how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bellhelp

join:2008-12-27
Mitchell, ON

[Internet] Bell Internet Plans

Question about "new" plans from Bell for internet. I am on old performance plan - 6 mbps down with 25 GB usage limit.

I would like to have a higher usage limit.

I cannot access the higher download speeds (and therefore higher download limits) in the new plans because I live in a small town in rural Ontario. My only option is to go down to the 5 mbps speed plan with a 70 GB download limit. Or pay an extra $10 dollars for the unlimited plan on my performance plan.

I am not willing to pay $61.95 plus tax for a 6 mbps plan.

I like the price of the Bell Internet 5 plus plan, with the 70 gb usage. However, I am worried about the lower speed for watching Netflix HD. Right now I am watching it no problem. Will the 1 mbps difference affect my Netflix quality?

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1

1 edit

»support.netflix.com/en/node/306

Should be fine.

I'd go with the $10 unlimited option if you have home phone and satellite with Bell as well.

qzcgd

join:2013-03-13
canada
reply to bellhelp

Go with Bell Internet 5 (wouldn't know about Ontario, but should be within 29.95-39.95) and add 10$ for unlimited usage.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to bellhelp

I used to get about 4mbps back when I was with Teksavvy DSL and I never had any issues with Netflix (even having it on and using other network devices)

bellhelp

join:2008-12-27
Mitchell, ON
reply to bellhelp

Or would it better for me to switch to local cable provider. They have plans up 50 mbps, not that I want that. When I attempted to cancel with bell to sign up with cable the representative "scared" me saying just because cable says that speed doesn't mean I am going to get it due to shared line. I like my rock solid dsl with bell just not the option of higher speeds at reasonable price.

I know there are bell haters and cable haters. Just looking for honest opinion. I already appreciate the responses on Netflix speeds. I came across that Netflix link about recommended speeds and wondered if a 5 mbps as they recommend for hd will be achieved under bell's new plan of 5 mbps due to the loss factor. Right now I am on 6 mbps plan and consistently getting 5.7 mbps

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to bellhelp

Maybe you should scare them off and tell then you'll leave if they don't give you a better deal... Or else I would get DSL or cable with another provider.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bellhelp

I get my full 28/1 Mbps 24/7 on my cable connection through TekSavvy which uses Rogers' coax lines into my home. Although in theory what the Bell rep told you is true, the line shared with a certain number of homes on whats called a "node"; in reality there's enough bandwidth on the shared line that congestion is not common.

If you're interested in cable, you're best bet is to go to neighbour's or friends home, ask if you can go over in the evening between 6pm and 12am to see what performance they get. Do a speedtest and Netflix stream. That'll tell you what kind of performance you will get.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
reply to bellhelp

Are you sure the higher DSL FTTN speeds aren't available to you? Things constantly change. Check with your phone number at the Bell website.

For Bell Internet 5 Plus (70GB usage), the ongoing price is $48.95/month, or a little less if you are in a Bell Bundle.

Bell unlimited is $10/month more, IF you have a certain combination of 3 Bell services; otherwise it is $30/month more.

Really, you should consider an Independant ISP. I would recommend Start, or Electronic Box for DSL. Both offer 5M/6M DSL plans with 100GB usage, around the $30 mark. And they include several hours of 'off-the-meter' downloads, or 'unlimited downloads' during those hours that do not count against your usage cap.
»start.ca/services/highspeed
»www.electronicbox.net/en/ontario···dsl.html

Start.ca can probably also provide cable service for you, to get you some faster speeds.

If you're happy with Bell, as Kovy suggested, tell them you're leaving to go with an IISP, and see what they will do. Just be aware of their REAL monthly costs.

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to bellhelp

Teksavvy DSL price for 6/0.8 are:

75 Gigs - $26.99
300 Gigs - $32.99
Unlimited - $39.99

So if Bell can do better than that I would switch to them or any other IISP.

You will gain better customer service too.
--
Connection: ElectronicBox 60mbps / 3mbps
Bilingual DSLR ElectronicBox Forum: »ELECTRONICBOX

Seb851
Future Shop Staff

join:2010-07-12
Sainte-Marthe-Sur-Le-Lac, QC

said by vitesse:

Teksavvy DSL price for 6/0.8 are:

75 Gigs - $26.99
300 Gigs - $32.99
Unlimited - $39.99

So if Bell can do better than that I would switch to them or any other IISP.

You will gain better customer service too.

Hey part pas un guerre ....

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron

1 edit
reply to bellhelp

First the topic is in english, so it would be great from your part to reply in english.

I only give the price it could pay with a competitor using Bell last mile.

If you took it personally or thing I'm in war with someone, you have a serious problem. Nowhere in my message I said that Bell had crappy service or something negative, so get a life.

--
Connection: ElectronicBox 60mbps / 3mbps
Bilingual DSLR ElectronicBox Forum: »ELECTRONICBOX