Search similar:

uniqs
DocLarge
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08

DocLarge

Premium Member

[PBX] Voice Vlan on Cisco Switch with Asterisk

Just wanted to check and see is anyone has had any problems with Asterisk (FreePBX in this case) maintaining internet connectivity after putting the port it's associated with in a voice vlan:

router(config-if)#switchport mode access
router(config-if)#switchport voice vlan 10

After doing this, my two FreePBX phone lines dropped; when I removed the command connectivity, came back.

Still doing my homework; has anyone else already been through this?

Thanks.

Jay
michaelo
Premium Member
join:2002-12-14
Greenville, SC

michaelo

Premium Member

There are probably a number of things that could cause this but one guess would be you are using an IP phone that doesn't support CDP so the voice VLAN can't be negotiated.
DocLarge
Premium Member

DocLarge

Premium Member

That could be a possibility... I'm running a Grandstream GXV3140 with SIP. My cisco ip phones have a mixture of SCCP and MGCP, but I keep them mainly on my standalone voice lab segment (I'm currently studying for the CCNA Voice exam).

I'm looking at getting an organization I work for to "possibly" invest in the Asterisk (FreePBX) platform now that sequester actions have pretty much killed funding...

Thanks for the hint of where to look...

Jay
petecool
join:2011-09-22
Calgary, AB

petecool to DocLarge

to DocLarge
You need to configure the ports connecting to the Asterisk server as:
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10

switchport voice vlan is used by the CDP or LLDP negociations done by an endpoint (phone) when booting up. At boot up, the phone tells the switch it can use a data vlan (port for PC at the back of the phone) and a voice vlan. You can define both VLAN's separately with "access vlan" (data) and "voice vlan" (for voice traffic obviously)

With any device that doesn't do this kind of negociation, even though it is indeed a voice vlan, you need to use access
DocLarge
Premium Member

DocLarge

Premium Member

Hi Pete. What you're suggesting is how I typically have things setup . I was under the impression that both the server "and" the phones needed to be configured for the same voice vlan...

My Grandstream is connected via wireless and being that I haven't look3d into a wireless voice vlan configuration yet, the voice packets get choppy while downloading. I've already enabled "auto qos" but I believe additional succes will come from establishing the voice vlan...

Thanks...

Jay