uniqs
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Ryan818

Premium Member

to Ryan818

Re: Yet another price increase! From 47.99 to 52.99! Thieves!

.... I tought it was against the TOS to run personal servers ......
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

1 edit

Ryan818

Nowhere in my last statement did I state that I have a server. I said I have a website that I occasionally upload data to. I have a host who provides the bandwidth needed to run the website, so it is not operating on a server in my house on Charter's network. Thanks for doing a great job at trying to read into things though.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

He's just trying to deflect the topic away from its original focus.

That Charter is pick pocketing it's customers wallets and the new management is behind that move.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to Ryan818

Premium Member

to Ryan818
said by Ryan818:

Cork1958,

If you look back on my previous posts I also explain that I run a small website that feeds data from the National Weather Service and my own personal weather station. My comments were directed at the niche that Charter provides in our market, with faster uploads and download speeds. DSL just doesn't work for me as I have learned through past experience. I actually canceled my TV service with Charter last month. So yes I can live without TV, I just need the internet to provide other services.

Yep,
I have a couple websites that runs a couple personal weather stations and was able to do that quite easily when I was on Frontiers 7.1/768 DSL a couple years ago. Those don't take squat for bandwidth!

Regardless of that, I DO know where you're coming from though.

Dunke
Premium Member
join:2000-09-30
Medford, OR

Dunke to 15444104

Premium Member

to 15444104
Charter just quoted me a price of $57.99 a month for standard internet. My 2 yr is up April 11th. Currently have triple play and they want $170 month for the triple now, without any premium channels. Going to check into the ATT home wireless for phone and drop cable to bare minimum.

I really can't see how it's legal to charge so many people different prices in the same area. Have checked with other friends in Medford area and they all have different pricing.
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

Done with Charter!

Just called to check one last time on whether or not Charter was going to reintroduce the 15/3 tier I have been grandfathered on . The answer appears to be NO.

Also get this. My bill for my 15/3 service went from the supposed promo price of 24.99 to 47.99/mo. This month I get a new bill that says the price is now 52.99/mo!

No advance notice of why this change occurred on last months bill or this months bill either. I call cust service and ask for an explantion. The CSR sheepishly tells me that this was a "new" fee that manglement decided to charge when an account is NOT bundled. I asked why there was no advance notice of this change. She apologized but could not give a decent answer.

Immediately she started talking about getting more "value for my money" if I bundled at which point I politely asked her to stop as I have been asked that hundreds of times in the last year and it was obvious I did NOT want to spend MORE money on products I didn't use or need.

I made sure to mention that I have been pleased with the way the front line CSRs handle themselves and only had an issue with the new CRAPPY CEO Tom Rutledge and his posse of executive manglement that seem totally UNinterested in customer needs and wants instead they only care about squeezing the last red cent from us.

Service is cancelled next week.

Mr. Rutledge, I will NOT be paying for the daily helicopter rides between your office in Stamford, CT and your Mc Mansion half an hour away.

For those who don't know Stamford is one of the most wealthy towns in the Northeast. Very exclusive communities surround it too.

Unfortunately most of Charter's customers don't live in posh places like that.

Off to ATT basic DSL at 30/mo after the 6 month promo period.
It's not very fast but my parents have the service and it is dead reliable, and perfectly adequate for my needs and most important I can afford to pay the price.

dsl14350
join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

1 edit

dsl14350

horseathalt7

I thought you were DONE with Charter, why are you still talking about your connection with them in the Charter Forum??

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

you're a little late replying, That post was on 3/22/13.
said by dsl14350:

horseathalt7 I thought you were DONE with Charter, why are you still talking about your connection with them in the Charter Forum??

dsl14350
join:2005-06-16
Holland, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

dsl14350

horseathalt7 has been posting in other threads about charter, I used this one because of his posting saying he is canceling and going with att dsl.

I listened to his rants for too long to let this go unanswered!

"Service is cancelled next week.

Mr. Rutledge, I will NOT be paying for the daily helicopter rides between your office in Stamford, CT and your Mc Mansion half an hour away.

Off to ATT basic DSL at 30/mo after the 6 month promo period.
It's not very fast but my parents have the service and it is dead reliable, and perfectly adequate for my needs and most important I can afford to pay the price."
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned)

I'm still here.

I finally called to cancel my service (had every intention of doing so) I expected the CSR to say goodbye and cancel my service. She asked why I was cancelling and I explained that I could not pay the 53 /mo they were asking and not only that but I have no need for 30 meg service when 3 or so would do just fine for me.

She asked me how much I would be willing to pay. I explained that 35 bucks was the most I wanted to spend. She said that they are willing to offer me 40/mo but that was the lowest they could go.

So as of now I am paying 40/mo for the next year. I still think that is too high but at least they were willing to make some compromise instead of telling me to pound sand which is what we have all been told to expect lately.

If the price goes to the 53/mo after 12mo and they still haven't arranged for a lower speed tier at less cost. I am definitely done.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Hmm?

I may have to call and threaten them also as I have always said $40 was the most the internet was worth to me, given even a half a** choice!
kbuffman1
join:2002-04-03
Auburn, MI

1 recommendation

kbuffman1 to 15444104

to 15444104

This was posted a couple of days ago on another site.

Charter Internet for $39.99 current subscribers who's 1 year $29.99 deal ran out YMMV

I just looked at my recent Charter Internet bill and it was $62 just for the internet.
So I hopped on Charter Chat and was able to bring the bill down to $39.99 a month,
no modem fee, upgrade from 15 to 30 Mbps (althougth I think it was already 30)
and free online Epix. It's worth a shot. Give it a try. Here is chat log:

Customer ChatChat TranscriptYou have been connected to Andrew C.Andrew C: Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you today! My name is Andrew and I'll be taking care of you.

Andrew C: How can I help you today?

Joe : 824xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe: that is my account #...I am currently paying..

Joe: over $60 a month for just the internet....can I get that 19.99 a month special..?

Andrew C: We can certainly review your account, however there is no such $19.99 deal for internet.

Andrew C: Thank you, Let me pull that up to see how we can best help you today.

Andrew C: So that I may discuss your account and for security purposes, may I please verify the four digits of your Charter Security Code (Left hand side just above your address) or your Customer Created PIN number?

Joe Sumner: xxxx

Andrew C: Thank you for validating your Security Code, One moment while I review your current account.

Andrew C: I show you are currently receiving old plan pricing standard rate for 15 Mbps internet $52.99 + $7 modem lease = $59.99. comes with 2 free features.

Andrew C: Joe, As we review your account, how is your current service working for you?

Joe: fine...a few hiccups here and there....

Andrew C: I'm glad to hear overall it is working well for you. I do show we can switch you to our new plan pricing and service for 30 Mbps internet. It would be 30 Mbps internet (Double your current speed), modem included (no more lease fee) at $54.99 a month. This would also gain you FREE EPIX movies online as well. Take a moment to review this, I do have one other option as well.

Joe: what is the other option...

Andrew C: Joe, I would like to let you in on an exclusive offer that just started only available for current customers who upgrade. I can provide you with $29.99 per service with bundling. That is our TV Select (Minimum), 30 Mbps internet, modem included , Unlimited phone and with the 3 service plan FREE Wire maintenance plan (Normally $4.99 a month). This limited promotion $89.97 + $5.99 box lease per TV is amazing on it's own, however it also comes with FREE upgrade for 1 year of DVR service (Normally $19.99 a month, valued at over $230 savings). May I ask what you are currently doing for TV service?

Joe: I am in a 2 year agreement with Dishnetwork.... what can I get for a lower price

Joe: for the internet only...

Joe: the current speed is fine

Andrew C: The current internet only would be either your $59.99 for 15 Mbps or $54.99 for 30 Mbps. We would need to swap out the current 2.0 modem lease for the new 3.0 no lease fee equipment. Either tech out $29.99 install or FREE swap at the local office. Shall we switch you to the new plan, lower rate, faster speed and more feature? (If so , would you like a tech out or self install swap?).

Joe: this is still more then I would like to pay...I am paying 29.99 a month on my other

Joe: charter internet account...

Joe: can you do this for me...

Andrew C: I do see that your concerns about pricing are justified. I can certainly understand how it seems unfair that lower prices are only offered to new and upgrading customers. Promotional pricing is Charter's way of letting customers who have never used a particular service try it out at a lower, promotional rate. This way, they can experience the true value of that service before paying the standard price. Once the promotional period expires, Charter hopes that the customer will retain the service at the standard pricing, having been able to sample it and gauge its worth.

Andrew C: Joe, while you would not qualify for the first year pricing at $29.99. What I can do as a one time courtesy is offer you $39.99 discounted rate for 30 Mbps for 12 months, after would go to full standard rate $54.99. We would need to either send a tech out or self install pickup swap.

Andrew C: Which would you prefer?

Joe: I guess I can go with the $39.99 rate ... I can just pick it up myself and swap it out...

Andrew C: Great, let me get that limited offer setup for you.

Joe: Now will this include the no modem lease fee as well as the online

Joe: epix..?

Andrew C: Bear with me a quick second while I get some information for you on that.

Andrew C: Yes, it will include the no modem lease, and you will go to the local office and swap the modem for the new modem.

Joe: ok...what should I tell them at the local office...?

Andrew C: Charter is happy to Introduce Epix, a great channel with a wide variety of movies in all genres! The movies hardly ever repeat. I'm positive you'll find something you enjoy! It was created by Viacom, Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate. You can watch from anywhere you can get a connection, they show the same content online as they show on air, and you can invite friends to a "Private Screening Room" online complete with chat so you can talk at the same time to watch with movies you even if they aren't Epix subscribers. You can even watch on your phone if it supports flash with more support coming for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry soon.

Andrew C: Great! If you give me just a few moments, I will go ahead and set this all up for you. While you are waiting, feel free to check out our new rewards program, Live it with Charter! Free to all Charter subscribers, members earn points for every dollar spent on all Charter products and services. Points can be redeemed for cool prizes and free sweepstakes entries! To get started please visit www.liveitwithcharter.com

Andrew C: Just take your current modem to the local office and they will go ahead and swap out the modem for you, do you need the address to the closest office?

Joe: sure...what is the addy..?

Andrew C: Monday 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Tuesday 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Wednesday 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Thursday 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Friday 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Saturday 9:00AM - 5:00PM
1201 McCann Drive, Altoona, WI 54720

Andrew C: I, on behalf of Charter, congratulate and thank you considerably for your order (As well as for your time and patience)!

Andrew C: Certainly, Thank you for contacting and choosing Charter Communications. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to 15444104

to 15444104
I had to laugh at the rep's mention of offering you EPIX as some special incentive.

EPIX has been available for a while, and the three years i've had charter....the rep acted like it was something new they just started offering.

glad they got you at least a little price cut. I see in the chat where they started to lower the price by bundling, I hate when they do that, guess its in their "script".
Expand your moderator at work
15444104 (banned)

15444104 (banned) to compuguybna

to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

glad they got you at least a little price cut. I see in the chat where they started to lower the price by bundling, I hate when they do that, guess its in their "script".

The retention rep I spoke to did the same song and dance and I immediately but politely stopped her in her tracks. I told her that Charter had been bothering me with this bundling nonsense about a millions times a year! LOL I told her that I understood that this was part of the new executive plan but I had NO interest, at all. Only watch limited TV OTA with PBS being the most often viewed. Things like PBS World, Frontline and Nova, ect.

I also made sure once again (just like they kept bothering me with the bundling nonsense) that I did NOT WANT OR NEED 30 mb service and that 1.5-3 was PLENTY enough for my uses. I asked that she make sure that product planning was informed of my needs as I am sure I am not alone that many folks have told them that far slower speeds were enough which would lower the price as well.
SwitchFX
join:2007-09-15
La Canada Flintridge, CA

SwitchFX to 15444104

to 15444104
If there's one thing Charter's good at it's keeping customer or so I think for my area at least. In the past I've seriously considered swapped providers but they've always managed to give me a solid 18 month to 2 year deals that are locked in.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to 15444104

to 15444104
My 2 year contract is running out in May and I called a while ago to cancel services then... they offered me the same $39.99 for 30mbps internet with Epix for 12 months...

I mean for $40 a month I can justify and feel it's ok... when it turns to $54.99 I'll either get on another promotion or I'll cancel it and find something else...