how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lizzie

@comcast.net

Haunted computer system sound with NO POWER TO COMPUTER

This is extremely wierd.

For the past 24 hours, every five minutes, I've been getting a system sound (not through the speakers, through the internal speaker). It is a 3 tone ding sound.

I shut it down (netbook, Acer Aspire One 722), unplugged it and took out the battery and
the SOUND STILL IS HAPPENING EVERY FIVE MINUTES.

How is this even possible? It's not a windows sound, it happened even as I was just starting to boot up into Windows.
I ran checkdisk, the hard drive is fine according to that.

In fact the sound continued as I was running checkdisk.
Nothing will make that sound stop.

How can a system sound keep on going even if its shut down, no battery installed and the thing is unpluged?
The hard drive isn't even running, yet the sound keeps happening.

its not one of the regular sound effects of windows. I checked all of them.

I would think it's the hard drive dying maybe, but like I said it happens even with the hard drive turned off.

The computer works perfectly. The sound is driving me nuts.

Its three notes sort of like the Windows start up sound only that one is four notes.

I can hear a very faint moaning or grinding sound after the "da da ding" so I think it's hard drive related, but still why does it happen when the hard drive is not even running and completely shut off, no power or battery hooked up?

Is it haunted? I think I will do youtube video of it, with out any source of power, but making the sound ---no one would believe it.

I have to sleep with it in the other room so I don't hear it all night long.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Who you gonna call?

If you think it is the hard drive remove it and see if you still hear it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Lizzie
It's haunted, best cleanse it with holy water and put a silver spike through it.

In all seriousness, take the HDD out of the laptop and let us know if it is still occurring. That will tell you immediately if it's something like the motherboard warning you of something (perhaps a low mobo battery?).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Lizzie

@comcast.net
reply to Hank
thats a good idea, but can a hard drive run when the computer if off, no battery or electric cord?
There is no power source for it.

I hear 3 or 4 very faint moans after the "da da ding",
not beeps, am wondering if that's a code...
the first moan is during the sound.

The manufacturer of the bios is Asus. So far I have not found any info for an Asus bios on google, as far as codes go.

I ran the smartdisk utility and there is no problem indicated.
Also no virus.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
kudos:1

2 edits
If it is a bios warning code, then we need the motherboard specs.
The other, being electronic pings suggests hardware is failing, PSU to motherboard or both, is there swollen caps on the motherboard?
Can you swap out the power supply?
Can you disconnect everything except power supply to the motherboard and it still is audible?
You will hear bios code beeps as well, but are those sounds you hear still there?

My guess is power supply unit with this limited info though.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to Lizzie
When I was a kid, I had a crystal radio I listened to. I thought it was magic! No batteries, or power needed.

Turned out, it was only science.
»sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/rad ··· dio.html

Maybe this is what's happening inside your computer?
Perhaps something is set just right enough to pick up a short-wave time signal being broadcast from somewhere, and your computer is the "receiver".

I know I have heard of similar things happening with kitchen appliances, like a refrigerator, or even someones teeth fillings, but I think that myth has been busted.

I'm sure there is an explanation for this, somewhere, someone knows how this happens.

Lizzie

@comcast.net
reply to norwegian
I will try removing the hard drive today.

I've never taken apart a laptop before but Im pretty handy.
I watched a video on youtube, looks like it's easy.

I'm still not sure how it can be the hard drive with no power supply going to it, and the sound still happens.
Same with the power supply, the sound happens without any power supply.

That's why I suspect the CMOS battery. Still, it keeps time.

It could be something like the RAM failing too. But again,
why does it happen without any power supply? Shut down?
Battery removed, power cord removed.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

3 edits
It just be an alarm notification to let you know that the CMOS battery if failing.

Did you buy this notebook new? If not could it be a theft notification?
Not implying anything, just asking the question.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to Lizzie
said by Lizzie :

I've never taken apart a laptop before but Im pretty handy.
I watched a video on youtube, looks like it's easy.

Ah, that makes it harder to work with, if it was just a desktop computer.

With no power at all is a strange one, I'd avoid pulling it apart, you may do more damage than it is worth.

What model is the laptop?

Sorry I missed the netbook reference in your first post.

On no power, how long after powering down down it happen, you say no power, but are you saying a day later it is happening or half hour after turning off?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Lizzie
said by Lizzie :

I will try removing the hard drive today.

If you can find another computer to plug it into and the sounds are there still?

Have you tried re-seating the memory stick/s?
--

Lizzie

@comcast.net
The wierdness continues:

I took out the hard drive and IT IS THE HARD DRIVE ITSELF!

I couldn't believe it. I had to take the computer without the hard drive in it to the farthest part of the house to make sure, because I couldn't believe my ears, but yes, it is the hard drive itself playing the little notes.

It has to have a battery and a speaker built into it.

It does have a round silver thing on the surface that looks like a battery although it is not removable.

Specs on the hard drive:
westerndigital

500 GB
Model number:
WD5000BPVT-22HXZT3
DATE: 6 OCT 2011

round thing in center of drive that looks like a battery
had this on a sticker over it:
71194-THF-AD
M E 1907DJ

Have you ever heard of a hard drive that plays 3 musical notes every five minutes?

What do I do now? It still works perfectly. I have noticed on rare occasions that when I am typing in a chat room,
and press the enter key, it will jump to the bottom of the webpage, but it happens rarely.

I ran checkdisk, no problems, and smart, no problems.
I also ran Seagate disk check utility:
all tests passed except the short self test: fail.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Very interesting. I just looked up the drive and do not see anywhere in the specs that there is a speaker installed. Happy to hear to found the source of the sound. Now just how does on stop it.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to Lizzie
I found this tidbit of info for this particular type of drive:

»www.smarthdd.com/en/aam.htm

Specifically the last paragraph. It "appears" that with the right tools, the AAM parameter can be adjusted to some extent.

Also, for the OP, maybe you have really sensitive "ears"

Lizzie

@comcast.net
I went to the Westerndigital site and sent them an email.

I also installed their disk check utility which found that this hard drive failed the SMART test.

So there is definitely something wrong with the drive,
but you can't tell. I am using the computer now for all my
work.

I assume it is letting me know it is failing. What a nice feature.

Odd that no one seems to have heard of a hard drive that does this.

it's so odd to have the drive out holding it in my hand, and it makes the musical sound every five minutes. It reminds me of the Edgar Allen Poe story, "The Beating Heart".

The four sounds are a vibration type sound, four pulses of it when the musical sound plays. It, all the sounds, are quite loud and I can hear it all over the house. It is super annoying and I am looking for a replacement Notebook computer. There will never be any way to stop the sounds, no matter what.
I will have to remove the hard drive and somehow destroy it, even though it still works. I plan to run over it with my car, but wouldn't be surprised if the sounds continue.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
Yep, apparently WD has built in audible warnings for SMART failures. This is the first time I have heard of it, but if you search the Web, you will find plenty of discussion on it. I still can't find any documentation as to how it works and how the speaker is powered. It could be by capacitor, in which case after a while it should silence itself. Somewhere in the world there must be some documentation as to what these sound patterns represent and maybe just maybe a method for turning the daggon thing off. That would be an amazing omission if that isn't the case. After you have backed it up twice, you might try dropping the drive in a glass of water. That will muffle the sound and eventually it should short out.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Very creative resolution Kramer.

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to Lizzie
said by Lizzie :

... I am looking for a replacement Notebook computer.

You actually just need to replace the hard drive.

If the computer is still under warranty, then Acer will help you with that, you just need to call them. Otherwise you can go to Fry's or Best Buy (just a couple of examples) to purchase a new hard drive.

That is definitely odd though; I've never heard of such a thing.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

Lizzie

@comcast.net
It is soo wierd.. I will do youtube video of it, me holding the drive while it plays it's little tune.

I want to replace the hard drive, and know how to install a new one, but the cloning of the old drive I don't understand how to do.

Does Windows 7 clone onto the new drive? Or do I need to buy a copy of it?

What software do I need?
Can anyone point me to a good link or place to tell me how to clone the new drive? Thanks!

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Most of the drive manufacturers have a utility that will clone the drive. But not sure you laptop can accommodate two hard drives at one time. Maybe you could clone it using your PC and then move it over to your laptop.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Yep, apparently WD has built in audible warnings for SMART failures.

There seems to be a "beep, beep, beep of death" some describe, but no documentation could be sourced from looking around either.

Lizzie

@comcast.net
reply to Hank
Can I clone a drive that has some kind of problem like this?
I am still using it in the computer....

The smart test showed a failure at 98, thats the part of the drive that stopped the smart test.

Can this drive even be cloned with this problem?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Yes, you are cloning the data not the physical drive.

Lizzie

@comcast.net
OMG just now it only played 2 notes, completely different notes, not the 3 it has been playing for over 2 days now. I think it must be running down. They were more faint. I knew i should have made a video of it while it was playing.

I got a reply from westerndigital that said

"I assume you mean by "musical notes" a click or buzz sound."

They don't even know they make a hard drive that does this.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I wonder if the battery is rechargeable and being out of the laptop it is not being charged. I would bet that the drive will still spin up even if the battery is fully discharged. It may have been a special order and the average rep is not aware of it.

Lizzie

@comcast.net
It's in the computer right now, I'm using it now.

It must be special alright if no one in the world but me knows it even exists, not even the maker.

Now it's back to it's usual 3 notes, but very faint. It was loud before.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to Lizzie
On my old acer, i was able to go into the bios and turn off smart on the hard drive. Maybe that would quit the tones? (or have some type of function to cease the audio?)