spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cityplaceUse

@199.198.223.x

Toronto CityPlace internet options

What are the options for internet in CityPlace? I thin the Telus service is a bit expensive, I can get Acanac cable for $15 less per month and also unlimited, could I get that? Or are the cityplace building exclusive to telus?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
Depends what building you're in within the development... Some of the original buildings may have access to Bell facilities, so DSL becomes an option. Rogers provides the cable tv; so Rogers Internet (and other TPIA providers) should also be available.

That said, the TELUS Internet there is unbelievable for the price... 100 meg Ethernet to the suite; for (I think) under $90/mth is tough to beat.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to cityplaceUse
100 megabit unlimited fiber direct from the incumbent carrier for $90 a month and you want to save $15 by getting cable from Acanac?!?! BaaaWUHHHH?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Guspaz:

100 megabit unlimited fiber direct from the incumbent carrier for $90 a month and you want to save $15 by getting cable from Acanac?!?! BaaaWUHHHH?

Good. Fast. Cheap. Choose any two.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by DKS:

Good. Fast. Cheap. Choose any two.

Ordinarily, I'd agree; but in this case, I think it's possible to go three for three...

Double checked... It's $95/mth for 100 meg; $45/mth for 25 meg.

I'm familiar with the infrastructure - 100 meg EttS, gig-e trunks to the core; multi-gig back haul to 151 Front, where the Internet connection is made...

It's about as good as it gets, to be honest... If TELUS would offer TELUS Tv there, it would be truly unbelievable...

cityplaceUse

@199.198.223.x
reply to Guspaz
I was comparing to the cheaper telus option that costs $50. why would i pay $90 per month for internet? who needs that speed :P

i am talking about the newest building, building S on iceboat terrace (grand parade 2)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by cityplaceUse :

why would i pay $90 per month for internet? who needs that speed :P

You've picked an odd place to ask that question :P
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to cityplaceUse
said by cityplaceUse :

I was comparing to the cheaper telus option that costs $50. why would i pay $90 per month for internet? who needs that speed :P

You paid how much for your condo? And you're concerned about the cost of the internet service? Which BTW quality wise is probably the best infrastructure in all of Canada.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Ordinarily, I'd agree; but in this case, I think it's possible to go three for three...

Double checked... It's $95/mth for 100 meg; $45/mth for 25 meg.

Even for the average user, $45/month for 25 meg (presumably symmetrical) is an outstanding value.

The 100 meg option, for the money, is a huge bargain also. Not sure why anyone would choose any other provider if they have that available.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
I'd probably go for the 25.. At $45 a month, you're in the basic DSL price range with dry loop. My left nut for that plan

cityplaceUse

@199.198.223.x
you guys are looking at the bundled rates that apply if you have a home phone with telus. the regular rate is $50 per month. it also has a 200GB monthly cap.

Acanac has DSL for $35 for 15mbps and no caps. Or cable for same price but 28mbps. only catch is you have to sign up for a year.

so to me, acanac seems like the better deal

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to cityplaceUse
Telus no longer offers unlimited at CityPlace.

Most CityPlace buildings are exclusively Telus and Rogers/Rogers TPIAs. Most buildings do not have Bell so DSL is likely not an option. If costs is a concern, I'd go with a TPIA, but Telus is a good service all around. Fast, and consistent speeds that aren't outrageously priced.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Not Telus, Look at Beanfield, they've wired up tons of buildings downtown.

FFTHTechie

@axxent.ca
reply to cityplaceUse
Beanfield connect offers 100/100 for $60 CAD a month however the Condo's that use it won't have occupancy till the earliest date of 2014.

Telus still offers 100/5 FTTP/FTTB however they have a 300Gb cap and the costs are much more expensive than Beanfield connect. Apparently the bandwidth cap is unenforced if you refer to some Cityplace owners comments.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Telus no longer offers unlimited at CityPlace.

Most CityPlace buildings are exclusively Telus and Rogers/Rogers TPIAs. Most buildings do not have Bell so DSL is likely not an option. If costs is a concern, I'd go with a TPIA, but Telus is a good service all around. Fast, and consistent speeds that aren't outrageously priced.

On paper, TELUS is no longer offering unlimited; but I've yet to actually hear from someone who's received an overage notice; let alone a charge...

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to FFTHTechie
said by FFTHTechie :

Beanfield connect offers 100/100 for $60 CAD a month however the Condo's that use it won't have occupancy till the earliest date of 2014.

Looks like Beanfield is offering IPTV and phone services as well. Will Bell and Rogers even bother laying their infrastructure in these buildings?

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to FFTHTechie
said by FFTHTechie :

They can connect old condos too, Pure Spirits in the Distillery District got lit up recently, and I believe they looking at a few other buildings on the eastern part of downtown.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by FFTHTechie :

Looks like Beanfield is offering IPTV and phone services as well. Will Bell and Rogers even bother laying their infrastructure in these buildings?

Sure they will, they'll bribe provide incentives to the building manager/condo board to make them exclusive.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
I don't know what Rogers is doing, but Bell negotiates with developers and is installing fiber in all new condos now.

Old buildings are screwed, unless there is an easy way to wire them up. The property managers/owners/board have to throw their own money at upgrading the building, so far as I can tell nobody is offering incentives to make FTTH exclusive except a few Telus-served buildings @ Cityplace.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Bell and Rogers can install fibre in these new buildings, but I doubt they would ever offer the same prices and speeds as Beanfield so what would be the point?

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
That's especially true with Rogers, since even if they have FTTH they are delivering their product over DOCSIS. 320 Richmond St East has Bell 175/175, but Rogers, who are still selling services in the building (they didn't get blocked out) can't let you order anything better than Ultimate 150/10

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to cityplaceUse
Problem with retrofitting old buildings is getting to the suite... Getting fibre into the main IT is no big deal... Even the risers are generally accessible; it's the last 100' that's the issue.

Bell did play with putting VDSL remotes in condo's, and using VDSL over existing copper to get to the suite - works, but fairly expensive way to go...

FIOS just said screw it, and ran surface mounted access fibre in the hallways of buildings they installed; much to the displeasure of building owners and tenants...

Anyways - getting away from the OP, so I'll shut up now...

FTTHTechie

@axxent.ca
reply to BliZZardX
"They can connect old condos too, Pure Spirits in the Distillery District got lit up recently, and I believe they looking at a few other buildings on the eastern part of downtown."

Beanfield has a map for their Residential Services. If Pure Spirits was wired for FTTP/FTTB then it was part of their Beanfield Metroconnect Business division.

»www.beanfieldcondoconnect.com/ne···map.html

There is also a listing for their Commercial/Business wiring and which buildings are wired for FTTP/FTTB here:

»www.beanfield.com/onnet.html

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
It's a residential connection at 33 Mill St, the Condoconnect website hasn't been updated in ages and for the most part only contains info regarding their partnership with Waterfronttoronto, I think this happened outside of that. But if you look on the map, the area of Parliament & Front is there highlighted in purple.

FTTHTechie

@axxent.ca
"It's a residential connection at 33 Mill St, the Condoconnect website hasn't been updated in ages and for the most part only contains info regarding their partnership with Waterfronttoronto, I think this happened outside of that. But if you look on the map, the area of Parliament & Front is there highlighted in purple."

Perhaps it's a residential connection. However the real question that should be asked is how many can afford to live in that part of downtown Toronto such as Cityplace and the Beanfield Connect Condo's. Especially considering that the minimum monthly rent payment I've seen for a Cityplace condo is roughly $1800 CAD. It's obviously an overinflated housing and condo market supplemented by the $86 Billion bailout in 2009 by the Harper government.

$60 Dollars with Beanfield connect is a great deal (compared to pricing of similar plans from Telus/Bell/Rogers) however compared to the price that Romanians, Lithuanians , South Koreans and others pay for FTTH of similar magnitude it's still a tad pricy.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
Rent is definitely pretty high, but if you were to buy a condo, Cityplace is definitely one of the most affordable developments in the downtown area. Bachelor's and One bedroom condos can be bought in the 300k region, which is low for downtown Toronto standards.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to FTTHTechie
People live where they can afford to live (unless they are frugal by choice). I've been downtown for over 6 years now and rents have always fluctuated between $2 and $3 per square foot, the upper end usually being "luxury" with things like like 24 hour security and squash courts or swimming pools.

If it appeases you at all Beanfield is installing fiber in the new TCHC public housing project in West Don Lands too: »www.torontohousing.ca/investing_···donlands

If you want a better price on housing you have to look outside the core in places like Parkdale or West Donlands. West Donlands is actually cheaper than City Place right now, the area had a bad reputation being right underneath Regent Park and all so these new developments need to prove themselves.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to yyzlhr
300K for a box in the sky that's probably sub 600 sqft

No thanks.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by elwoodblues:

No thanks.

That's the sacrifice you make for location.

Many would say no thanks to a 2000 sq. ft house for 300k that's an hour or more away from everything.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

No thanks.

I agree; but a guy I work with thinks I'm nuts for my commute... It's a matter of opinion, I guess.

(For the record - I built a 1500 sq ft bungalow on a 1/3 acre in a small town this summer, just over an hour north of the city... About 350k - comparable to a 1 bedroom w/den at Cityplace, in the 700 sq ft range).

Oh, and I have 9' ceilings in my basement; so usable space is almost 3000 sq ft. And can park 2 cars in the garage, and 4 more in the drive...

My house in mid-town TO? 750 to a mil... I'll keep my drive; thanks.

LOL - my Rogers Internet, however, does lack; compared to what those glass skyboxes have available, though... You win some; you lose some...