spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wim

join:2013-03-12

W7 Upgrader Advisor says chipset driver won't be compatible?

I ran the Windows 7 Advisor and it told me that the driver installed with my chipset (which is an Intel 915GV) is not compatible with Windows 7. I'm not that well versed in these things. Can a different driver simply be downloaded and everything will be fine? Or do I have to buy a different chipset altogether?

It also said that I should have at least 1GB of RAM for "optimal performance" and I only have 519 MB. Is this going to cause a lot of problems?

EDIT: In case it helps at all, my computer is an HP Pavillion a1020n. The specs can be found here: »h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu···t=459880

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

You don't buy chipsets -those are installed on the motherboard of the PC. The specs says you have 512 megs of ram and some of that will be used by the video card.

With a P4 and limited ram - you probably are not going to really like the performance of Win 7.

Only chance to see about if HP has chipset drivers follow these instructions:

»h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu···t_search
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

damn
Premium
join:2002-10-23
nyc
reply to Wim

Save the money and buy a new computer. Your PC is 8 years old. It's like driving an 80-year old car.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Wim

I agree with Damm

You can get a new PC for about $300 to $400 that will come with windows OS. It will be much better then what you would have if upgrading your old PC with memory and windows OS which could cost about $200 or more.
»www.google.com/search?q=cheap+de···irefox-a

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Wim

the ram upgrade alone makes getting a new motherboard/cpu a value... that 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM is rare these days and carries a premium price.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Wim

These guys are right. You need a new computer. I've got an i915 motherboard. It was good for XP, but is not good, IMO, for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

New computers are much less expensive and much more powerful these days than they were 10 years ago. Plus, they come with the operating system installed. That too, will save you a couple of hundred dollars.