MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to LanAdmin

MVM

to LanAdmin

Re: [Cable] NEW RATES - Vidéotron

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac cable Internet access on Vidéotron currently has plenty of capacity.

Acanac is no more different than any IISP. If the capacity is not enough at peak you will get some slowdown and they will order more capacity.

The whole point of Acanac's lower prices is that they will use throttling to delay having to buy additional capacity. CBB capacity uses peak-billing, so if they can lower the peak usage by throttling, it reduces their costs, enabling lower pricing. It will give them a flatter usage curve, enabling higher utilization of the link.

Their entire pricing structure depends on that throttling, so anybody assuming they're never going to do it isn't thinking straight.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

I wouldn't even consider acanac, too many negative reports here. Ebox on the other hand is considering adding a 2:am to 2:pm 'happy hours' to their cable packages....which would clearly place them in the lead in terms of attractive cable internet packages.(at least in videotron land-I know nothing about rogers)
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

julienvf to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by LanAdmin:

Acanac is no more different than any IISP. If the capacity is not enough at peak you will get some slowdown and they will order more capacity.

The whole point of Acanac's lower prices is that they will use throttling to delay having to buy additional capacity. CBB capacity uses peak-billing, so if they can lower the peak usage by throttling, it reduces their costs, enabling lower pricing. It will give them a flatter usage curve, enabling higher utilization of the link.

Their entire pricing structure depends on that throttling, so anybody assuming they're never going to do it isn't thinking straight.

On cable, they just can't. It's technically impossible to do throttling like they do with dsl customers based on dsl login. I have been with them since september and I have seen 1-2 times max slow downs, the worst was a rainy Sunday afternoon in November where I had 22mbps on a 30mbps cable connexion. If this is what you call throttling...
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by julienvf:

said by Guspaz:

said by LanAdmin:

On cable, they just can't. It's technically impossible to do throttling like they do with dsl customers based on dsl login. I have been with them since september and I have seen 1-2 times max slow downs, the worst was a rainy Sunday afternoon in November where I had 22mbps on a 30mbps cable connexion. If this is what you call throttling...

What do you mean, they can control speed other then login...