spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2012-06-11

Yet another price increase! From 47.99 to 52.99! Thieves!

Just had my service (15/3) price increase from the supposed promo price of 24.99....then last month to 47.99, now to 52.99 for next month!

CEO Tom Rutledge is a thief disguised in a business suit.

I'm gunna have fun raking Charter over the coals around the internet.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

Yet you keep paying it... what lesson are you teaching Charter? That they can raise prices on customers and they will just take it like you have? Good lesson.

Raking them over the coals on the net is pretty pointless. They respond more to their own internal reports of subscription numbers than a few moaners on the net. You keep saying (3 months now?) you're going to DSL because they offer the price point you want for speed that is still acceptable to you.

What good is competition if you don't use it? What good are threats if you don't follow through?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

Premium

I stated that I would hold on for ONE more month to see if the
CSR rumored reintroduction of the 15/3 plan would happen during sometime during this month. If it doesn't I'm cancelling.

How it is "pointless" to rake Charter over the coals concerning their lack of choice in service levels, price, value, and customer service? Sounds like Charter is "rattled" if you ask me. They care about numbers BUT they still have to care about bad press too. Customers or potential customers care about more than numbers, they do base their purchases on other's experiences. They darn well know that.

The fact is that I don't want MORE speed and cannot afford that price. It is not a matter of wanting "something for NOTHING".

In a month I will be with ATT at $30/mo on the 768/128 plan that my parents have. It isn't fast, but I have used it and it is very adequate for my needs.

Premium

1 edit

@cork1958:

My plan is STILL the 15/3 plan I just tested it with Charter speed test and speedtest.net, I am still at about 15/3 average.

I have changed NOTHING at all.

CharterSlave

@charter.com
reply to DrDrew

When Charter has a monopoly (like they do where I live), what else are you supposed to do?

We used to have competition but years ago corrupt politicians in our area allowed Charter to take over that competition and become a monopoly.

Premium

Well we have a DUopoly here, so we have at least ATT. They still offer basic DSL 768/128 at on a promo of 14.95/ mo for 6 mos and then the regular, everyday price is 30$/mo .

Of course I am NOT interested in ATT ScrewVerse (over priced DSL ) LOL

Premium
reply to 15444104

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 15444104

Ya know what complaining on the Internet is going to get you? Nothing. Anyone looking online already knows what Charter is all about. If you think Charter cares about the "bad publicity" you are mistaken. The only thing Tommy Boy is going to care about is the bottom line. He will not even care if people cancel their service because they will simply add a few dollars to everyone's bill to make up for it. Face it, Charter is what it is, and quite frankly every other provider for that mater, could give a rats a## if we cancel or stay.

Premium

@jp16:

That is exactly what they want you to think.

I will also be contacting the FCC and the local franchising authority about this issue as well.

haggelz

join:2010-07-04
Glendale, CA

said by 15444104:

@jp16:

Why would they care when they have no competition? U-verse will never be competitive technology wise. DOCSIS technology is future proof right now im comparison to VDSL. They know their market position and their are taking advantage of that. Simple economics.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to 15444104

As you all know I also looked into DSL as an option and actually had Centurylink come out and hook me up two weeks ago. They promised me that I would have 12 Mbps at my house as advertised. Well I figured it would be smart idea to keep Charter just in case that didn't come true. Well the day of installation came and I soon found out that Centurylink who supplies DSL services was not true to their word. The best I could get was 3 Mbps download in my neighborhood. Needless to say I canceled them the next day under the 30 day guarantee. Unfortunately I am stuck with Charter and living with the awful $54.99 price for 30/4. They are the only option for fast speeds as I can't stream video and maintain my personal weather website with speeds lower than 3 Mbps. They have us all stuck between a rock and hard place.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

I could have told you that with dsl. The farther you are away from the central office. The less speed you are going to get. And just like in your case. Not even close to advertised speeds. To bad it did not work out for ya. Charter has you by the balls and continue to squeeze harder. I continue to be in the same boat.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

Yeah it really does suck. I am actually not very far from the central office, but I guess they just base the estimated speeds off of a pretty crappy grid based system. The folks in the ordering department don't really have a clue, which I should have known as you said earlier. The good thing is I wasn't out anything as the installation was free and I was able to return the modem they sent to me via mail. Bottom line is for us folks in a bad market we are stuck with Charter and all of their wonderful ways of doing business. The nightly slow downs are also added bonus to have to cope with.

Premium

I'm thankful that I have a budget to keep because it forces me to refuse Charter's unyielding take it or leave it attitude and the now lack of any genuine interest in providing good customer service.

The arrogance of their new CEO is clearly trickling down to all levels of the management.

I don't like ATT either, but at least they still provide a more value oriented product.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to haggelz

said by haggelz:

said by 15444104:

@jp16:

Why would they care when they have no competition? U-verse will never be competitive technology wise. DOCSIS technology is future proof right now im comparison to VDSL. They know their market position and their are taking advantage of that. Simple economics.

Exactly my point. My only other option is Verizon DSL. When I had it it was ok but it does not hold a candle to Charter. Charter knows they have no competition in the area thus they can charge what they want. Do I like the increases? No. But the relaity is I have no real choice in the matter. Other than go without.

Premium

You have a choice but you will need to live with lower speeds with Verizon DSL. If enough people would be willing to do so prices WOULD come down. The stick is better than the carrot with these arrogant companies.

I will say that if I had NO option at less than 50$/mo I would cancel ALL services and go without. There is always the library and work where I can use the internet.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

I agree with you that the pricing schemes that Charter now offers are pathetic at best. Some of us though just can't live with download speeds ranging from 1 Mbps to 3 Mbps. I for one have a very difficult time streaming anything consistently without buffering at speeds anything less than 2 Mbps. Netflix does not like it at all and HD movies will barely load and quality is sub-par. I have tried moving back to DSL twice now and have decided that it is an antiquated service at best. The price for Centurylink 3/1 plan after 12 months is still $48 a month. Not a huge savings in terms of cost.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

In other words, you actually and physically CAN'T live without tv/Netflix?

Nothing personal, but that is very sad.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1

said by cork1958:

In other words, you actually and physically CAN'T live without tv/Netflix?

Nothing personal, but that is very sad.

I'm pretty sure that's the textbook definition of a personal comment!

Let's keep it in perspective. People use a lot of hyperbole when expressing frustration, particularly with paid services. I don't think it advances anything by pointing it out.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

1 edit
reply to cork1958

Cork1958,

If you look back on my previous posts I also explain that I run a small website that feeds data from the National Weather Service and my own personal weather station. My comments were directed at the niche that Charter provides in our market, with faster uploads and download speeds. DSL just doesn't work for me as I have learned through past experience. I actually canceled my TV service with Charter last month. So yes I can live without TV, I just need the internet to provide other services.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

.... I tought it was against the TOS to run personal servers ......

Ryan818

Medford, OR

1 edit

Nowhere in my last statement did I state that I have a server. I said I have a website that I occasionally upload data to. I have a host who provides the bandwidth needed to run the website, so it is not operating on a server in my house on Charter's network. Thanks for doing a great job at trying to read into things though.

Premium

He's just trying to deflect the topic away from its original focus.

That Charter is pick pocketing it's customers wallets and the new management is behind that move.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Ryan818

said by Ryan818:

Cork1958,

If you look back on my previous posts I also explain that I run a small website that feeds data from the National Weather Service and my own personal weather station. My comments were directed at the niche that Charter provides in our market, with faster uploads and download speeds. DSL just doesn't work for me as I have learned through past experience. I actually canceled my TV service with Charter last month. So yes I can live without TV, I just need the internet to provide other services.

Yep,
I have a couple websites that runs a couple personal weather stations and was able to do that quite easily when I was on Frontiers 7.1/768 DSL a couple years ago. Those don't take squat for bandwidth!

Regardless of that, I DO know where you're coming from though.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Dunke
Premium
join:2000-09-30
Medford, OR
reply to 15444104

Charter just quoted me a price of $57.99 a month for standard internet. My 2 yr is up April 11th. Currently have triple play and they want $170 month for the triple now, without any premium channels. Going to check into the ATT home wireless for phone and drop cable to bare minimum.

I really can't see how it's legal to charge so many people different prices in the same area. Have checked with other friends in Medford area and they all have different pricing.

Premium

Done with Charter!

Just called to check one last time on whether or not Charter was going to reintroduce the 15/3 tier I have been grandfathered on . The answer appears to be NO.

Also get this. My bill for my 15/3 service went from the supposed promo price of 24.99 to 47.99/mo. This month I get a new bill that says the price is now 52.99/mo!

No advance notice of why this change occurred on last months bill or this months bill either. I call cust service and ask for an explantion. The CSR sheepishly tells me that this was a "new" fee that manglement decided to charge when an account is NOT bundled. I asked why there was no advance notice of this change. She apologized but could not give a decent answer.

Immediately she started talking about getting more "value for my money" if I bundled at which point I politely asked her to stop as I have been asked that hundreds of times in the last year and it was obvious I did NOT want to spend MORE money on products I didn't use or need.

I made sure to mention that I have been pleased with the way the front line CSRs handle themselves and only had an issue with the new CRAPPY CEO Tom Rutledge and his posse of executive manglement that seem totally UNinterested in customer needs and wants instead they only care about squeezing the last red cent from us.

Service is cancelled next week.

Mr. Rutledge, I will NOT be paying for the daily helicopter rides between your office in Stamford, CT and your Mc Mansion half an hour away.

For those who don't know Stamford is one of the most wealthy towns in the Northeast. Very exclusive communities surround it too.

Unfortunately most of Charter's customers don't live in posh places like that.

Off to ATT basic DSL at 30/mo after the 6 month promo period.
It's not very fast but my parents have the service and it is dead reliable, and perfectly adequate for my needs and most important I can afford to pay the price.

dsl14350

join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

1 edit

horseathalt7

I thought you were DONE with Charter, why are you still talking about your connection with them in the Charter Forum??

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

you're a little late replying, That post was on 3/22/13.

said by dsl14350:

horseathalt7 I thought you were DONE with Charter, why are you still talking about your connection with them in the Charter Forum??

dsl14350

join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 edit

1 recommendation

horseathalt7 has been posting in other threads about charter, I used this one because of his posting saying he is canceling and going with att dsl.

I listened to his rants for too long to let this go unanswered!

"Service is cancelled next week.

Mr. Rutledge, I will NOT be paying for the daily helicopter rides between your office in Stamford, CT and your Mc Mansion half an hour away.

Off to ATT basic DSL at 30/mo after the 6 month promo period.
It's not very fast but my parents have the service and it is dead reliable, and perfectly adequate for my needs and most important I can afford to pay the price."

Premium

I'm still here.

I finally called to cancel my service (had every intention of doing so) I expected the CSR to say goodbye and cancel my service. She asked why I was cancelling and I explained that I could not pay the 53 /mo they were asking and not only that but I have no need for 30 meg service when 3 or so would do just fine for me.

She asked me how much I would be willing to pay. I explained that 35 bucks was the most I wanted to spend. She said that they are willing to offer me 40/mo but that was the lowest they could go.

So as of now I am paying 40/mo for the next year. I still think that is too high but at least they were willing to make some compromise instead of telling me to pound sand which is what we have all been told to expect lately.

If the price goes to the 53/mo after 12mo and they still haven't arranged for a lower speed tier at less cost. I am definitely done.