how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigdmrk1110

join:2006-04-24
Richardson, TX

Wet cell phone-Andriod

I took an unexpected dive into the pool yesterday and my Atrix2 from AT&T went in with me. I put it in a bag of rice for almost 24 hours at the suggestion of AT&T to dry it out. No luck-it is still kaput. I have not called AT&T back. I am one year in on a two year contract. I do not believe I can upgrade for cheap. Here are my questions. If the SIM is still good, can I buy a reasonable pre owned cell somewhere else besides AT&T? I figure my SIM would fit/work in other Motorola Androids. Any suggestions?

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
Craigslist or eBay

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN
reply to bigdmrk1110
If you go the route of purchasing a "used" phone online don't deal with anyone who won't provide you with the serial number so you can verify it is not a stolen unit before purchasing it. Many phone companies check before activation and will refuse to activate phone they fined on a reported stolen list.

I don't remember the link, but I'm sure someone else here does, where you can input the info and get basically a pass/fail response to see if a phone is legit.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to bigdmrk1110
While I'm not advocating the purchase of stolen property, I believe in the case of AT&T all information is stored on the SIM card so running the serial number of a phone may not show if it is stolen.

I would suggest dealing on eBay where you have recourse if there is an issue.

Otherwise, if you purchase locally on craigslist, make sure to activate the phone prior to paying.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to bigdmrk1110
The nice thing about AT&T is that you can put your SIM card in any unlocked phone (or phones locked to AT&T) and it will work. You don't have to call and activate the phone like you do with Verizon or Sprint.

Did you take the battery out of your phone ASAP after it got wet? Try putting it back in the rice for a couple days and see what happens. It worked for my sister's phone after it fell out of her pocket into the toilet.

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN
reply to bigdmrk1110
Taking the battery out and leaving the case open while propping the phone up against a hot air register for a day or two will also help to dry things out. A hot radiator will also work but put a plate or something between the phone and the radiator if the radiator is hot enough to burn your hand.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to bigdmrk1110
Did the bottle of JD also end up in the pool?