spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sticks435
join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO

sticks435

Slow speeds when connected to router

Hey guys, I seem to have an issue I can't figure out. Soon after the free speed boost in KC, I started experiencing extremely slow speeds of 2mbp/s or less when streaming sites like youtube or gamespot or trying to download files via web browser. Steam downloads and speedtests would max my connection however.

After chatting with a TWC rep on March 6th, he had me connect directly to the modem and reboot it. My speeds instantly increased. Thinking all was well I connected back to my router after talking to him and did some more streaming to test, and it was fine for about 2-3 streams, then would tank again until I connected it back to the modem, so I have had it connected directly ever since.

The router is a Netgear WNR3500U/WNR3500L that is part of the Sam Knows Broadband measuring program. Thanks for any help!
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

I had a bad experience with that router, it is junk. You went through the trouble shooting and it worked better without the router, so I'd have to say the router is bad. I do not personally suggest buying another Netgear to replace it.

This could also be a modem problem, but that is unlikely. Also could be a bad Ethernet cable, are you using the same Ethernet cable for the router and when plugging directly into the modem? If so then the cable probably isn't bad, but I am thinking of all the possibilities I can think of it being. To be thorough I'm going to ask what model is your modem and what the signals are, which you can find here: »192.168.100.1/ post them here.
sticks435
Kansas City, MO

sticks435

Click for full size
Yea, I thought it was probably the router, the funny thing is that before when I had a 30 down plan, I thought I remember getting pretty decent speeds most of the time, then around the time of the bump it went to crap.

I'm using the same cable from my PC to the router as from PC to modem, and then a jumper cable of course from router to modem.

The modem is a Motorola SBG6580.
Radisc359
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

Your upstream power could be causing it as well, its a bit high, I've seen people having issues at 50dBmV. Recommended is 40-49dBmV

Also I'm a bit jelly, we only have 4 bonded downstream here while you have 8 and last I've heard Extreme was upgraded to 50Mbps in Kansas City and Ultimate 100Mbps.
sticks435
Kansas City, MO

sticks435

Hmm, maybe I will see if they can look into that in the direct forum. The support guy I got seemed kinda worthless, he said something about looking at the network status page and when I informed him it had been down for weeks he said something like "It may be down now, but will show any outages in your area". I just laughed at him and asked another question.

Yep, they did the upgrades shortly after Google wired up the first fiberhood lol. There are rumors we will get 4 up bonded and upload speeds increased once they get all of the nodes done.
Radisc359
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

Sadly they removed that page to save money I bet, and in Nebraska over this last weekend it was nothing but outages. First a Fiber cut on Friday, then a backup system shorted out on Saturday so they cut the power to the headend and Sunday we had a bunch of T3 timeouts and T4 timeouts all day. Then my modem kept rebooting itself and yesterday the backbone stopped working for a bit, so it has been a horrible weekend. But all seems to be stable again. Anyways you can always call TWC and ask for Tier 3 or someone in dpc to check it out for you. See I've never used the direct forums before, I just go straight to the local TWC callcenter.
sticks435
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

sticks435

This is PC hooked to modem

2nd PC hooked to router via Switch.
So check this out. I have my main PC hooked directly to the modem, while I have a second PC hooked to the router via a 5 port 10/100 switch. Note the MASSIVE difference between speeds downloading the same video from »www.gamespot.com/transfo ··· 6387187/ at 720P.

Note that the left one is in Megabits per second, right is in Kilabits per second.
Radisc359
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

Yeah that shows a massive difference in speeds, 43Mbps is not bad for your connection. I've also noticed the internet working better connected directly to the modem vs my WNDR3700V2, but that may be due to splitting the internet between devices, but still I think Netgear sucks and I refuse to use another especially after having a WNR3500L.