spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mrmutzi
@uiowa.edu

Mrmutzi

Anon

[Qwest] Have had my modem replaced 3 times now

I currently have centurylink which worked just fine for 6 months, then my pk5000z broke and they sent me a new one and it worked just fine for 2 months. Then all of a sudden my wifi stopped working. I could only connect using my ethernernet cable. Tried resetting to factory default and it would allow me connect to the wireless and go online for a few minutes but then if i tried connecting new units it won't let let mw and if i disconnect the first computer it wont let me reconnect. It just says was unable to connect. When i check with my ethernet cable i can see it connect and gets an ip address in the pk5000z but my other laptop still says cant connect. Then i have to reset the whole thing and it will work for a few minutes. Have spent over 10+ hours trying to fix it myself and over 8 hours with support that keeps trying the same things. They have now sent me my 3rd new pk5000z to see if that would work which i doubt. We tried changing security settings, everything has been changed and nothing seems to work except the ethernet connection. Its on all computer that try to connect and does not matter if one connects before the other. I did notice an ip address at some points was connected to my wifi that i have no idea where came from but even if somebody hacked my modem the new modem with a new password should have fixed that. Does anybody have any suggestions since centurylink doesnt know how to fix it??

its just dsl
@embarqhsd.net

its just dsl

Anon

I think Zyxel has produced a POS modem with the 5000 series. Sure Centurylink probably went to Zyzel and said what do you have at a certain price point. Testing in a nice clean lab was probably fine but in the real world it's crap.

Look at just late last fall with the DHCP (old embarq areas) dropping connection with the 5001. It was a bug in the firmware causing the Redback to give out a new IP (the reset was enough to drop your connection especially if you were on a VPN). Centurylink found the issue and went back to Zyxel with it and Zyxel issued a firmware upgrade.

My suggestion is to look thru the threads in the Centurylink forum as many folks bought their own modem and you can see what works best.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Mrmutzi

MVM

to Mrmutzi
My suggestion - disable the wireless, put the modem in bridge mode, and get a separate wireless router.

If you want an all-in-one unit, you can get the ActionTec C1000A in CenturyLink packaging at Best Buy for $99.

Mrmutzi
@uiowa.edu

Mrmutzi

Anon

Well i tried with another modem/router combo (my old modem/router) which have been working before but this time these didn't even work. That's why i think it might be something related to the centurylink connection itself, even thought it works using ethernet. Tried rebooting last night and it worked for like 5 min and i could log multiple computer on but then it stopped working again. It says pre assosciation works but final association doesn't work.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If you can get on with the ethernet cable, and you have a stable connection, then the wireless is the issue. Try changing channels, SSID, and the security key.
player
join:2005-09-28

player to Mrmutzi

to Mrmutzi
Disable the wireless on the DSL Modem and add a wireless router like the NetGear WNR3500L. This router can be flashed to open firmware like DD-WRT and is very affordable. If you want something nicer, try the WNDR4500 N900 model.

To keep the wireless connection stable, the trick is to have a wireless router that allows you to automatically turn off the wireless signal for an hour at night, say 3am. DD-WRT has this feature and so do the more mid-range router interfaces. Once you do this, you will never need to mess with resetting your wireless again. It fixes Apple devices like your iPod and iPhone from losing their connection every other day. Trust me, this just works! It saves a little electricity too.

I know it kind of sucks having to have two devices, but in the end, this setup will work better than any single device and you can always upgrade your wireless router without messing up your DSL connection.