spc
Search similar:

uniqs
uridium
join:2009-01-21

1 recommendation

uridium

Security Update KB2807986

For some reason Security Update KB2807986 is not checked by default and am wondering why an important update such as this is not ticked. Should I install it?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Wasn't for me either. I ticked it.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to uridium

Premium Member

to uridium
It is an important security update so I would go ahead and install it.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· MS13-027

It wasn't selected for me either so I went ahead and selected and installed it with no issues.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

That's odd, because I am sure it was checked on three Win 7 Pro systems that I updated today. Maybe it is some sort of glitch in update that left it unchecked for some users but not others.
uridium
join:2009-01-21

uridium

Okay, thanks folks. I will go ahead and install it.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

That's odd, because I am sure it was checked on three Win 7 Pro systems that I updated today. Maybe it is some sort of glitch in update that left it unchecked for some users but not others.

I had 20 updates in all (Windows, Office 2013) and both this update and IE 10 were not checked. I installed the 18 updates that were checked first, then came back and installed the last 2. All seems good.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

Rebrider to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Wasn't for me either. I ticked it.

+ 1
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to uridium

Premium Member

to uridium
Yep unticked on all three PCs I personally updated today at work.

Usually MS sets certain updates to unticked by default when it may cause some disruption to software and needs to be installed by itself and/or only is important if you specifically know you need it.

The KB notes for the patch says:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2807986
quote:
In certain automated update deployment scenarios (such as from Windows Update or Microsoft Update), this update may not always install. This would also cause other pending updates not to install.
baess
join:2011-01-28

1 recommendation

baess to uridium

to uridium
The term for an important update that is not checked is "throttling". Why it's done is debatable. This quote is from an MS person for a previous "throttled" update.

"Updates are generally throttled when they are (a) major releases that need to be gradually deployed (like a major version upgrade for Internet Explorer), (b) when there are potential quality issues found in the first day or two of release (so we can slow the deployment while we gather data to assess the scope of an issue), or - as in this case - (c) we don't want to hit every Windows consumer PC on the planet at an inopportune time (like during the holidays) - but still give tech-savvy admins the ability to release the update (through WSUS/SMS/SCCM or by checking the box in WUapp)."

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to uridium

Premium Member

to uridium
My Win 7 machine updated this today -
»Re: Microsoft security bulletin for March 12 2013
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to uridium

Premium Member

to uridium
This update was not checked on my three computers either. I checked it and so far all seems fine.

Sincerely, Libra

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
Well, maybe it was not installed with the first run on those computers, because I did have to run update a second time to get the IE10 update and there was one other item that was also installed at that time and I did not check to see whether that was the particular KB mentioned. However, I do believe all items were checked, just that IE10 and one other did not install with the first run. Anyway, as with all other posts, after two runs, everything was updated that could be.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

You could go back to Windows Update and click on "View Update History" to see what update was installed along with IE 10.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I may do that today. There were only 7 updates on those systems, so maybe that would have allowed it to be checked by default. IE10 had to be downloaded in a second run, and I think it was the platform that was installed at that time. It doesn't really matter, I guess, but something to watch for in future updates.

XP7
@in-addr.arpa

XP7 to uridium

Anon

to uridium
I found what this update is all about:
»www.winbeta.org/news/mic ··· b2807986

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I checked and it was KB2807986 that was installed along with the IE10 update. So, it was not installed on the first go-around.
baess

baess to XP7

to XP7
said by XP7 :

Again it begs the question if it is so important why is it not checked?

Another time this happened MS eventually rereleased the throttled update as checked but that was only after some cajoling by users like me. Other times they never changed anything, so in theory users could not be installing this "important" update.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by baess:

said by XP7 :

Again it begs the question if it is so important why is it not checked?

Another time this happened MS eventually rereleased the throttled update as checked but that was only after some cajoling by users like me. Other times they never changed anything, so in theory users could not be installing this "important" update.

Yep we'll have to see what happens. But that very behavior, when an update is never changed to be checked automatically, is one of the reasons why I end up doing patch management manually via RDP on a lot of computers at work.
stevadson
join:2002-06-05
Batesville, AR

stevadson to uridium

to uridium
Perhaps it has something to do with this (from the KB article):

Known issues with this security update

In certain automated update deployment scenarios (such as from Windows Update or Microsoft Update), this update may not always install. This would also cause other pending updates not to install. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

2552343 Time-out error occurs when you install a Windows Update package that contains drivers on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

This issue can occur with any windows update package that contains drivers on systems that do not have the critical non-sec GDR update 2552343 installed.

We recommend that you install update 2552343 before you deploy this security update.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to uridium

Premium Member

to uridium
Mine was offered, and checked. So far, so good.
baess

baess to stevadson

to stevadson
said by stevadson:

Perhaps it has something to do with this (from the KB article):

Known issues with this security update

In certain automated update deployment scenarios (such as from Windows Update or Microsoft Update), this update may not always install. This would also cause other pending updates not to install. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

2552343 Time-out error occurs when you install a Windows Update package that contains drivers on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

This issue can occur with any windows update package that contains drivers on systems that do not have the critical non-sec GDR update 2552343 installed.

We recommend that you install update 2552343 before you deploy this security update.

I thought you might be on to something espcecially when the next poster reported he had KB2807986 checked. I thought maybe I had not installed KB2552343 and therefore WU would not check KB2807986 for installation but I have installed KB2552343 in July 2011 so that's not it.

So now the question is why KB2807986 would be checked for installation on some computers and not others?
baess

baess

Someone is reporting that as of March 22 KB2807986 is now being checked for installation. On both my systems it is still throttled (listed as Important but not checked).

Can anyone who previously had it throttled confirm if they now have it checked?

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by baess:

Someone is reporting that as of March 22 KB2807986 is now being checked for installation. On both my systems it is still throttled (listed as Important but not checked).

Can anyone who previously had it throttled confirm if they now have it checked?

It came up for me yesterday on Win7 SP1, but it was still unchecked and I let it sit.