spc
uniqs
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to battleop

to battleop

Re: they made the biggest mistake here.

They're likely just looking for the low-hanging fruit. If they can get you guys to surrender the info without having to get a subpoena, it's a good shot at free money for them, provided the customer rolls over and pays a settlement. And if the customer won't settle, the copyright troll can choose to walk away without incurring a significant financial hit. If they have to actually spend money to get that info, then they actually risk losing money if the customer chooses to fight. That messes up their revenue stream. Better to move on to an ISP that will cough up the info more easily.

And this doesn't even take into account the completely fraudulent requests, where the person calling has other, more nefarious reasons for wanting that information.

Ianto Jones
join:2011-01-01
Merchantville, NJ

Ianto Jones

said by ISurfTooMuch:

They're likely just looking for the low-hanging fruit.

Not only from ISPs, but from broadband subscribers too... And this time, they are fighting back. Of course, there is a lot involved in the case... it's not so much that he didn't do it - but the whole web that is Prenda... and them committing fraud on the court.

I just read the depo that is referenced in the article... almost 300 pages, but entertaining. (I wasn't working today, so I spent the day reading the various articles on this saga)

The judge def. is not happy... I wouldn't be surprised at all if all those associate with Prenda are never heard from again.