spc
Search similar:

uniqs
coakl
join:2003-05-16
Sacramento, CA

coakl

Switching to Sonic.net, a $15 difference in net savings

$73: cheapest AT&T land line with no features or long distance plan, plus 6 Mb DSL, plus taxes and fees.

$58: Sonic fusion land line with boatload of features and unlimited long distance, plus 20 Mb ADSL2+, taxes and fees included.
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf

Sonic.net, XYZ.net etc.......... Are all the COSTCO's and Sams Clubs of the ISP. They buy large chunk of data, and phone lines for a discount from AT&T, and then pass that discount on to you. Just like COSTCO does, you can buy 1 can of dog food at your local store for $2.95, or 12 cans at COSTCO for $18. Yes, these deals are not everywhere, but they are in lots of places. One big problem with them is, tech support. Your DSL goes down you call Sonic.net tech support, they go through the usual steps and then say well we can't help you, you need to call AT&T, since they actually "own" your line. You call AT&T, spend 40 mins with a CSR, with them trying to pull up your account, because you don't have a AT&T account number you have a Sonic.net account. Then you get the blame game back & forth, well we, AT&T, checked our lines and everything is fine call Sonic.net. But I just spoke with Sonic.net. Trust me been there done that, it's a big headache, yes saving money and all, just when it comes time for tech support, keep your fingers crossed for knowledgeable support reps on both sides.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

If they do it correctly your ISP should be calling AT&T, not you! AT&T won't have any information on you because their customer is sonic.net, xyz.net, etc. So if your ISP is telling you to call AT&T, I would turn right around and ask them "Does this mean I give them my monthly $$?" "Perhaps I should call them, thanks for that!!"

Typically they change their tune real quick!