spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pb101

@verizon.net

issues bridging mi424WR rev i routers

I'm attempting to use a second mi424WR rev-I router to extend the wireless range of my first. I followed the directions here:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

I'm able to connect to both routers via 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. It seems to work fine as two different networks with two different SSIDs but that is not ideal. If I rename the SSID of the 2nd network to match the first, I just end up connecting to the 1st network with the weaker signal.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or let me know what I did wrong I'd appreciate!

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA
kudos:1

Sadly, actiontec completely removed the bridge function on their router. If you're on MOCA, you can request to be switched to ethernet and put your own router in, but you might be charged and you might have unsightly wire ran to the location.
--
Message Of The Day
Error 500:

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Does that mean that the rev-I can't be used to set up a MoCA network like the earlier revs could?
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

1 recommendation

NO, all the Verizon Moca routers Actiontec, rev A - I are essentially the same can be configured to be LAN bridges.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Good news. Thanks. I bought a rev-I yesterday and thought I messed up by doing so.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

antioch

join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA

That's news to me. We just got a lot of documentation on how they've removed the bridge feature and provided us with a number direct to Actiontec for issues.
--
Fiber Network Technician
Pomona, CA

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1 recommendation

said by antioch:

We just got a lot of documentation on how they've removed the bridge feature

As I alluded in another thread, there a difference between bridging the WAN connection and creating a MOCA LAN bridge.

Creating a WAN bridge requires splitting the Broadband coax and Broadband ethernet interfaces. It is this capability that has been removed from the rev. I.

Using an Actiontec as a MOCA LAN bridge does not require any special "bridging" in the router. The capability is built in to the Network Home/Office interface group.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.