uniqs
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

1 recommendation

Kirby Smith to AndreSt

to AndreSt

Re: 2013 USG SHOULD ADD FUNCTIONALITY

Looks to me like they took a USG 50 and added memory. Even the housing is the same. Should have called it the 50 plus. Maybe the UTM processing chip is not the same as the firewall processing chip and they only speeded up the firewall chip.

As Avav implies, the point of a unified security gateway is unified security, so boosting firewall rates without boosting UTM rates is missing the point of the device.

kirby
AndreSt
join:2013-02-05

1 recommendation

AndreSt

said by Kirby Smith:

As Avav implies, the point of a unified security gateway is unified security, so boosting firewall rates without boosting UTM rates is missing the point of the device.

Yes, that's correct of course. I've to admit that I don't use any of the UTM services of my USG 50.

Who will be buying this new ZyWALL USG 100-Plus? Zyxel is going to have hard times ahead. Cisco Small Business has released some interesting competition products. Their ISA570 is an quite interesting product. But does it really do what it advertised for?

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 997.html

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Yes it very much looks like an emulation of zyxel offerings.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to AndreSt

MVM

to AndreSt
said by AndreSt:

Cisco Small Business has released some interesting competition products. Their ISA570 is an quite interesting product. But does it really do what it advertised for?

Looks interesting, its missing some features like "ip helper" -- if it had that I would buy today.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to AndreSt

Premium Member

to AndreSt
said by AndreSt:

Cisco Small Business has released some interesting competition products.

If Cisco has proven anything in the last ten years, it's that they have ZERO ability to create and support viable products for SOHO and SMB segments. You want a $5000 router to go with your $3000 switch? Cisco all the way. You want a Flip video camera or a Linksys router? Oops.

That said, ZyXEL needs to step it up. Users don't want to pay $800 to get a router that keeps up with their $100/month 100/20 Comcast Internet service, especially to then be told it maxes out at 5 megabit over VPN connections (as I was today).
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to bbarrera

to bbarrera
I learn something new here almost everyday. A little digging reveals that ip helper == DHCP relay; first time I had seen the ip-helper term, although it seems to be popular with Cisco CLI.

bb, your network must be pretty complex if the USG's ability to do DHCP for all its LANs and VLANs isn't sufficient.

kirby

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Does not the USG do relay, of something anyway.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
said by bbarrera:

said by AndreSt:

Cisco Small Business has released some interesting competition products. Their ISA570 is an quite interesting product. But does it really do what it advertised for?

Looks interesting, its missing some features like "ip helper" -- if it had that I would buy today.

We both know that is just because they do not want to sell that product into that segment
And maybe even avoid getting extra support when it might get used out of its comfortzone?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd to AndreSt

MVM

to AndreSt
said by AndreSt:

I'm impressed with the ISA570 .... no question in my mind that it will be on my shopping list next and will probably nock out ZyXEL from my list of vendors.

CISCO are finally learning that VALUE PROPOSITIONS matter ... on the other hand ZyXEL seems to be going the other way.
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

Anybody tried the new Cisco and measured what happens when all services are enabled?
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

A good point given that Provantage seems to only provide prices for combination service packages along with the physical unit. Most who pay for the entire lot will use the entire lot. Also, the naked unit cost is not obvious to compare with the XyXEL price, and who knows what the renewal cost of the service packs will be. I don't think we can compare costs yet with just the info I found.

kirby

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by mozerd:

I'm impressed with the ISA570

Got the ISA570 .... installed in 20 user office and I can state that this unit PERFORMS with all UTM services online .... no one is complaining of any speed issues in this very busy office from a computing perspective.

A superb value proposition at $734.75 [ISA570-BUN3-K9] from PROVANTAGE that includes 3 years subscription to ALL 8 UTM services.

Take Note:
Q. Do I need to buy a separate license to use security subscription services?

A. Cisco ISA500 comes standard with both hardware and UTM security services. Customers do not need to purchase a separate license for the security services.

The ISA570-BUN3-K9 bundle makes the USG 300 look a very sick puppy.

Am I impressed ---- You better believe it.
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

What's the annual maintenance/support contract cost? That has to be considered from a TCO standpoint.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

$70 for 3 year contract under the CISCO package called
CON-SBS-SVC2

This includes Phone or Online support and Firmware updates.
[edit] Also includes next day box replacement if the box fails.

Very CHEAP.
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

$70 for 3 year contract under the CISCO package called
CON-SBS-SVC2

This includes Phone or Online support and Firmware updates.

Very CHEAP.

Not as inexpensive as free, though.

I have a philosophical issue with the policy of requiring a service contract to obtain fixes for security and stability defects.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

$23 per year is not free agree but still CHEAP for a CISCO box. Plus the ISA570 has features and capabilities that FAR exceed the USG stuff -- LOOK it up for your self and DROOL. AND the CISCO documentation is written in understandable ENGLISH.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

Agree service contract cost is in the noise for a business.

Q. But how CHEAP is the renewal after three years?

Q. Is the CLI fairly standard by CISCO standards (sorry), or different, or not accessible?

kirby
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

lorennerol to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
The specs look impressive:

Stateful Packet Inspection Throughput: 500 Mbps
Maximum Connections: 40,000
Sessions Per Second (cps) : 3000
IPS Throughput: 90Mbps
AV Throughput: 80 Mbps
UTM Throughput: 75 Mbps
IPsec VPN Throughput (Data Encryption Standard [DES] / Triple DES [3DES] / Advanced Encryption Standard [AES]):130 Mbps
IPsec VPN Site-to-Site Tunnels: 100
IPsec VPN Remote Access Tunnels: 75

Especially after being told by ZyXEL support that the USG100 maxes out at 5 mbit throughput over an IPsec VPN.

Still would like to see real-world tests. As we've seen with ZyXEL the published speeds are often best-case scenarios that don't reflect what happens on typical networks.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

What is the cost of subscription services after the initial 3 years????

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 recommendation

Gork to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

this unit PERFORMS

/drool

I just want something that WORKS AS ADVERTISED. I'm tired of dealing with buggy hardware and software because I'm trying to get as much bang for the buck as possible. I just may make upgrading to a Cisco router a priority at some point. $800ish for my little network at home? SILLY! But at least it would work properly...
JPedroT
Premium Member

JPedroT

Premium Member

said by Gork:

said by mozerd:

this unit PERFORMS

/drool

I just want something that WORKS AS ADVERTISED. I'm tired of dealing with buggy hardware and software because I'm trying to get as much bang for the buck as possible. I just may make upgrading to a Cisco router a priority at some point. $800ish for my little network at home? SILLY! But at least it would work properly...

Good luck with that, we are talking about software :P
Hopefully the Cisco devices works as advertised and you guys will be happy with the device.

As other has mentioned the license you are paying is basically nothing. I pay more for my personal google app domain per month than $70 USD.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd to Kirby Smith

MVM

to Kirby Smith
said by Kirby Smith:

Q. But how CHEAP is the renewal after three years?
Q. Is the CLI fairly standard by CISCO standards (sorry), or different, or not accessible?

for the 8 UTM services the Renewal is $84 [total] per year or $250 for 3 years. This is remarkably cheaper than the USG license cost which add up to a great deal more. The renewal price depends on how its purchased since CISCO have a MSO way of doing business so the MSO could charge a lot more than what I stated. If you're wondering what MSO stands for --- Multiple Service Operator.
I do not know if CLI is available -- I used the wizards that walk you through each stage of the configuration -- I was surprized how well they work. I did not have much time to experiment or look around.
mozerd

mozerd to lorennerol

MVM

to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

Still would like to see real-world tests. As we've seen with ZyXEL the published speeds are often best-case scenarios that don't reflect what happens on typical networks.

Check out the review that SmallNetBuilder did on the ISA500W -- note that its not the ISA570 but will give you some good idea

From my current experience the ISA570 screams PERFORMANCE.