uniqs
share rss forum feed

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

Microsoft Surface - Will it work for my needs?

Hi all, if this isn't in the right place mods please move. The last Surface topic was last October so I thought I'd make a new thread.

I started an MBA program last week and have found that I need a portable device on which I'm able to use Microsoft Office. I know I will definitely need Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I was trying to stay away from buying a full laptop if at all possible; I have a work desktop and two home desktops, so I feel my computing needs are well met.

From those of you that have one - would the Surface meet my needs? I'd need to do most things in Office that I could do from a desktop - develop ppt presentations, excel spreadsheets, research papers, etc. Anybody foresee any problems?

Thanks in advance for your help!
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

The Surface Pro should work just fine for you as long as you get a keyboard with it. You probably want the type cover, not the touch cover since typing is much faster on the former.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to bionicRod
The surface pro is a 10 inch device with a HD display... if you have any vision issues you might want to avoid the pro. You will need to buy Office... it is not included with the pro.

If you are referring to surface RT I have no information as I have only ever played with one on display... but... it does have a rudimentary version of office built in... also with the RT series you can only run TIFKAM apps... standard windows programs will not work. The lower resolution of the RT tablets make the display a bit easier on those with vision issues.

»www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/···-for-you

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 recommendation

reply to bionicRod
If you're just it using for email, the web, and MS Office, the Surface RT is a better value because it comes with Office 2013 Home and Student RT at no extra cost, and it's $400 cheaper than the Pro. Office 2013 is not included with the Surface Pro, so you'll have to pay at least $100 more to get it.

There are some features missing from Office 2013 RT, most users won't notice. To be sure that you won't miss those features, check here:

»office.microsoft.com/en-ca/home-···95.aspx#
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to bionicRod
Thanks guys. I won't be going for the pro; for what that thing costs I could buy a gaming laptop . Glad you brought up the missing features digitalfur. I probably won't notice but it's still a factor when a budget laptop doesn't cost much more. I haven't made up my mind yet and still intend to look around but you all have helped a great deal, I appreciate it.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to bionicRod
There may be some options not yet considered,....

The Acer iconia tab w700 Windows 8 PC tablet series is in the same price range as the Microsoft Surface Pro and offers roughly the same features. However Acer has a lower priced Core i3 version (down from the Core i5) in the ~$759 range:

Acer ICONIA W700-33214G06as 11.6" Tablet PC - Wi-Fi - Intel Core i3 i3-3217U 1.80 GHz - LED Backlight

There are also Atom versions for as low as $479.99:

Acer Iconia Tab W Series W510-1620 Tablet Intel Atom Z2760(1.80GHz) 10.1" 2GB Memory LPDDR2 800 32GB SSD Intel GMA

Another possible option would be an earlier generation model PC tablet.

On Amazon you can find a used:

Samsung Series 7 XE700T1A-A02US 11.6-Inch Slate (128GB, Core i5 Processor 2467M 1.6GHz, Win 7 Home Premium) for ~$650. That's Intel Sandy Bridge based.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to bionicRod
I see a lot of grad students with ipads and it makes me cringe every time. Surface is a much superior option but if i was you and i wanted to save some money i would just buy a chromebook. It'll be perfect for using chrome and taking notes in google docs. When you need to do real work you can use your work or home desktops. Maybe remote desktop in if you need to use real office since excel is trash on gdoc.

Chromebook is 200-250 (i suggest samsung) vs 599 for surface rt with cover. It obviously can't be your main computer but it's pretty nice as a secondary notes taking and browsing box.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.