rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

3 recommendations

[Pets] Guard cat?

I was visiting my neighbor, Isac the other day. He lives about a quarter mile down the road from me. He has a nice house surrounded by tall pines & scrub oak trees. Nicely secluded. He's a widower, and lives by himself, with three, or four cats. One is a HUGE, solid black old cat.

I have never seen a domestic cat this big! I thought my Yoda was big, at around fifteen LBS. This cat must weigh twenty five LBS, and is solid muscle, no fat!

He said, "that old cat showed up here about five years ago, and just hung around, and found a home here."

We were sitting on his back porch, drinking coffee, and talking about farming, fishing, and weather, when a big dog wandered up to us. He looked well-fed, and well cared for. Good size dog, maybe a collie mix. Someone owned him, obviously. He was wagging his tail displaying a friendly demeanor, and went to Isac. Isac reached out his hand to pet the dog.

Here's where this gets strange!

His old BIG black cat jumps down from his perch, on one of the window A/C units, and fluffs up his hair. Made him appear twice as big as his already big body normally appeared. He walked past me uttering a low growl, almost sounded like a lion, or other "big cat".

I was anticipating a fight to about to happen, when the dog turned toward the cat.

There was no "fight". The cat swiped a paw at the dog, faster than I could perceive! Like....faster than light!! Like, as fast as a rattle snake strike!!

I saw a few flecks of blood fly off the dogs nose, and he literally tucked-tail, and ran wailing back into the woods. We could hear him for a couple of minutes after, as his howling finally diminished.

Isac said "oh yeah, he knows Kung-Fu!! He's very protective of me"

That cat was protecting his "human" from what he thought was a threat!!

I was speechless! I sat there with my mouth hanging open, from what I just witnessed. I have never seen anything like this behavior from a cat! My cats would have ran and hid, at the first sight of a dog that size.

Is this possible? Would a cat be "protective" of it's owner, like a dog would?

Ever see anything like this, from a kitty?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Siamese were raised as guard cats.. they would protect a castle from intruders by jumping on them and using their back claws to scratch. Cats get attached to either a person or a place. I can very well see a guard cat.. they would probably be more vicious then a dog.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi
said by rusdi:

Isac reached out his hand to pet the dog.

That might be the real reason for the attack on the dog (jealousy instead of protectiveness) ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
said by leibold:

said by rusdi:

Isac reached out his hand to pet the dog.

That might be the real reason for the attack on the dog (jealousy instead of protectiveness) ?

That didn't occur to me, but yes that is plausible. Maybe more so than protection instinct.

I'm still re-running this scene in my mind! It was a bit frightening, and amazing at the same time.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi
Never seen anything like that from a kitty. Maybe Isac's cat and the dog met elsewhere previously and had some history...but if so, I wouldn't expect the dog to have approached at all. Baffling for sure.
--
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware. Doug Larson

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi
My son called one of his cats "Killer" because the cat and her sister used to back their lab into a corner and not let the poor thing leave. They weren't protecting anything.. apparently just hated dogs.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

3 recommendations

reply to rusdi
That reminds me of the dog the folks had years ago when I was a kid. The neighbors had a tomcat and one day they met in our front yard. The dog, a cocker spaniel. took off after the cat and they went around the house to the back yard and less than a minute they came back only this time the cat was chasing the dog.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Click for full size
In his youth, Crash thought dogs were just big old chew-toys. He did not dislike them...just liked chewing on their tails and legs as long as they cooperated.

As an older adult cat now, he is not so easy-going around dogs anymore.
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi
When I was in bed, my former cat "Domino" would either be on my bed with me, or laying at the top of the stairs that go to my bedroom still able to see me and the door. If someone knocked at the door he would jump off my bed, if he was there, and run to the stairs with a very deep growl and stair at the door with his fur all fluffed. It was always amusing to me.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

2 recommendations

reply to rusdi
When I was growing up in the Midwest with my two brothers, we had a white cat named Bino (pronounced Beano, but a shortened version of Albino, at least that was the inspiration for the name.)

She was the most wonderful little mama cat I've ever known. She had three litters of kittens, each time having three kittens, one for each of us. She kept herself immaculate while also bathing lazy baby boys well into adulthood and at least twice as big as she was. Bottom line: She loved and cared for her family over and beyond.

I didn't witness this. My mother did, but I have the image etched in my memory bank. Apparently a big ole' hound dog managed to get into our fenced back yard when Bino had her babies out for a romp. Too close for the mama's comfort, so she tore after that big dog, leaped and landed on his back, claws dug in.

Mom said Bino returned awhile later looking no worse for wear, but that hound dog tore off as fast as he could go with Bino firmly attached. Poor pup was howling at the top of his lungs until he disappeared out of earshot. As far as we could determine, he didn't visit our yard again!

She wasn't protecting her people, but I'd say she was definitely protecting her babies.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to rusdi
Oh so many years ago, when I still had good looks (so I'm told) and was a teenager, I had a steady GF for a time who had a Siamese male cat. Every time I went over to her house, that cat would leap and jump on me and dig its claws in - JEALOUS! It took a few months for the cat to accept me, and it was no more than a tentative truce of a sort. But then, well, as teenage relationships go, so went the GF, and the cat...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: [Pets] Guard cat?

When I started dating the newly single Ms usa2k, the youngest daughter, Cassandra put Tigger in my lap, and he slept there for several hours while I visited and watched TV.

Cassandra was almost 5 yrs old back then. Grandkids 3 & 4 are Cassandra's now, and Kayleigh turned 2 last December.

Tigger was no guard cat. He was pretty much a POW doing whatever Cassandra wanted. Often relaxing under a laundry basket she put over him. Or being dressed-up
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247