spc
uniqs

dave49er
join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA

dave49er to nu2this

to nu2this

Re: Favorite OS for Mac?

1. 10.6. I really liked Spaces before they borked it up in 10.7 and 10.8. And this new crap where Apple is always telling me "You can't run this Flash, Java, etc. until you upgrade to an Apple Approved version." I paid $2,500 for my Mac Pro, more than $1,000 in upgrades, and they're micro managing every aspect of what I can do with my damn machine. It's really starting to piss me off, and doesn't bode well for the future of Apple's desktop OS.

2. 10.8. It's better than 10.7. That's really not saying much, though. Another thing that's bugging me is every Apple app wanting to save my stuff "in the Cloud" rather than on my machine.

3. 10.5. My Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM really runs great on it. I miss some of the little touches that they added in 10.6, though.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by dave49er:

1. 10.6. I really liked Spaces before they borked it up in 10.7 and 10.8. And this new crap where Apple is always telling me "You can't run this Flash, Java, etc. until you upgrade to an Apple Approved version." I paid $2,500 for my Mac Pro, more than $1,000 in upgrades, and they're micro managing every aspect of what I can do with my damn machine. It's really starting to piss me off, and doesn't bode well for the future of Apple's desktop OS.

2. 10.8. It's better than 10.7. That's really not saying much, though. Another thing that's bugging me is every Apple app wanting to save my stuff "in the Cloud" rather than on my machine.

3. 10.5. My Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM really runs great on it. I miss some of the little touches that they added in 10.6, though.

If it really bothers you, go to System Prefs -> Security and uncheck 'Automatically update safe download list'

There you go.

But if some nasty Java or Flash bug infects your Mac, don't blame Apple. It'd be your own fault.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

...for having flash and Java installed to begin with?

nu2this
NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this

Premium Member

and you don't have flash and java installed?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I use Chrome's version that is up to date and I trust that sandbox more than any other browser.

No java. No point.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

...for having flash and Java installed to begin with?

No, for bypassing a mechanism that prevents infections.

As I recall, neither are included by default anymore - I believe you have to download both?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Adobe and Oracle are also guilty.

They suck at maintaining their applications.

They could also be pushing updates through the Mac App Store instead of having to play "guess and check".

double guilty

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

99% of windows infections come from the same as well... Java and flash are the bane of all OS's

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Adobe and Oracle are also guilty.

They suck

Could've stopped right there.

dave49er
join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA

dave49er to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
A few weeks ago I was having major problems with my Verizon FIOS. I have 50/25, but I was getting speeds as low as .08/25 for 2-3 weeks. All of the speed tests require either Java or Flash, and I'd run one, then try a little later and it wouldn't run cuz Apple kept blocking them. I had Java 64 bit, so it wouldn't run in Chrome IIRC because it requires 32 bit Java. It was a major pain in the ass. And, of course, download speeds were really slow...
said by dennismurphy:

If it really bothers you, go to System Prefs -> Security and uncheck 'Automatically update safe download list'

Thanks, I was looking for that. They hid it under "Advanced..." Done! And I also allow "Applications downloaded from anywhere."
said by dennismurphy:

But if some nasty Java or Flash bug infects your Mac, don't blame Apple. It'd be your own fault.

Exactly. it would be my responsibility. That's as it should be, and I accept that. I don't need a nanny.