leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Comet Pan-STARRS

So who all went out last night shortly after sunset to watch Comet Pan-STARRS ?

I watched the crescent moon from about 7:15 to 8:00 PM but failed to see the comet (which was supposed to be towards the left and slightly higher then the moon).

I have since seen a picture (also taken from Sunnyvale) showing both moon and comet and realize that the distance between them was larger then the area I focused on (the comet was further left and slightly below the moon). That dark smog cloud didn't help either (in the picture the comet is on the edge of the cloud and depending on difference in viewing angle for my location may have covered the comet completely).

If you haven't seen it yet, it should remain visible low in the western sky for up to one hour after sunset: Mercury News comet viewing guide.

If you took pictures, please post.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

It was BELOW the moon last night. At about 8pm you could see it if you looked about 10-20 degrees above horizon between where the sun set and where the moon was. It was much lower than I expected, and by 8:05 had dipped below the western mountain range for me in San Jose.

Very faint, you'd need binoculars to see it, but it was there, with the tail pointing "up" towards the moon.

Tomorrow I believe it is to the right of the moon.

scroll down mid page for where to look tonight:

»earthsky.org/space/comet-panstar···rch-2013
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
I almost gave up again last night when I could see a very clear moon but no comet. I used the chart from the San Jose Amateur Astronomer site (linked in the Mercury News article) which shows the daily position of the comet.

Luckily someone who brought binocular and telescope for his kid shared with all of us so that everybody got to see it.

The comet will continue to slowly move to the right (north) and also slightly higher above the horizon which should make viewing easier in the coming days. On the other hand increasing distance from the sun may also mean the comet getting even dimmer.

If only I could find that nice 10x50 binocular I used to have
--

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to leibold
I'm going to have to search for my binoculars and see if I can see anything tonight.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

I'm going to have to search for my binoculars and see if I can see anything tonight.

Aim them this way, sashie

I'll be waving

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to leibold
How in the world I missed this ?
I'm getting the gears ready, I hope I can take a nice photo tonight.

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
No rush, the comet is going to be with us for another week at least

Best viewing is about 30 minutes after sunset. 1 hour after sunset you missed it.
--

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to leibold
Yeah I've looked the last couple of nights. Bupkis.

Even when I find a spot without massive trees in the way, we have the Santa Cruz mountains between us and the horizon. The comet is just too low right now.

There's going to be another comet this year, in the end of November. Hopefully that one puts on a better show.

Anyone here remember Comet Kohoutek? I was a small kid, but I remember it being clearly visible in the day time.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
reply to leibold
It's been pretty cloudy here to see it after sunset. I'm really looking forward to the one at the end of this year. It's supposed to be the most spectacular in human history.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Yeah I've looked the last couple of nights. Bupkis.

Wily said "bupkis"

I haven't heard that in soooo long..

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to leibold
Too much "high fog" to see anything last night here.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

Too much "high fog" to see anything last night here.

Reminds me of my younger days...