTS) INCURRED BY US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CLAIMS, SUITS, JUDGMENTS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF (a) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR XFINITY EQUIPMENT; (b) VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF CONTRACTUAL RIGHTS, PRIVACY, CONFIDENTIALITY, COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADEMARK, TRADE SECRET, OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND PROPRIETARY RIGHTS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE(S) OR ANY UNAUTHORIZED APPARATUS OR SYSTEM; (c) ANY CLAIMS OR DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE LACK OF 911/E911 OR DIALING ASSOCIATED WITH A HOME SECURITY, HOME DETENTION, OR MEDICAL MONITORING SYSTEM; AND (d) YOUR BREACH OF ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT.

And the above extract is only one of many such disclaimers scattered throughout that document. This kind of Caveat Emptor disclaimer is pretty much standard boilerplate in the TOS for any communication service provider.

They can't disclaim liability that easily. And if it's negligence, then they can't disclaim it at all in most cases (though they may try).

You can throw whatever crap you want into an indemnification clause, but that doesn't mean it's going to stick in court, as Thespis said.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to CUBS_FAN
He checked the signal going downstream to the modem to be good and flat. He then went up to the telephone line and found out that a squirrel chewed through the wire and into the shielding just as it leaves the line and towards my house.The 1st original drop has some chewing damage as well. The tech left it as a decoy and combined everything onto the new drop. He said my modem signals would be too high connecting to a direct line to the modem without some splitters.

love to shoot whoever did that!

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL
So the 5 year old drop, was not brand new spool perfect........... It also was not at most 3 to 5 feet from where it entered your residence, which is why as previously stated it got cut. The techs that do this, have minimal time, their job is to find noise/ingress, if they can discover the cause in probably at most 5 to 7 mins, and that includes ringing your doorbell, knocking on the door, then they fix it, otherwise it's cut the line a few times, causing you to call a CSR, to schedule a time when a regular tech can visit. As far as was earlier suggested why don't they have techs that when a noise tech does this, can just be called in, it's a case of $$$$$$$$. Comcast would say sure we can "hire" those kinds of techs, but those already high rates everyone complains about will just go up to make sure we're still making the same amount of money we were before. Glad you got it fixed and they the tech at least "tried to" do something to mitigate the issue going forward.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by aabaaf:

The techs that do this, have minimal time, their job is to find noise/ingress, if they can discover the cause in probably at most 5 to 7 mins, and that includes ringing your doorbell, knocking on the door, then they fix it, otherwise it's cut the line a few times, causing you to call a CSR, to schedule a time when a regular tech can visit. As far as was earlier suggested why don't they have techs that when a noise tech does this, can just be called in, it's a case of $$$$$$$$.

Pretty sad that the evidence of the leak was staring at them right in their faces. They took the time to climb up to the line and cut it, but not at the point where the wire was chewed. Nothing was wrong on my end just up on the power line. I'm guessing they didn't want to enter my property to rerun the drop and forced me into calling for service.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
odds are they didnt climb it, they had a bucket.

and as was said, the guy probably didnt have the time to run a new drop.

some days i have extra time to do those kinds of jobs, other times, it gets a filter and i roll on, cause sometimes its one house causing an issue, but more often then not, its a 6-10 houses bring the node down.
--
I'm better than you!

HSTtechs

@myvzw.com
Regardless of how busy the tech was either a door knock, door tag, or a repair call should have be created. Bottom line is that the customer should have somehow been notified he was going to be disco'd and the reason why. Otherwise it's just poor customer service. Ultimately "the fix" repairing the drop would have taken less than 10 minutes. That 10 minutes could have been what saves the customer from going to another provider. The fault should fall on the tech that originally swapped the modem instead of replacing the drop.

Do your job right the first time.

posimosh

join:2011-02-04
Roseville, CA
reply to CUBS_FAN
What are you going to do, switch to someone else? LOL

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
said by posimosh:

What are you going to do, switch to someone else? LOL

I never said I was going to "DO" anything. The intentions of this post was to "inform" people of what Comcast or any other cable Co. is capable of doing. Nowhere in this post have I threatened to go to another company just because of damage done by an animal.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage
reply to HSTtechs
said by HSTtechs :

The fault should fall on the tech that originally swapped the modem instead of replacing the drop.

Do your job right the first time.

I went to the Comcast office to get it swapped, installed and registered by myself.

So true, "Do your job right the first time."

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
It's true. But I never expect the Comcast techs to get it right. I just hope and wish that they do. And at least 50% of the time they have.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.