Upgrade to IE10

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to ispalten
Oh you are on 10...downgrade to 9 and see what happens (if you haven't already) but 10 is the most compliant of any IE version in history so its not likely to be 10.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

Oh you are on 10...downgrade to 9 and see what happens (if you haven't already) but 10 is the most compliant of any IE version in history so its not likely to be 10.

Gary, thanks, but it doesn't happen on my wife's computer? We're both running W8, IE 10, FF 19.0.2. Chrome doesn't have the problem, but it was installed AFTER I discovered the problem.

SFC /SCANNOW finds no problems. I'm almost leaning towards the video driver now, it was installed on the end of Jan., logic being it was something installed that changed some files. Since Chrome isn't a problem and it was installed last, it would be something like that I assume?
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to ispalten
OK, now I am TOTALLY confused!!!

IE10 is working correctly now? Only FF is the one that doesn't?

I suspect it might be my ATI HD4780 display driver. I've been 'trying' to REMOVE it without success, W8 kept putting it back... must be buried somewhere in one of the Windows folders and ADD/REMOVE doesn't find it either, or possibly a Windows file was modified when I installed it so it always gets installed. Latest driver is WDDM certified, so maybe that is why, but since 'fooling' with it, IE 10 now works?

I *know* it didn't when I posted this originally!

Nayan, do you have both IE and FF failing? Do you have an ATI video card?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ispalten
Irv why on earth did you upgrade to 8. Please for the love God and all things sacred go back to 7. There's a reason why people are asking for new equipment to be configured with 7 even if it means they have to wait an extra day or two to receive the equipment.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

Irv why on earth did you upgrade to 8. Please for the love God and all things sacred go back to 7. There's a reason why people are asking for new equipment to be configured with 7 even if it means they have to wait an extra day or two to receive the equipment.

Gary, I like to be ahead of the curve, the 'bleeding edge of technology', so to speak, and you know why it is called that. I'll use Beta code and do some beta testing.

Laraine had just gotten a new computer from Dell with W7. By the time I had gotten it all set up for her, installed needed programs, copied over need files, and was ready to give it to her, W8 shipped. I let her use W7 on it for a few weeks and then imaged what she had and installed W8. She had some problems, most notable was Norton Ghost, and once I even had to do a REFRESH as she lost some Live Tiles (that she never uses). After a month she had gotten used to W8 and liked it, so I jumped in on my 3 1/2 year old computer. I like it, still have some problems with Live Tiles, that I really don't need, as far as I'm concerned, these just duplicate what I have on the iPad basically or can get via a browser.

Since Nov. we've both been on W8, and overall, it works well and seems to be W7, and you'd think that it was if you saw my desktop (except for the missing Start Orb which there are 3rd party replacements one can use).

I must say the problems are either due to mfg'ers not releasing W8 apps that support it or device drivers, but otherwise, probably 98% of what we have runs smoothly.

Other than having to replace Norton's Ghost with Symantec's System Restore 2013 (or another back-up app) there is no major problems. I consider the web mail problem minor as it works, but annoying because it CHANGED appearance and I do not KNOW why?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by ispalten:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Gary, I like to be ahead of the curve, the 'bleeding edge of technology', so to speak, and you know why it is called that. I'll use Beta code and do some beta testing.

Laraine had just gotten a new computer from Dell with W7. By the time I had gotten it all set up for her, installed needed programs, copied over need files, and was ready to give it to her, W8 shipped. I let her use W7 on it for a few weeks and then imaged what she had and installed W8. She had some problems, most notable was Norton Ghost, and once I even had to do a REFRESH as she lost some Live Tiles (that she never uses). After a month she had gotten used to W8 and liked it, so I jumped in on my 3 1/2 year old computer. I like it, still have some problems with Live Tiles, that I really don't need, as far as I'm concerned, these just duplicate what I have on the iPad basically or can get via a browser.

Since Nov. we've both been on W8, and overall, it works well and seems to be W7, and you'd think that it was if you saw my desktop (except for the missing Start Orb which there are 3rd party replacements one can use).

I must say the problems are either due to mfg'ers not releasing W8 apps that support it or device drivers, but otherwise, probably 98% of what we have runs smoothly.

Other than having to replace Norton's Ghost with Symantec's System Restore 2013 (or another back-up app) there is no major problems. I consider the web mail problem minor as it works, but annoying because it CHANGED appearance and I do not KNOW why?

You are on your own Irv because I won't be supporting 8 for a while if at all. If you have followed me long enough I also did the same thing with Vista...in fact I skipped over it entirely because it was so bad. W8 is quickly falling into that category so aside from the obvious issues that I can pin to this, that or the other thing others here will have to help you on stuff like this.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

You are on your own Irv because I won't be supporting 8 for a while if at all. If you have followed me long enough I also did the same thing with Vista...in fact I skipped over it entirely because it was so bad. W8 is quickly falling into that category so aside from the obvious issues that I can pin to this, that or the other thing others here will have to help you on stuff like this.

Gary, understand. My computer came with Vista and I couldn't WAIT for W7 to arrive, it was very 'slow'.

I don't know where this problem lies... and if it works now in IE and Chrome, that to me indicates it might not be W8. FF works on my wife's system, so it could my (and Nayan's) system due to other s/w installed?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ispalten
Or it could just be Windows 8. Not even going to venture a guess.

Keiro

join:2005-10-25
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
said by BHNtechXpert:

Or it could just be Windows 8. Not even going to venture a guess.

Same here. I've no clue on W8... I mean, I know you were on W8, but the programs were familiar that I thought I might be able to help.

Alas... no can do.
--
Wanderer of the Stars...

Heimkoma Services and EidolonHost

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to ispalten
Well, with FF 20.0.1 it is showing the same as IE 10 now? Display must have been a FF 19.0.x handling problem I guess? Not a W8 problem since somewhere between the original posting IE 10 started to work again?

However, even though the screen/web page displays correctly, when I try to enter the mail I get this error, "Your session has expired. Please log in again.", however it works FINE in IE 10?

Oh, now it isn't working it seems? Same messed up page? I think the difference is that if I just go there directly on open it works fine, but when I've already opened FF and now try to put the e-mail on another tab it shows incorectly. Got to be a FF problem.
--
Irv Spalten