All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to geokilla

to geokilla

Re: [Cable] Unfair $5 Cost for Rogers Speed Change.

said by geokilla:

And how much would it cost Teksavvy to eat that $5? Not a lot, unless as I said, you got people switching packages every month just to troll Teksavvy. Having said that, I will pay that $5 if I have to.

I thought competition was supposed to bring about lower prices and better packages. And please read my restocking fee analogy.

As Marc has already said, the $5 is direct cost from Rogers, so it costs the whole $5 you pay. I'm not sure where you came up with this "doesn't cost them a whole lot" bit.

And again why does TSI have to race to the bottom to match everyone? You said it yourself, this is about competition, not everyone being the same as everyone else. As well, competition does not guarantee lower prices, there's always the value you get what you're paying for. If the dollar amount is all you care about, I'm sure Acanac with their rate limiting should look appealing then.

Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why don't eat the install fee for anyone signing up?). But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges. So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it, give the whole picture.

Also I don't see why you're bringing up re-stocking charges, I worked a successful computer store and dealt with Canada Computers on a daily basis, neither would budge on re-stocking fee hardly ever if nothing was wrong with the return, if it happened it happened rarely and I have first hand knowledge of that. It costs money to sell an open box item, because the next customer will demand a discount. The store shouldn't have to pay for a customers mistakes in buying a item that didn't work out for them. There's Best Buy for that with their huge profit margins on everything but big ticket items like TVs, consoles & computers.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

said by TypeS:

Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why don't eat the install fee for anyone signing up?). But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges. So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it, give the whole picture.

Well for one, they probably don't need Rogers to send a technician over. Teksavvy never sent one over when I switched from Rogers even though there was someone coming. In the end, I don't remember what happened but I got Teksavvy Internet up and running. Plus, promotion to bring in more customers.

Ok let's shift the discussion a bit then. Can't the CRTC decision be appealed to get rid of this $5 fee, and other bogus charges that Robellus are charging the IISPs? I mean, how can MTS cost like $300/100mbps while Cogeco charge... $3000? Or whatever the amounts were. Clearly, something wrong happened. Same for $5 fee about switching packages. Retail customers don't have to pay that, but I'm sure Rogers would love to charge it to their own customers if they can. It's more money in their pockets, and they have to pay for the CSRs that answer the calls.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to TypeS

Premium Member

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

....Sure, Start will eat the install fees from Rogers for switching from pre-existing cable services (honestly that sounds a little fishy though, why [not] eat the install fee for anyone signing up?).

But they don't offer true unlimited service, have lower caps on many tiers than TSI and at the moment have no caps on overage charges.

So if you're going to start comparing TSI and Start, don't nit pick about it - give the whole picture....

It's MY understanding that START is not eating their normal $50 setup fee for cable, rather that the cableco does not levy it to START on a transfer of another active cable Internet service at the same jack, as long as a truck roll is not needed.

I do not have a tariff reference at my fingertips ATM, but there MUST be one.