share rss forum feed

iam me
Cunnilingus Is Next To Godliness
Premium
join:2001-08-05
evolve

How do I use make to install driver?

Hi all,

I have a fresh install of Mageia from their live cd. All was more or less well until I went to update the system. I mean my sound wasn't working but, I felt that updating would come first anyway. . .

Well after the update I lost my wifi connection and can't get online otherwise. It seems that Broadcom won't let the *nix community have their drivers but, they do provide them.

So I used another computer to find the proper driver to fix the issue. It turns out I'll need to use make to get this into the kernel, and I've been away from this for too long.

So I dl the gz and drop the contents into a folder. . I have a lib folder, a scr. folder and a Makefile file. . . So what do I do now?

I remember something about kernel headers and compiling the kernel. . . It would be awesome not to have to spend the next two days reading man pages. . ;D

Thanks
--
»serlacausa.org »www.veteransforpeace.org/

iam me
Cunnilingus Is Next To Godliness
Premium
join:2001-08-05
evolve
Ok. . . well it seems that by installing the live cd version I didn't get make even after I updated with the package manager. . . Apparently make is a developmental tool and isn't included with this kind of installation. . .

So I'm on my wife's box downloading the full version just to geterdun.

I really liked the slimmed down live version otherwise. . . I sure hope the full version isn't bloated. . .
--
»serlacausa.org »www.veteransforpeace.org/

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to iam me
I think most Linux distros do not come with make, and other development tools, installed by default.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
said by Maxo:

I think most Linux distros do not come with make, and other development tools, installed by default.

Yes. They used to all do it, but over the past few years have stopped in order to squeeze more things into a CD-sized image.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

mich

join:2008-08-30
reply to iam me
Should have gone with Gentoo.

I never heard about Mageia, but don't they have some prebuilt package with this driver?

shray
Premium
join:2002-09-05
Edison, NJ
reply to iam me
tell us the details, my precious
--
nutballs