Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit

New kickstarter for old RPG fans: Torment

inXile, who are currently working on Wastelands 2, are bringing another old goodie back to life.

Torment: Tides of Numenera
»www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx···numenera

It's not a direct sequel, but it is a successor.

"Torment: Tides of Numenera is a game set in the world of Monte Cook’s new tabletop RPG setting, Numenera. Torment continues the thematic legacy of Planescape: Torment, a critically acclaimed role-playing game from 1999 that's considered by many to be a hallmark for storytelling in computer RPGs. With Torment, we're striving to create a rich role-playing experience that explores similar deep, personal themes. Here's the scoop:"
They've also got quite a few important people of the team from the original back, especially for writing and editing.

"Team. If you were looking for team continuity, you've got it. Many key members who played a role in the Planescape setting and Planescape: Torment are involved in Torment: Tides of Numenera. Colin McComb and Monte Cook were two of the three primary writers for TSR’s Planescape setting. Colin was also a key designer on PS:T, where he worked closely with lead designer Chris Avellone. For Torment: Tides of Numenera, Colin is leading the creative vision in the setting that Monte has crafted. The two are also joined by their long-time partner Ray Vallese, who edited and wrote for the Planescape setting and who'll be editing Torment content. (That’s right – the quality of writing for Torment is so important that we have a professional editor on the team.) Our Project Director, Kevin Saunders, wasn't on PS:T, but was the lead designer and producer for Mask of the Betrayer, regarded by many fans as the game closest to being a PS:T successor (until now!)."
As for the kickstarter itself... I just noticed the project when going through Wastelands 2 news and I think they are about set a new record and beat Project Eternity. These guys got a $1,000,000 and were fully funded in six hours. After one week, they've already picked up more than $2.5 million dollars... and there's still 3 weeks to go! That is impressive. I don't think even EA can fun a studio like that.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by ekster:

As for the kickstarter itself... I just noticed the project when going through Wastelands 2 new and I think they are about set a new record and beat Project Eternity. These guys got a $1,000,000 and were fully funded in six hours. After one week, they've already picked up more than $2.5 million dollars... and there's still 3 weeks to go! That is impressive. I don't think even EA can fun a studio like that.

It is quite impressive. I may need to throw some money their way, though, I never did play the original Planescape: Torment.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Planescape: Torment is the type of game that makes me go 'WOW' even today.

I don't even think you can call it a game... it's an interactive animated book filled with action and a bazillion choices and consequences.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

I never did play the original Planescape: Torment.

Go to GOG and buy it. Like, right now.
--
“I had to adjust my halo as I was machine-gunning hogs.” - Ted Nugent

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to ekster

The fact that Obsidian decided to break away from the publishers, and inXile is 100% breaking away from them and now on their second big game, I really hope more bigger studios try the crowdfunding method... sure, not everyone has been successful, but pretty much all the big studios that have a clear game in mind and the idea is properly introduced have raked in millions within weeks.

Imagine the possibilities if the teams who made Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Simcity, etc. did not have EA hovering over their heads and were free to create a real game, DRM-free, micro-transactions free, 1st day DLC free, and concentrating their resources on actually making the game!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to ekster

Good to see more devs doing this. Getting away from the big publishers and going indie. They can make the game without the publisher bitching to make it appeal to more people, and we get a game more geared to us. Its got nearly 3x what their goal was it looks like, hopefully that means we get a great game.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Well they have 2.5 mil already, so this should be good.

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO

said by Jobbie:

The story in the first PT was so good, that they'll have a hard time topping it with something new. I'm crossing my fingers, though, that I'll like it even half as much.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by footballdude:

said by Jobbie:

The story in the first PT was so good, that they'll have a hard time topping it with something new. I'm crossing my fingers, though, that I'll like it even half as much.

I got this from GOG for $10 a couple of months ago and it's awesome, no matter how dated it is. Even if they just respun it with new graphics (a la HL/Black Mesa) I'd be all over it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

footballdude
Premium
Imperial, MO

said by El Quintron:

said by footballdude:

said by Jobbie:

I got this from GOG for $10 a couple of months ago and it's awesome, no matter how dated it is. Even if they just respun it with new graphics (a la HL/Black Mesa) I'd be all over it.

From what I read, they are creating something totally new, thinking of it as a spiritual successor to PT. I think the reason we've gone so long without a sequel is that everyone is afraid they'll blow it and end up with Caddyshack 2.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by footballdude:

From what I read, they are creating something totally new, thinking of it as a spiritual successor to PT. I think the reason we've gone so long without a sequel is that everyone is afraid they'll blow it and end up with Caddyshack 2.

I'm not even close to finished, so I don't have any expectations but I still think it'll be excellent.

EQ
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to footballdude

They got some of the key members that made Placescape:Torment what it is, so I am sure that they will be able to pull off something interesting The way they will make death already sounds great. You can pretty much never need to reload as even dying will be an interesting adventure.

We will also implement the Castoff’s Labyrinth. Death in Torment will not be the same as “game over,” and there’s more to it this time than waking up in a mortuary. Your body is mostly immortal. Your consciousness, on the other hand, is a twisted place. When you die, your consciousness travels somewhere else, to a labyrinth of the mind.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a strange realm, a dreamlike maze of jungles, stairways, tunnels, and ruined cities. It’s your mind, but you wouldn’t know it from all that’s in here (I mean, what the hell is that dead, tentacled thing the size of a mountain range?). When you die in the game, you could always just reload, or maybe find the easy way out of the maze and back to your body. But you’d be missing out – it’s our goal to make gameplay after death compelling enough that you won’t even think about reloading.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a bizarre and interesting gameplay area, one of haunting exploration and discovery. As it grows, its secrets become deeper and more complex. Its depths are called Fathoms, and each brings new secrets and -- for the determined -- new rewards. What types of secrets and rewards? One will be lost cyphers: Each time you die, a new cypher (a single-use numenera) appears in the Labyrinth that you can take back with you. As the Labyrinth gets bigger, more of these random cyphers will become available the deeper you go. More types of secrets are attached to upcoming Stretch Goals, some of which are described below.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ekster

Project funded.

»www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx···numenera

$4,188,927
Broke Project Eternity's record.

That's just crazy the amount of money they are raising.

The guy who funded KS must be laughing all the way to the bank. His cut is 4% last I checked.

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to ekster

I never played the original game either.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to TigerLord

I'm honestly not surprised at all that they beat the record.

The second that all the big names who made all the classic RPGs started breaking off from publishers and making their own RPGs the way they want to through kickstarter, the single game that was always mentioned by everyone was Torment, when Overhaul started enhancing and upgrading Baldur's Gate series, the one game that everyone wanted them to do next was Torment, any time anyone brings up any classic RPGs... Torment is the one game that's guaranteed to be mentioned.

That game is definitely not for everyone... but I don't think anyone can say anything bad about the quality of the story, the scope of the story, the dialogue, the characters, etc. They were not only way ahead of everyone else, but they've set the bar so high that I don't think a single other RPG managed to bring out that level of details in 14 years since that game.

So yeah, it's really no surprise at the support they've received... especially if you consider the majority of the most recent RPGs.

It will be really interesting to watch what inXile comes up with for this game.