spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GRB

join:2013-03-07

Has anyone here installed Windows without discs?

My computer (an HP desktop) has slowed down considerably so I'd like to start over with a fresh install. Problem is I don't have the recovery discs. I used Jellybean so at least now I have the keys. I also have the keys to a legitimate copy of Windows 7 that was on my other computer (I switched it to Ubuntu recently) and ideally I'd like to put that on my computer instead of XP if at all possible.

Anyway to do this? I don't know anyone with the discs to XP or 7. The copy of 7 is from 'OEM media' according to Jellybean. Is that going to be a problem?

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

2 edits

You can download the full thing online as an iso file directly from Microsoft. Then you can burn it to a disk or use a USB stick. I have done it using the USB stick. Instructions can be found »www.askvg.com/

Here are the links to download the legit full versions of Windows.
»www.askvg.com/direct-download-li···-64-bit/

switchman

join:1999-11-06

said by Sentinel:

I have done it using the USB stick. Instructions can be found »www.askvg.com/

+1 to Sentinels comment. I really like installing from a USB stick. It is a lot faster.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by switchman:

said by Sentinel:

I have done it using the USB stick. Instructions can be found »www.askvg.com/

+1 to Sentinels comment. I really like installing from a USB stick. It is a lot faster.

+1 for the USB stick -- I have a laptop with a dead optical drive and was able to install W7 via USB -- worked great!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

tahoejeff
Premium
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI
reply to GRB

I don't think the oem key from another pc will work on your xp machine. You'd have to buy an upgrade license to move from xp to win 7.
--
The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

GRB

Ah, really? Well, is there a way to reinstall XP without the CD then?

GRB

reply to tahoejeff

I should add that I've googled and found people saying you press F11 at the start up screen in order to access the recovery partition. I've tried that but all it does is take me to the BIOS menu.

And thanks, Sentinal, for the links. If I can't install 7 on the computer I want to I guess I'll put it back on the other one.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to GRB

I use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to build my install USB keys

»wudt.codeplex.com/

Works like a charm. You can download it from here as well »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···_dwnTool

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Expand your moderator at work

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1
reply to GRB

Re: Has anyone here installed Windows without discs?

I would imagine it would be the exact same thing. The only thing would be finding the download links. I be the same guy has them on his website too.

As long as you have legitimate serial numbers you should be able to find the media you need, be it DVD, CD or download .iso file. Just a word to the wise and download only from direct Microsoft links. Anything other than that would be suspect.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

NM

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA
reply to GRB

This is the way i install Windows

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···a7d49356
--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Works like a charm. You can download it from here as well »www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···_dwnTool

works great and if you're feeling really crafty, you could create an autounattend.xml file that will fully install Windows from top to bottom by simply powering on a system with USB boot enabled (which could also be crazy destructive).