join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

[Snow] Saw this, how much is it worth?

I'm thinking about using it as a HTPC:

»www.ebay.com/itm/281074797651?ss···23.l2649

How much is this unit worth? I'm not in the mood to spend a lot, but would like to have a general idea for a 7 year old unit.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Will you be playing HiDef movies on your HTPC?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by vukodlak75:

Will you be playing HiDef movies on your HTPC?

Define HD? I'd be doing 720 max most likely. I'd be doing Hulu, Netflix, and other movie content. As well a browsing Safari. If it can't do Hulu or Netflix at least then it might really be useless. It needs to be able to play MP4 without issues, any Apple universal video file, and perhaps MKV as well. At some point, I'd upgrade the drive and throw all of my music and movies on it...so being that it has Front Row on it, this would be nice.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

I'm thinking about using it as a HTPC:

»www.ebay.com/itm/281074797651?ss···23.l2649

How much is this unit worth? I'm not in the mood to spend a lot, but would like to have a general idea for a 7 year old unit.

His listing says it is a Core i5, it isn't a Core i5...
It is a solo Core Duo, It will be limited..
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

He seemed to have copied the first part wrong. It's a 2006 Mac Mini...long before the i5's ever came out. This unit would be 32 bit.
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to J E F F

Put in a 7200 rpm drive. The one in it will be sssssllllllloooooowwwww or a SSD

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON

I'm just trying to figure out a max bid....

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Ok, 720p should be fine. I think I got the same model down in my basement for the kids to watch movies. I'm running XBMC on it, it can't play my 1080p movies though. Everything is stock on mine. The slow hard drive is not an issue since all my movies are on my NAS.
If you are going to put in a new HDD and add more memory you have to take that into account... But that unit as is I personally wouldn't pay more than $150. Just too old for my taste.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Okay....I bid accordingly..I was thinking around $150 shipped, so that's not too far off my target price.

I think my idea would be to eventually upgrade it a little bit, put an SSD inside and upgrade RAM a little, and use an external drive. Or just get a faster 7200 drive, maybe a hybrid.

I'll bid at the last possible second, only way to do things.
--

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit
reply to J E F F

Disregard

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to SuperNet9

CPU is socketed so OP can go C2D, maybe a cheap 2GHz T7200 which run all of $20 of eBay. In any event, GMA950 won't push 1080P video. 720P may be fine.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to J E F F

Just sold an early C2D, 2.0Ghz......You CAN play 1080...just, but, any other load/Network activity etc on the CPU/GPU it will stutter......mine was standard drive 2Ghz RAM..........

Got tired of the slowness......yes, an SSD would of given it a speedboost, but the GPU ( Intel) still handicapped........

Just purchased a 2012 i5 2.5..........it's probably ( feel/App launch/Graphics ( still has Intel GPU but the 4000 model with upto 768MB RAM) about 50% faster day to day, launch/running Network Apps/Movies (HTPC is all it does really)........
MY C2D went for $285........................sold some other stuff too, for about another $125 got the i5 for $500........brand new, in the box!!!!!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to J E F F

Stay away from that one...

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to J E F F

Why not get an Apple TV and stream your current Mac to it?
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by The Dv8or:

I have an Apple TV. Not everything can be streamed though.
--

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

said by J E F F:

said by The Dv8or:

I have an Apple TV. Not everything can be streamed though.

You can stream the desktop, and play whatever you want on the Mac screen. Personally, I just convert all my shit to something that can be loaded into iTunes.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.