dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fastguy94416
join:2010-11-04

fastguy94416

[Qwest] Transparent bridging- speed degradation?

Hello-
I've just gotten the CenturyLink/Qwest 40/20 service activated here in MN. I have a SNR margin of >20db up and down with 10db attenuation down, and 14db attenuation up, all while synced at 40200/20175 kbps. My initial speed tests were at approx 25-30Mbps down and 10Mbps up while connected solely via the built-in wireless. I'm slightly disappointing with these speeds, but that is not my primary concern.

My main issue is, having moved over from cable internet, I have my own network set up and I do not care to utilize the NAT and wireless functions of the ZyXel q1000z modem- therefore I want to bridge into my Linksys E2000. However, once I did successfully change into bridging mode, it seems my upload speed has tanked- less than 1Mbps. My download is still not fantastic (~20Mbps) for a 40Mb connection. Any ideas?

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

• Have you tried a hard wire connection to the Linksys?

• If I am reading this correctly, the Linksys was setup for a cable connection. Did you make any changes now that you are on a DSL connection?

• If you have a wireless guest account, disable it.
fastguy94416
join:2010-11-04

fastguy94416

said by Irish Shark:

• Have you tried a hard wire connection to the Linksys?

• If I am reading this correctly, the Linksys was setup for a cable connection. Did you make any changes now that you are on a DSL connection?

• If you have a wireless guest account, disable it.

1: I've not done that- I'll try it. I don't think that would be the issue- the ZyXel modem is a 2.4GHz .11N, while my Linksys is running a two spatial stream 5GHz wireless connection.

2. I set it up to serve the PPPoE credentials, also with an MTU of 1492 (same as the ZyXel).

3. No guest account has ever been active.

I've since allowed the ZyXel to take over the routing duties, and just set my Linksys to run as an access point. I guess I'd rather have the Linksys run as the DHCP server, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

In summary, I'd still like to run bridged, but the performance loss was too great. Even if I don't end up bridging in the end, I'd still like to know why it performs so poorly. Thanks for your reply.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

See if DD-WRT is available for your linksys, i have an old TP-Link that sucked at handling PPoE with the stock firmware, but once i put DD-WRT on it it's been working like a champ ever since.

On CenturyLink, i only have the 20/5 but it still tests at 19/4.5 over WiFi with single digit pings, so i'm happy with that.
khelek6
join:2009-03-27
Rougemont, NC

khelek6 to fastguy94416

to fastguy94416
I just posted on something very similar.

I have a CL 660 series modem that I've had in bridging for some time so I could use IPv6 to get to my machines on my home network. The bandwidth seemed to be there, but I was getting dropped connections all the time and it seemed to be getting worse.

I decided to change the modem back to routing/nat mode and things have gotten so much better! I don't know why, but it sounds like we might have something similar.