kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to ground

Re: More router questions: Rooming house with 15 tenants

said by ground:

said by Teddy Boom:

pfsense, monowall, whatever..

My experience shows that 99% of landlords will not like the idea of a separate computer running 24/7 because of increased electricity usage. Get something small business all-in-one from a reputable brand and forget it, otherwise get ready to be on that guy's speed dial list

With 15 tenants you think the landlord is going to sweat bricks over a tiny smaller than mITX based PC...? How many fridges/stoves must in this place. A pfense box will hardly even register on his bill.

The solution needs to be solid and I echo tdiguy's recommendation on network architecture. What I especially like about this is that it should limited the tenants creating their own networks. I doubt you'll see too many break out another router in a wireless bridge type of setup. A dual WAN router would be creme de-la creme for this type of house but if the existing DSL connection is going to stay then why not have it configured in failover for the occasional blip. Sure beats the hell out of 15 tenants calling you to say the net is out again because Rogers decided to do maintenance in the middle of the day.

anon user

@start.ca
What many of the suggestions here are overlooking is the security needed between tenants as well.

Tenant A's equipment should not be able to discover Tenant B's.

Each tenant should have a wired connection to their space, which would be on a separate vlan. Most of the router options here will do this, pfsense tomato etc. If a tenant wants wireless they should setup their own AP/router.

Some wireless devices offer "guest isolation", but I'd be upset if my own devices could not communicate on the same network.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to tdiguy
said by tdiguy :

The only downside is if the client has a VOIP device they will not be able to use it in their room.

Tenants could use an Obihai OBi202 ATA with the OBiWiFi Wireless Adapter.

»amzn.com/B007D930YO | »amzn.com/B007R6F7PS

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Amazon.com doesn't ship Obi to Canada so it's actually cheaper you order from Acrovoice »www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
15 tenants.... Don't get caught like the Scarborough peeps.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac

1 edit
reply to Teddy Boom
15 people is nothing. Any router that can't handle that shouldn't exist in the first place.
And you are all talking about getting a super fast 150 Mbps connection.
Unless it's in the contract or the students are ready to pay more to get it, I wouldn't bother and get something cheaper. Most of them might not even care.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Could you reference whatever it is you are talking about please?
--
electronicsguru.ca

franch

join:1999-11-03
Canada
said by Teddy Boom:

said by geokilla:

Could you reference whatever it is you are talking about please?

The don't getting caught thing was the first thing that crossed my mind. »www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02···use.html

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by franch:

The don't getting caught thing was the first thing that crossed my mind. »www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02···use.html

I see.. Interesting

So geokilla is assuming my customer's place is illegal, which is at best a wild speculation. I guess I shouldn't expect better from the wilds of the internet though.
--
electronicsguru.ca

mario9999998

join:2000-08-25
Canada
reply to Teddy Boom
My vote is m0n0wall on an old/used laptop (add ethernet via Expresscard/PCMCIA). Laptops typically have lower power usage compared to desktops, have a built-in backup battery, and are much smaller than desktops. You can add two cheap wireless APs to cover each end of the 2.4GHz spectrum (half users on one, half on the other).

The traffic shaping functionality of m0n0wall is superb and worked perfectly for me when I lived with 4 other students (heavy torrenters). It ensured no slowdowns and VOIP connections worked fine simultaneously too.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to anon user
said by anon user :

Some wireless devices offer "guest isolation", but I'd be upset if my own devices could not communicate on the same network.

Guest isolation would be a must in this case. A motivated tenant could easily setup their own wireless bridge into their own network.

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
reply to Teddy Boom
Personally if I were to ever own a rooming house I would install the internal cabling to a central location to enable the tenants to order which ever type of internet service they wanted on their own.
I would not want to be the one who owned the connection in which multiple people that I have no control over use, due to something that happened right here in my area last year.

Police track student secret downloads
»www.nugget.ca/2012/09/24/police-···ownloads